NCD - Zilla Super Fatboy Vertical

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Mwoit, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Mwoit

Mwoit SS.org Regular

NCD - Zilla Super Fatboy Vertical.

https://imgur.com/a/ZHlGY2a

Zilla Super Fatboy Vertical
    - Seafoam Green
    - Tilt back casters (like suitcases)
    - 2x12" G12 K100 (8 ohms, 4 ohms in parallel)
    - Slightly taller and bigger housing

I'm not sure how to run the 2 cabs together (the white Zilla has 2x12 V30s running at 8 ohms), and the EVH 5150III has 2 outs with a switchable impedance (4, 8 and 16). I'll figure it out.

This cab sounds bigger and more open, compared to the the V30. That cab
    sounds boxy and fizzy, which I am starting to dislike.

0rimus, nedheftyfunk, The906 and 2 others like this.
  2. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

0rimus and Mwoit like this.
  3. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Nice, looks awesome.

I was tempted to choose some colourful tolex when I got my Zilla cab, but it would have stuck out as the only colourful thing in a sea of black gear. Looks like you’ve already got some color in your rig though, with the Orange and the white 5150iii.

Mwoit likes this.
  4. Mwoit

Mwoit SS.org Regular

Cheers, thanks for that. I did look this up. The head has 2 parallel speaker outputs, and I assume there is a variable switch to chance the load impedance from 4 ohm, 8 ohm and 16 ohm.

[​IMG]

From what I understand, it is safer to go from lower ohm to higher ohm (low amp output to high cab input). With the new cab being 4 ohm, am I out of options?

Not all the gear is mine (it's a whole bunch of bands equipment), but I prefer not black gear over the sea of black. The grill and seafoam look great together.

5. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

You are correct about the ohms.

I'm 99% you're SOL if the cabs don't match, someone correct me If i'm wrong.

By the way,I never told you how sexy that cab is :yum:

Mwoit likes this.
  6. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

So the new Zilla is a 4 ohm cab and the v30 cab is 8 ohms?

If you want to run both together, it will be a mismatch.

You could make a series box that combines both cabs in series (don’t unplug one when the amp is on), this would be 12 ohms load.

Or you could rewire the new cab’s speakers in series, making it a 16 ohm cab, then run one cab into each speaker plug on the back of the amp. This would be a 5.3 ohm load (8 ohm cab and 16 ohm cab in parallel, as the jacks are wired according to the back of the amp).

Maybe contact fender to see how the amp handles mismatches. I know they’re no big deal to most Mesa amps but I don’t know about the 5150iii’s.

Mwoit likes this.
  7. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Did you get the cab brand new from them? Maybe send them an email letting them know you made a mistake on speaker resistance, and return the 8 ohm speakers for some 16 ohm speakers, that you can wire in parallel to acheieve an 8 ohm load and cab match.

8. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

I was, at one time, chasing down a cab/impedance challenge and ran across these, just FYI... I didn't wind up needing it though as I bought another cab anyway.

https://www.tedweber.com/gadgets/z-matcher

Super sweet cab btw, I have an Orange with the G12K-100s and have no regrets.

Mwoit likes this.
  9. Mwoit

Mwoit SS.org Regular

That's correct. Thanks for the information. I thought about this, and if I asked to have to rewired in series, it would have been possible. Silly me!

This cab is brand new, and they did ask me what I wanted. I didn't really think about running both cabs at once, but now that it's here... my bad.

Thanks for the link. I think adding another box to enable me to run both cabs is something I can't be bothered with (I'm never going to run both cabs simultaneously for shows). I thought it would be interesting to try but seems like it's a pain in the ass to get it going!

10. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

You already said you don’t like the v30’s. Swap those for some new speakers that have the correct impedance.