Neck Pickup Help!

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by IrvOnly, May 2, 2015.

1. IrvOnly

IrvOnly SS.org Regular

Hi All,

Im currently debating on which pickup to choose for the neck position of my 7 string Schecter (Mahogany Body, Maple Top, Rosewood fretboard, 25.5 scale). it currently has an Illuminator which I love but I cant make up my mind on a Neck Pup.

The options I'm thinking of are:

- Dimarzio Liquifire
    - Dimarzio Illuminator
    - Duncan Sentient

What would you choose and why?

Would there be a better option for this guitar?

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

2. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

It might help to know what you're looking for in a neck Pickup.

3. mr coffee

mr coffee SS.org Regular

I just installed an Air Norton 7 which was an unplanned acquisition, turns out it sounds great. I had intended to pick up a Liquifire or Illuminator, but the AN sort of fell into my lap. It's warm but not muddy, clear but not overly bright, defined but not crisp, pretty much everything I look for in a neck pickup.

-m

4. IrvOnly

IrvOnly SS.org Regular

Well to try to explain what I want on a Neck Pickup, i´d say I want it to be defined sound with creamy tones, Shreddy type of soloing (Arepggios and sutff) and good cleans.

I plan on only using it for clean passages and soloing, everything else is being covered by the bridge pickup.

5. oracles

oracles Australian in Canda

I'd go for an Air Norton or a Liquifire. The AN will do a better job of the clean tones, but it's not as "wet" sounding as the LF, or quite as suited to the super shreddy lead stuff, which is where the LF excels more. Either will do, but id choose based on which you do more of. Cleans = AN, Leads = LF.

6. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

Thanks for clarifying.

Air norton is a good choice. My personal preference would be a Paf7, as I think it meets all of your criteria and works well in Mahogany.

I've never liked them personally, but some of the members here swear by the Deactivator Neck but that is usually paired with the Liquifier Bridge.

I cannot comment on these as I've never used either.

7. mr coffee

mr coffee SS.org Regular

I'm really liking the cleans on this AN, it'd be hard to go wrong in my opinion.

-m

8. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Beat me to it :lol:

The Air Norton would be a nice match for what you're going for, or maybe the Illuminator if you do a lot of soloing and like the idea of having the neck and bridge pickups be a matching set.

9. IrvOnly

IrvOnly SS.org Regular

thanks for all your help. Im leaning towards Air Norton Or liquifire now.

is there a reason there's no love for duncans?

10. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

I would wager its because your bridge pickup is a Dimarzio that people are only suggesting Dimarzios.

From what I've seen most people keep Dimarzios with Dimarzios and Duncans with Duncans.

11. mr coffee

mr coffee SS.org Regular

I've used a few Duncans in the past, their humbuckers never really did it for me although I have a soft spot for the Classic Stack.

-m

12. Moltar

Moltar SS.org Regular

I've always really liked the Blaze neck. It's quite a bit quieter than the Illuminator though. But I have mine with a an Evolution in the bridge, although I keep the Evolution very low so it somewhat balances out. I like the Blaze neck much more than the D-Activator neck that was in the guitar before.

13. IrvOnly

IrvOnly SS.org Regular

Yeah, I kept reading everywhere that Duncan's aren't the best for 7 string guitars. Can't say I was not tempted to try their new line (Nazgul, Pegasus, Sentient).

So I went with the Illuminator Neck pickup to match the one I already Have. I figured it would be useful to have a mix between Liquifire and Air Norton, I'm guessing I should be able to get close to their sound adjusting the EQ

14. IrvOnly

IrvOnly SS.org Regular

I Though about getting a blaze Neck pickup but I have a friend who has it on a similar guitar and I found it to be extremely dark. I did saw an Art Rodriguez videos on youtube where he uses an evolution bridge and a blaze neck. I Loved the solo he played using the Blaze.

15. gclef

gclef SS.org Regular

I'll be the first then.

Seymour Duncan full shred neck. It is fairly bright and defined when played clean, but gets that Air nortonish sound when overdriven.

It can get really close to the air Norton with the tone knob rolled down. Tone up gives a brighter, more articulate version of it.

Really great pickup for rock and metal

16. Kobalt

Kobalt Insert Brand Name

Duncan '59. :D