Need a little advice

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Tomservo, Mar 2, 2018.

Having a 8 string as the only guitar in your arsenal

1. Good Idea

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bad Idea

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. Meh

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. Tomservo

Tomservo SS.org Regular

So I've been playing off and on for about 18 years, I feel pretty confident in my learning ability and looking to bring my collection down to just one guitar. I've become interested in ERG's and really interested in multiscale 8 strings. The issue is that I have no way of playing any as I live in a rural area and when I get the chance to go Guitar Center in Little Rock they have a limited selection. I would have the chance to play a 7 string and see if I like that (I checked their online inventory) but no luck on 8 strings. Along with that, like I said it would be my only guitar, would this be unwise to only have an 8 string and on top of that buy one without ever having the chance to try out any kind of 8 string. I am a little more comfortable with the idea of the 7 since I can at least try one out, not the one I want but at least see what they are like. I'm not too worried about neck width as I played a classical guitar for a while and got used to a wide neck.

2. NickS

NickS Carvinite

I would instantly say no way to just one guitar, but I don't know your situation. I guess, if you absolutely have to have only one, an 8 wouldn't be bad. But then again, I never sell anything (I think I have 14 guitars/basses currently:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:).

3. Tomservo

Tomservo SS.org Regular

They do seem to multiply without warning

4. Lasik124

Lasik124 SS.org Regular

Its all opinion really.

8 strings seem to tire out and hurt my wrist due to the size of the neck, so a 6 is a most for me. But hey if you want an 8, and end up not liking it, you can always return it with in a limited time frame typically :)

5. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    That's not unheard of when someone is able to winnow down an existing collection of known guitars, based on their strengths, weaknesses and versatilities.

But then you threw in the next part.
    My question is, why do you have to get rid of every other guitar before getting an 8-string?

The cheapest 8-string on at rondomusic is $190, plus $50 shipping. Used 8-strings pop up cheap all the time nowadays, especially compared to when we early adopters all got excited about group buys.

Why not invest a little more at the front end to see if it's a direction you want to go, instead of going whole hog without being sure? Consider the price differential, if you take a hit when/if you decide 8-string isn't for you and can be sold on, as an insurance cost for not having to rebuild your original collection.

Keep in mind that I also have routine advised members who have never played even a stock ERG to not make lots of plans for, and investing a lot of money in, going the custom route until they actually try an ERG. I also advise members against planning on replacing the pickups on a guitar they haven't played yet until they actually try it out.

So, what are your arguments against getting an 8-string before jettisoning everything else?

----

Incidentally, I voted "bad idea" in the poll for "having an 8-string as one's only guitar," but only because you're really asking, "getting rid of every guitar in order to get an 8-string, despite having never tried an 8-string. I've gone through periods at this point where I only had and used only one particular 8-string for everything, and it was fine.

6. Tomservo

Tomservo SS.org Regular

Well what happened was I had a few guitars and I decided to get down to one guitar to save room in the house because it’s not very big. I began getting interested in them because of bands like Animals as Leaders, Tesseract, and the like. I was less interested in the chugging sounds and more of the possibilities the extended range allow. As I read everyone’s comments it became apparent that this may not be the best route for right now. I have a chance to try a seven string so if I do go the ERG route that would be my best bet since I’ll have a better idea of what I’m getting into.

7. billinder33

billinder33 SS.org Regular

You can get cheap used multi's, 7's', 8's on Reverb. If you buy correctly, you can sell back with minimal loss of $. Or you can sell locally if these types of guitars are rare in your area. I'd take that route long before throwing caution to the wind on getting down to one guitar that's of a type you've never played.

Personally, I have too many guitars and would like to be rid of some. I have about 14 guitars, and would love to get down to 2 7-string, 2 hollow bodies, 1 bass, and maybe a Strat copy for some quack. I'm struggling to part with some of my favorites though, knowing I probably won't get for them what I feel they are worth.

8. Jujex

Jujex SS.org Regular

Well can you really call it an arsenal if it's only one weapon!? ;)

9. Tomservo

Tomservo SS.org Regular

That's a really good idea, I'll have to give that one some thought, thanks for advice
    Haha fair point.

10. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

If your house has room for one guitar and a case, it probably has room for 3 guitars and their cases. Not being able to afford any guitars and *still* buying one is a totally different matter.

11. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

From a personal experience between 6 string and 7 strings, while I can play all 6 string songs on the 7 strings and ideally only have 7 strings (or 8 strings in your case), it's just not the same. I mean you can get used to the 7 or 8 string and not bother you while playing but the sound and feel is different enough to remind you. But every player is different and if I only had one 7 string I would make it work.

12. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I did for a time keep only an 8 string guitar. It was a 27" scale, and honestly that kinda ruined playing anything bluesy or stonery for me. Like, if the only thing in my repertoire or practice schedule was modern metal, it would totally work just fine. But the extended scale kinda fudges up any warmness you might want to hear in your tone. And I really hate bending on baritone scale guitars.

However, I've never played a multi-scale 8 string guitar. In theory, all these problems I have with 8 string guitars, which I do believe need the extended scale for the lower strings, ought to be solved by going multi-scale. I just personally have no experience with it.