Need a new humbucker set for my UV

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by LiveOVErdrive, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

That would be a Jazz, with an A2 magnet swap. A regular 6 string Jazz with an A2 is an Alnico II Pro.

LiveOVErdrive likes this.
  2. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

Ohhhhh. That's fantastic. That'll take care of the neck, and I'm sure a 59 with an A2 (or just a 59, really) will get me close enough to my desired bridge tone. Awesome and thank you.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  3. knet370

knet370 SS.org Regular

care to share the link to the magnets? how do you do it? i have a spare pegasus lying around and i want to try this.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone6/8 string hoarder

mojotone.com is where I bought mine. easiest thing to do is measure the bobbin/base of the pickup and find a pickup that fits it. Swapping is a joke, it's basically unravel the pickup tape/ unscrew a bobbin from the base plate (depends on how embedded in the wax the magnet is- sometimes you don't even need to remove the bobbin and can push the mag out). Swap in the new mag, screw the base back to the bobbin, tape it back up and use a hair dryer to re melt the wax. The sound will change over a day or so as the screws/slugs get remagnetized. Then the new sound should be present.

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I've got a set of those in my PRS Singlecut, and they ARE nice pickups. Word of caution, though, a LP is going to sound a lot different than a UV, between the scale length, trem vs fixed bridge, body materials, etc, so they won't automatically get youthat exact same tone in your UV.

That said - it may be worth dropping Seymour Duncan a line and asking if they could wind you a seven string version, or, barring that, what they recommend as the closest alternative in a seven.