Need advice for recording with Axe FX patches

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Albake21, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Hey everyone! I have had my AX8 for a few months now and I absolutely love it! I just had some problems and questions on getting a good tone while recording with it.

The way I record right now is running my 1/4" Right and Left out in stereo mode through my Scarlett 2i2 and it works great. I also double track at all times. My question though is how should I go by making patches for recording purposes. For example, if I have a good patch that I enjoy to jam with, how should I go by tweaking it to be used for recording purposes? Right now if I record with my current patches, the frequencies are all over the place when palm muting and open chords. Even if I EQ it, it still doesn't sound good.

I was always told that Axe FX recording patches are way different from live patches. If I could get some advice, it would be much appreciated. Thank you!

2. pettymusic

pettymusic SS.org Regular

Hey man, I have an Axe II and I have already had to work my way through this very issue. Yes, studio patches should be different. You can use the same patch or just copy it to another slot and mod as needed. One of the things that helped me out with palm mutes is using a multi band compressor at the end of your chain and only compress the bass freq maybe 180hz and lower. The other thing is for me, it’s best to get all the other instruments recorded then track guitars and listen back to see what is needed for the guitars to sit right in the mix. Using various cab irs are usually a key starting point. I tend to like any of Bulb’s cab packs but, the latest one really helps my guitars sit in the mix how I like to hear them. The only other thing is just using the EQ and some analog imitating plugins to add some flavor. Sometimes I use the multiband compressor in my daw instead of the Axe’s. All depends. But, I never know where my tone needs to go until I get the rest of my instruments done. Good luck!!

3. Albake21

Awesome, I appreciate it. I will have to try some of your ideas tonight. I'll also take a look at Misha's IRs. It's definitely the sound I'm looking for. I should have also noted that I mainly record with my 7 string, so the other issue I've been having is tightening the 7th string. Thank you!

4. pettymusic

Are you using a drive pedal in front of your amp block? That works really well for tightening up the 7 string. When I get home, I’ll be happy to post some of my presets for you. I use 7 and 6 strings as well.

5. Albake21

Yup, I've also used different amps. I think it also has to do with me just being inexperienced with creating good sounding patches. I'd happily take a look at some of your patches just for reference.

6. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

Well what's your current chain and settings? Give us a few screenshots and let us talk through the patches.

Generally the best patches I've made for both live and studio went like this:

1 - Start with the amp you want to use flat stock settings. If it's metal rhythm you CAN chuck a boost in front before you start tweaking, it's neither here nor there. Start playing with IRs until you find the one/s you like.

2 - Once you've got the IR you want, tweak the amp settings until it's getting a little closer.

3 - Don't play with effects yet. Before you do any gating or similar, put a filter in front of everything. Work out the fundamental of the lowest note you're playing and remove everything below that frequency, because it's all mud and eating into your gain structure and headroom.

4 - Sometimes removing some low mid mud from the guitar will help clean and tighten things up.

5 - As many parametric EQs after the amp as you need to tidy it up. Usually 1 or 2 will do it depending on the tone you're going for. Only make cuts. Remove the gunk from the sound. The low mids, the upper highs and non musical lows are a place to start, but also any whistle tones and grating sounds that don't fit.

6 - Put your effects in parallel on one of the lanes. Set that lane's level to -6dB as a starting point, which will be about the equivalent of a 50% mix (adjust as necessary). Put the mix of any effects at 100% - you can now EQ your effects separately very easily. Delays and reverbs do well when decorrelated, so taking out the upper highs and lows and getting some more of the mids out usually helps.

7 - Multiband compression, general compression, and a touch of room reverb all help on the main lane, depending on style

7. Albake21

Thank you for the write-up/guide! I'm at work right now, so I don't have any access to my patches, but I will definitely post them tonight. I'll also try building a new patch with your advice.

One thing I did last night was take @pettymusic advice and I bought Misha's newest IR pack. Definitely helped my sound. Although just this one pack alone has over 300 IRs, so I am a bit overwhelmed. First time I've ever used 3rd party IRs before.

8. pettymusic

Argh! This site won’t allow me to upload a .sysex file. I also realized that you said your running an axe8 and I’m using AxeII. All my presets have 2 amps running simultaneously which would not work for the Axe8. I used to have an Axe8 so, let me see if I can locate any backups and post to the Axexchange site then post the link here. Full disclosure, my main rhythm patches are really simple. Compressor >drive (or fxloop for outboard drive pedal)>amp>gate>cab usually does the trick. My amp eq usually only has a slight cut in the mids. I usually opt for the 6160 or HBE. I do have a really good Mesa Rec patch that I enjoy and I find myself jumping between the three.

Also, on those cab packs, I usually start out with the mix folder or the favorites folder (is that what it’s named?) I usually find a suitable IR there unless I’m after something specific.

9. pettymusic

10. pettymusic

11. Albake21

Man this is awesome, I really appreciate it! I will definitely give them a try once I get home from work tonight. I'm definitely no stranger to using Fractool since most patches are for Axe FX2. Like I said before, the cab pack made a HUGE difference in tightening my tone and giving me a bit more of what I wanted. Also just makes it easier to get the tone I want.

12. pettymusic

Haha! If this is your first dive into IRs then you might be busy for some time. I used to think that tone came from the amp but, over the years learned the cabinets and speakers have far more to do with tone than I ever thought. Be sure to check out Ownhammer's IR collection (They actually helped created some of the Axe's stock IRs). Celestion has a batch of IRs as well. I have sets from both but, I always go back to Bulb's IRs for some reason. I didn't care for Celestion's but, lots of others enjoy them. While I do like Ownhammer's, I'm able to more quickly find what I like from any of the Bulb packs. Probably just they they're organized or something. Anyway, have fun tone chasin' and with your recording!!

13. Albake21

Yup it is! I definitely am now realizing how important IRs are to your tone. It's a major difference.