Need a bit of advice on Ibanez bridges

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Kylefromhell, May 9, 2018.

1. Kylefromhell

Kylefromhell SS.org Regular

Right, so I’ve got this guitar, an RG7321, and for the most part I love it, except the pickups which are getting binned and replaced as soon as it’s convenient, but while playing it I’m struggling to get along with the bridge, I was expecting it to have the basic flat hardtail style but, alas, it has this big Gibraltar thing
    148534B7-B0B8-4B25-95F1-DF47C0FDDD2D.jpeg B4577B88-5862-42F5-8753-F7FB78BE9910.jpeg
    Those corners are something, to be honest which are pissing me off no end, if I palm mute near by them, they dig into my hand, if I palm mute lightly, it loses its oomph, if I move further up the strings, it deadens the note so I can’t seem to win, so I’ve concluded that I’ll have to replace the bridge to really get the most out of this thing.
    Now, my favourite bridge I’ve ever played was on a 6 string RG premium, it had the standard Tight End, that was the most comfortable bridge I’ve used, it appears that no 7 string variation of that bridge exists, but, the Tight End R-7 does exist, and I can get a used one somewhat cheap, so with that I have a few of questions.
    1. Will it fit the 7321? Will it need any kind of excessive drilling or routing to fit?
    2. How different is in terms of feel to the standard Tight End?
    3. Can this feasibly be done without shelling out a shitload of money, has it been done by anyone here? If so what’s it like in real life? Is it worth it or am I better off just buying some kind of Hipshot/Gotoh/Wilkinson replacement?

If anyone has any other suggestions I’m open to hearing you out, chances are you’ll be teaching me something

2. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Gibraltar Standard II doesn't have sharp corners and fits straight into same screw holes. Tight-end-r doesn't fit straight away, because it has different amount of screws and placing of them isn't right. It would need some drilling at least. What other factors comes to that option, the bridge itself is very flat and feels like guitar doesn't have bridge at all. Some people are always worried about cosmo black hardware finish wearing off in long run, which is true in some cases. Or you could just get the Hipshot replacement bridge.

Kylefromhell likes this.
  3. Kylefromhell

Thanks for the advice bud, I wouldn’t mind a bit of extra drilling and such, I just wouldn’t want it to be a total bollockache to do and end up ruining the guitar, if it’s anyth like that then it just won’t be worth it to be, in which case I’d just get the hipshot, which I’ve heard good things about, I’ve just been lusting after a tight end bridge for a minute

4. silverabyss

silverabyss

I'd do the Hipshot Gib replacement or the Gib II

lewis and J_Mac like this.
  5. Down-Nola

Down-Nola SS.org Regular

Are both of these a direct replacement for the Gibraltar Standard? I contacted a few vendors for the Hipshot but since the 7321 doesn’t have the I or II they couldn’t give me a definite answer.

6. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

7. Down-Nola

Down-Nola SS.org Regular

8. gienek

gienek SS.org Regular

If you going to change it anyway maybe try brush sharo edges and do repaint it on your own?

9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Gibraltar hipshot bridge every damn time. It ended up being one of the best hardtail bridges ever.
    Smooth, serious quality, looks stunning.
    Hands down a massive improvement over the stock Gibraltar (which i also didnt like)

10. kylendm

kylendm Electrical Mercenary

Down-Nola and aesthyrian like this.
  11. Down-Nola

Down-Nola SS.org Regular

Went ahead and ordered one. Thanks for the comparison pics, was exactly what I was looking for. Didn’t mean to highjack the thread OP.

aesthyrian and Kylefromhell like this.
  12. Kylefromhell

No danger bud, we both had pretty much the same issue, no point in making an entirely new post for the same thing :)

aesthyrian and Down-Nola like this.
  13. Down-Nola

Down-Nola SS.org Regular

Have you decided on what bridge and pickups your going with? I’m thinking an SD SH-5 and I’m undecided on a neck pickup. I don’t have enough posts for a WTB thread yet or I’d post one up and see what people have FS.

14. Kylefromhell

I’ve narrowed it down to either the SD Pegasus/Sentient, BKP Aftermaths or Lundgren Black Heavens (which I found by accident and completely fell in love with the sound of)
    Failing that if money ends up being an issue I’m considering Dimsrzio Blaze’s which can be had pretty cheap second hand