Need a cheap setup for demoing

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by dan the man, Dec 18, 2018.

1. dan the man

dan the man SS.org Regular

Hi guys, just need a quick suggestion from you. I need to pick up a computer and interface to demo my guitar tracks. I used to use Apple and Logic but my shit got stolen and I don't want to shell out over a grand to get a new setup going. So, my question to you guys is: What should I get?
    I'd like to keep things in the $500-800 range all said and done. I'm so out of the loop, I don't even know what programs I should use to record and edit. Any sort of cheap and user friendly setup would be great. Thanks guys!

2. odibrom

odibrom .

For audio interface, look at Focusrite and Presonus. Their entry level audio USB interfaces are pretty nice and cheap.
    For computer, I'd look at ASUS laptops
    For recording software, I'd go with REAPER or CAKEWALK (free I think?)
    Then for guitar plugins and IRs... there are loads of them to choose from, some free others not so much...

dan the man likes this.
  3. dan the man

Awesome! I remember using Cakewalk many moons ago... must be over 10 years. I will look into these brands. Many thanks, good sir!

odibrom likes this.
  4. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Audio interface: Focusrite 2i4 or Audient iD4 140-160$
    DAW: Reaper, 60$
    Used desktop computer or laptop with Intel i5 processor about 400-500$
    Free plugins from TSE Audio, Mercuriall, Ignite Amps and Lepou. If not free, maybe Mercuriall, Kazrog, TSE or Neural DSP.

We should really have a sticky thread with a guide for cookie cutter budget home studio setups that get you into it :)

5. dan the man

Fantastic! Thanks for the plugin info!

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Only thing I'd change here is if you have an amp you like, then a SM57, a mic stand, and a mic cable. Bit of a learning curve at first, but worth it in the long run.

If not, the LePou stuff is surprisingly decent, when paired with a decent IR. Don't ask me for IR recommendations, I've only fucked around with VST amp sims a little bit and I don't remember what I was using - it really wasn't half bad, but didn't sound as much like "me" as my Roadster does.

7. dan the man

Drew, I would definitely be doing the mic setup if the tracks were final recordings, but this is going to be just for demo-ing in preparation for the studio. So, simple IRs would absolutely work. For a while there I was just using the van halen plugin that came with garageband and didn't even tweak any knobs lol - nice and easy and sounded great

8. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

Also worth adding to the free shit list:

Klanghelm plugins, BlueCat Audio Plugins

binz and dan the man like this.
  9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Their parametric EQ is very good, and I LOVE one of their chorus presets - I forget if it's Clean Chorus II or Clean Chorus III, but the one that sounds lush and not out of tune. :lol:

binz, dan the man and odibrom like this.