Neck profile for first 7 string

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by EuropeanBob, Feb 19, 2018.

1. EuropeanBob

EuropeanBob SS.org Regular

Hi all,

First post here. I am looking to buy my first 7 string and hence posting on this forum.

I’ve found it particularly difficult to find good info on neck profiles (in particular fretboard width) online so I am hoping the combined experience here can help focus my search.
    What I am looking for is the following:
    - Not necessarily super slim, but definitely not a baseball bat
    - Fretboard width on the narrower side of a shredder guitar

The second point is very important to me as I have small hands. I have a Jackson Sl2 from the custom shop that has thick sides to the neck which makes it feel super broad and at times I wish it was a little less wide across the fretboard (profile in terms of neck thickness is perfect though). I recently got a strandberg 6 string boden metal (and got into playing prog metal which has made me want to get a 7 really bad…) and despite the neck being on the thicker side, the fretboard is narrow which I find makes it very playable. Now, I also have an early 90’s Gibson which’s neck is very round with a super narrow fretboard and the resulting spacing between strings is that small that is makes it more difficult to play fast legato and stuff, so don’t want something too small.

Question is, what 7 strings brands/ models would you recommend based on the above?
    Strandberg is an obvious (and in fact if anyone wants to swap a 7 string strandberg for my 6 please shout), and I’ve heard the EBMM JP13 could also fit.
    Also, what brands/ models should I avoid ? (ie which ones have a super wide fretboard)

In terms of specs I’d be looking for a fixed bridge, ideally passive pickups but open to active, I’m willing to spend a bit of money once I sell the strandberg 6, and I like fanned frets.

I look forward to any suggestion.

Cheers

2. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

For someone who wants a super thin neck with very small shoulders, I can't recommend a Schecter KM7 enough. It's by far the nicest feeling 7 string neck I've ever played and I haven't found anything close to it. It's very easy to get used to because of the neck profile. If you aren't too keen on the KM7 I'd recommend any Schecter with the "Ultra Thin C" neck profile which is what the KM7 has. If you like multiscales, I's definitely recommend checking out the new Schecter C-7 Multiscale SLS Elite. That thing looks killer and with the ultra thin c neck profile.

EuropeanBob and theicon2125 like this.
  3. theicon2125

theicon2125 SS.org Regular

Out of all the 7s I've played the KM7 neck profile is by far my favorite. LTD Extra Thin U is good as well as Ibanez.

EuropeanBob likes this.
  4. Albake21

What are the shoulders like on the Extra Thin U from LTD? I tried a normal LTD 7 and it was like playing a baseball bat. By far the most uncomfortable neck I've ever played.

EuropeanBob likes this.
  5. theicon2125

theicon2125 SS.org Regular

The shoulders are still there but the whole neck is thinner. I played it on a Head LTD last year. I'm fine with the regular Thin U (better than the OG Loomis NT I had with the Louisville Slugger neck) but the Extra Thin is definitely better.

EuropeanBob and Albake21 like this.
  6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Ernie Ball if you have the budget. Schecter if you don’t.

EuropeanBob likes this.
  7. EuropeanBob

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I'll check schecter out. Don't like the way they look but they do get a lot of good reviews and are cheap(er).

@Mathemagician - i'd never really looked into the Ernie Balls, and it looks like there is a lot of models. Should i assume they all have similar necks, or will a Majesty be very different from say a JP13 ? Any models i should focus on?

Please keep the advice coming. I'm based in the UK so European brands usually come out as best value for money.

Mathemagician likes this.
  8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

If you can check out Mayones or Skervessen in the EU I would. Just because their pricing may be favorable if yours buying new versus a new Schecter.

Now with EBMM (Ernie Ball music man) the JP6 and JP7 are the exact same models except with a 7th string. The reason they are so popular is that the neck on the sevens almost feel like a 6. It isn’t huge at all. But they aren’t paper thin ibanez necks.

Your grain of salt from me: I don’t like ibanez style wide flat necks, I prefer rounded thin-C shapes due to small shoulders at the end of the fretboard.

As for the various models, many have been discontinued after this year. And the individual specs change. The JP13 if I remember correctly has a 20 inch radius fretboard so it’s very flat. The back of the neck is similar to other JP’s IMO. But that flat radius is the biggest thing to note. Also be sure to look up the wood specs as JP6/7 are basswood, but the others changed from year to year.

EuropeanBob likes this.
  9. EuropeanBob

I know what you mean about Ibanez necks. What I really like about th strandberg neck is the fact it’s thick in the middle but there are virtually no shoulders given the kinda triangular shape. So anything in that vein where th fretboard is not as wide as a football field floats my boat.

Thanks for the info on the JPs, I try and get my hands on one to try. They seem pretty rare in London though.

I’v tried the Mayones duvelle, and didn’t fall in love, was not bad though. Reaaly really want to get my hands on a multi scale Skervesen shoggie!

10. Jujex

Jujex SS.org Regular

Your right to look away from Ibanez as they are too wide. I had a JP BFR 7 before my Kiesel, I bought it, certain that it would be the perfect 7 but it was not so I sold it. Getting a used one is too risky and new they are too expensive in Europe.
    I have had other 7s as well but right now I've got a Kiesel Aries that I like very much. Only thing I might change is getting a regular neck instead of the thinner profile. But if you're in Europe they are more costly so...
    I was gonna say Mayones specially since you're in Europe since IMO they make the best guitars(I was at NAMM and they simply had the best guitars at the show as far as playability goes). But you're not too into it.

If you like the Strandberg shape you are in a safe zone if it comes to trading for a 7. I don't like their necks personally, it hurts my hand but it's your choice not mine!

I played the new KM7 trans natural and it was a good guitar. So one of those two would be best I guess.

EuropeanBob likes this.
  11. Albake21

You would actually prefer the normal to thinner neck? Lol I'm the opposite, I really wish I had the thinner neck profile. So much that I tried to get Kiesel to make me another neck with it, but they wouldn't do it.

12. Jujex

Jujex SS.org Regular

You know what, I'm not certain. I've never compared them next to each other to be certain .If I'm playing chords for too long it hurts my wrist a bit on the lower register. But for leads is soooo nice! I have a similar issue on my J custom 6. But since it's a 6 it's a lesser pain and it only bothers me if I'm doing full barre chords for long. You see, I grew up with Jacksons mostly so I'm used to the thicker neck through profile and going back and forth between these can cause some minor issues from time to time!

Did you get a non returnable build? or you decided after the trial period that you might want the thinner profile. I'm not sure what their policy is regarding a Kiesel owner(cause they don't just sell a neck seperate) wanting a new neck. I think he said something about it in one the videos. Not sure.

13. Albake21

I decided about it too late after the trial period. I also tried a 7 string Kiesel with normal neck and it was the exact same experience. Totally playable and still an enjoyable neck, but I know that if it was just slightly thinner, I would enjoy it much more. Although the difference with the 6 and 7 was, the 6 I'll still happily keep, but the 7 I absolutely had to get one with the thinner neck profile instead.

14. Jujex

Jujex SS.org Regular

So they said no, even if you were willing to pay for the neck?

15. jwoods986

jwoods986 SS.org Regular

Going to jump in here, since I'm in the same boat as the OP - small hands and looking for a 7-string. It's hard to find a lot of the models I'm interested in at a store, but going by the specs, most seem around 48mm at the nut. I have played a Sterling JP70, and while I generally enjoyed it, it seemed like a wide fretboard and my hands were hurting afterwards. Looked up the specs on their site and it's almost 50mm/2" at the nut! That explains my pain -lol. If the Sweetwater specs are correct, the Jackson HT7 Pro seems to have the smallest fingerboard, 45mm at the nut, but I'm not sure about the thickness of the neck and they are 26.5" scale, so I wonder if that offsets the comfort of the smaller width?

EuropeanBob likes this.
  16. Albake21

The HT7 does have the smallest neck width I know of, but sadly the neck has pretty big shoulders and just average thickness. Not the thinnest, but not like a baseball bat. What really bothers me with them are the big shoulders. It's a shame since I love the look of them.

EuropeanBob likes this.
  17. EuropeanBob

@jwoods986 - I would love to try one of those HT7, I really love USA Jackson and i think it looks great - will report if I can get my hands on one.

Thanks for the advice on Aries guys, on issue is I can’t try one here. I’ve seen a couple headless on reverb which look nice and go for decent prices.

Has anyone tried the Suhe modern 7 strings? I remember playing a modern 6 and the neck was definitely not wide like Ibanez and co. Also how do they sound for more moderm prog stuff?

Cheers

18. RND

RND SS.org Regular

Not necessarily super slim necked 7's brings a few brands to mind. Schecter, Ernie Ball, and Carvins. You should be able to find the first 2 in stores, but getting a feel for the neck profiles Carvin offers can be tricky.