Need a new humbucker set for my UV

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by LiveOVErdrive, Sep 9, 2017.

1. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

Hi friends. I've got a UV with the stock Blaze pickups and I think I don't like them. I usually prefer something more mid-heavy and these are pretty scooped. I can crank my gain up and up and up and change my eq it still feels like they have no grunt at all. Finally I threw a graphic EQ in front of my amp (Mesa mkv) to bump up the mids and that helped, but it still isn't quite right.

I'm going for something like a petrucci tone, so my obvious options are the cl/lf or illuminator combo. I also really want to try the Duncan black winters or pegasus/sentient combo, but I'm not sure those will give me the focused grind I'm looking for.

For reference, I've always got along pretty well with emgs in the past.

Any suggestions?
    Am I just not dialing in my amp correctly?

2. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I can't comment on your dialing in of the Blaze's but I can comment on a few other things. The Pegasus does have grunt to it, but in no way is it going to give you a grindy tone; the Pegasus is pretty mellow and doesn't have a lot of output, so any grind or aggression needs to be dialed in with EQ, gain, or pedals.

If you're going for a JP tone then I say grab a set of Illuminators.

3. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

Illuminators should be sick. BKP nailbomb/VHII or Warpig set would also work very well. I have a UV777PBK with Warpigs and it sounds mean as hell.

4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Contact Elysian Pickups and have him wind you up something tasty.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  5. LiveOVErdrive

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Looks like the illuminators are probably my best bet. Though now I'm looking at that fluence modern thread and thinking about giving those a try (with all voicing available thru a super switch).

Ill have to listen to some demos.

6. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Illuminators are what you need. They're great pickups

7. LiveOVErdrive

Alright it is settled. Illuminators.

I guess I can keep the center single coil. But maybe I'll grab a new hh pickguard and a Tele switch.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

best/cheapest option imo: pegasus + ceramic magnet from mojotone = poor man's omega (aka pmO). Combine with a liquifire for delicious high gain soloing.
    if you want a grindy midrange then the pmO will deliver, same with an elsyian modern wind or a duncan blackwinter or bkp black dog. All of them have more mid forward voicings though they differ in execution, with the elysian modern being more low-mid heavy, the omega/black winter being more mid/upper mids and the black dog being more mid-mids.
    The biggest differences come in the low/highs, with the elysian having a bit more bass than the omega or black dog, but less than the black winter.
    Black winter and elysian are a bit brighter on the high end, with the black dog close behind and the omega being slightly warmer in the high end.
    The most balanced/versatile overall are the omega and elysian.
    Black winters don't have the clarity on the low strings that the other 2 do but they do have the best chug.
    Black dog is definitely clearer than the black winter but less than the omega or elysian.
    black dog is the snarliest/meanest sounding imo.

takotakumi likes this.
  9. LiveOVErdrive

Really noobish question here:

Are these all going to be good with pinch harmonics? I can knock those out left and right on emgs, but I have a lot of trouble with the blazes. I assume that's mostly an upper mids thing, right?

10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

Everyone of the pickups I listed will easily do pinch harmonics. I find pinch harmonics to be more of a picking technique/pick placement/gain issue. Go check out some zakk wylde instructionals or such and just try and do pinch harmonics for every note. you'll get a good feel for what you need to adjust. For me I find having my thumb slightly hitting the string after the pick/digging in at an angle with the pick makes it a lot easier to do.

11. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

Blaze custom has the mids you so crave.

12. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

^yep. It's not really fair for them to share a name IMO. The Blaze Custom bridge is pretty mid focused and chunky, unlike the regular Blaze, which is slightly scooped and soft by comparison.

For the neck, I have always been a fan of the Air Norton or Liquifire depending on the application.

Unfortunately, I haven't tried the Illuminators to compare.

PBGas likes this.
  13. LiveOVErdrive

Thanks guys! Lots of stuff to look up!

Re: pinch harmonics. It probably is just a technique thing at this point. I used to be really good at them. I'll just have to practice.

I did actually manage to dial in a good sound with my stock blazes last night, but I still have GAS for an upgrade :D

14. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Devil's advocate - I'd stick with at least the Blaze bridge even if you ultimately swap the neck. It's not actually all THAT scooped - it's got a lot of lower mids, and just has a bit less upper midrange, for one.

However, the Illuminators are the most recent version of Petrucci's signature pickups, and are a refinement on the Liquifire/Crunch Lab set before that. Before that, Petrucci used an Air Norton neck and Steve's Special bridge. I've heard a couple variants on the basic story and whether this was something that Petrucci requested Larry DiMarzio do or if Larry wound it and then had Petrucci give it a shot, but they all agree on one basic observation; that the Steve's Special was basically wound to be a 6-string Blaze bridge.

So, while it's been refined for a couple iterations now, Petrucci's signature sound (and most of the recordings people think of him in conjunction with) either WAS recorded with a Blaze, for his "Awake" era seven string playing, or was recorded with a six string pickup based on that seven string design.

For the neck position, an Air Norton, Liquifire, or Illuminator will all get you into roughly the same ballpark. Myself, I REALLY like the Blaze bridge, but never really gelled with the neck.

15. LiveOVErdrive

Well now that's interesting. Awake is one of my favorite DT albums, though I'm more in love with the drum tone in that album than I am the guitar tone. I suppose he must have been playing a UV at that point. There wasn't much else available for 7s in 93.

I've been tweaking my guitar's setup and have been getting better results as I improve my action. I'm thinking the blaze is more susceptible to setup variation than others. Either that or I'm just more particular about tone than I was a few years back.

I did manage to dial in a very tasty lead and rhythm tone on the mkiic+ channel of my mkv. I had been favoring the mkiv mode previously. I boosted the mids in the channel pre-eq, and scooped them with the usual V in the end (though I use more of the second-from-the-edge bands than the traditional Metallica V). Sounds pretty good. A little djenty, but I bleed in enough bass to get a thick lead tone too.

I haven't really had any complaints about the blaze neck. Sounds nice enough to me for saturated solos. I guess I'm just more particular about my rhythm tone than my lead tone.

16. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

The Blaze Bridge's strength lies in its versatility, not necessarily palm muting. But as long as you use an overdrive pedal (SD-1 works great), and keep it reasonably away from the strings, it's good at that, too.

17. LiveOVErdrive

Thanks! SD1 actually happens to be the only overdrive I own so I'll give that a try.

I've probably had the blazes too close to the strings too. I'll play around with backing it off.

18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

just go 57/66 set from EMG.

Dynamic, natural, plenty of mids, not as sterile as an 81 etc plus look badass.

19. LiveOVErdrive

Also tempting. I always loved an 81 or 85 in the bridge for that Zakk Wylde CHUG CHUG CHUG SQUEEEAAAAALLLLLLL stuff.

20. LiveOVErdrive

So I just plugged in my lp with Alnico iis in it and found the dream tone I've been missing in all my modern voiced guitars. (Yes, in playing metal on vintage buckers)

What is the closest 7 string pickup set to the Duncan Alnico 2 Pros? A soft mid hump and smooth highs. 59s with a mag swap?