Neck Hump?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by MiseryFields, Jun 23, 2012.

1. MiseryFields

MiseryFields Blistered Hands

So, I got a five string bass the other day in the mail (the most intense waiting period I've had since waiting for my seven string guitar). It's a used Rogue LX205B. I did my usual set-up before I got into playing it, checking the neck for bowing, truss rod adjustment, radius and action, electronics, everything that should be done. I noticed immediately that there's a bit of a hump in the neck around the 10th fret. It's not an issue with the truss rod or the frets themselves, I checked those, it's just mildly warped right there.

Does anyone know how I can fix this without having the proper tools, like the radius sanding block or the fret crowning tools? I mean, it's only slight, but to be able to play it without any buzzing, I need to have the action annoyingly high and that really sucks when I'm trying to play songs from bands like Dream Theater, or even my own songs (because I have a tendency to write sadistically hard bass lines).

2. The Uncreator

The Uncreator Control The Sun

A bump on the underside of the fretboard or actually on it?

3. MiseryFields

I can't actually tell. The hump is only noticeable when I'm looking down the neck. I'm thinking that, since it's so slight, I should just be able to level the frets, re-crown them and be good from there.

4. The Uncreator

The Uncreator Control The Sun

If its that slight I would think that would do the trick, interesting to know what caused it though.

5. MiseryFields

Do you know how I can fix this without the proper tools, though? I don't have $50 for a radius sanding block or a fret re-crowning tool. I spent the rest of my money on this bass.

6. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

You might be able to even it out with a small straightedge and some sandpaper. If it's just a small spot that's high and you don't want to fix the fretboard itself, the frets on either side of the high ones will help you maintain the proper radius while leveling. If you don't re-crown the frets your intonation will suffer, but it might be worth the trade off in terms of playability. I'm not sure a used rogue is worth a huge repair investment anyway.

If you google "fret leveling" you might find more useful info. Whatever you end up doing, be careful and go slow! And make sure you adjust the truss rod to where the neck is totally straight before you level anything.

7. MiseryFields

Sweet! So, an eight inch long 2x4 and some thousand grit should be all I need? ;P

Much thanks, man!

8. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

You can get a small straightedge for just a few bucks from Harbor Freight or somewhere similar. Probably more accurate than a 2x4.