Neck pickup to go with the Dimarzio AT1

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by MatiasTolkki, Jul 7, 2018.

1. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

So I decided to put dimarzios into my RG550. I love the AT1 but I have no idea what a good neck humbucker would be to go with it. i've been told the air norton is great with it, but does anyone have any other recommendations?

2. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

Although I don't have a different option, I would be remiss to let this pass with out pointing out how badass the AN. Its very badass smooth but badass.

MatiasTolkki likes this.
  3. MatiasTolkki

Double the smooth? Sounds interesting. I can find used Air nortons pretty easily, so i think it's something I can do.

Here's the plan for my 550:

AT1-Blue velvet-Neck pup (AN maybe?)

4. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Hard to go wrong with an Air Norton in an RG :2c:

Are you more concerned about leads or cleans on the neck pickup? The AN will do both, of course, but there may still be a better option if you are mostly looking to do one thing

5. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Atta boy! Every RG needs DiMarzio’s. I seriously love the Air Zone bridge pickup. Alnico V, and screams with high gain amplifiers. Its slightly subdued treble is a perfect balance in a bridge position. It’s ridiculously under appreciated IMO. It’s quite similar to the AT1; but a bit fuller with more balls. If you need to brighten up the RG, maybe the AT1 is the way to go, otherwise the Air Zone slays.

To compliment the Air Zone; I quite like the Gravity Storm neck pickup. It has a single coil like bite to it that I love the sound of. Evo Neck is also a good choice here if you want more bass and treble, but I like the GS best with the AZ.

My other go to RG combo has been Evo II bridge/ Evo Neck or CL/LF but that’s the obvious combo.

6. MatiasTolkki

@DudeManBrother The AT1 is automatic. I love that pup. The problem is coming up with a neck pickup that works well with it. Also, I've had the GS neck before and couldn't stand it.

Also, my RGR580 has a full evo set in it, so thats why I dont wanna go down that route. I do have an evo 2 here though.

7. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Haha I guess I can see people disliking the mid focus of the GS. I love how it stands out in the mix. But all of Vai’s Pickups are quite relentless in that regard I suppose.

8. MatiasTolkki

But i like the evo neck pup, so it's definitely a taste thing with the GS. I like the GS bridge pup, but the neck nope lol