NCD & NAD!!!! New Zilla 2x12 Fatboy Model + Peavey 6505 MH

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by JKM777, Sep 10, 2016.

1. JKM777

JKM777 SS.org Regular

Hi Guys,

New amp and cab day!

So the other day I ordered a Peavey 6505mh to put together a jam rig. I have been running Axe Fx for the last few years and wanted to get an amp again to encourage me to just plug in and play!!! One thing lead to another and I decided to order a 2x12 fatboy from Zilla to pair it with!!!

Pics First:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://65.media.tumblr.com/d7e3873990ecb91b0bde6bcd4e2ca5a3/tumblr_oda6hzJuzs1vfcbedo2_1280.jpg

Specs:

Zilla Custom Fatboy 2x12 (New model from the EUGG run)

This is a new model from Zilla. The cab is slightly larger than a standard fatboy with thicker birch ply. The cab is closed back, with stereo back plate 8&16 ohm.

Bright Orange Tolex
    Black Baffle (braced)
    Black piping
    Black Hardware
    Loaded with Celestion Vintage30 & Creamback H

This Cab sounds absolutely massive! Its exactly what i have been looking for, nice defined low end and cutting mid range, it blows my old Marshall 1936 2x12 out the water!!! The finish is immaculate and the build quality is amazing, it looks really striking but retains a bit of class (IMO).

I want to give a shout out paul from Zilla. I have been after one of these fatboys for about four years, i had recently discussed it with Paul and was thinking about pulling the trigger. Then the EUGG run appeared on my FB feed. They offered this new model with 30% off, I messaged paul to ask if i could be part of the run and placed my order. Paul turned my order around in less than one week, from order to delivery. I personally think this is amazing considering its a new model & id chosen some of the non-standard options. Customer service from Zilla was top notch and if your thinking of ordering from them...Do it!!! you will not be disappointing!!!

Peavey 6505MH

Spec:

2x EL84 power tubes and 3x 12AX7/ECC83 preamp tubes
    Two footswitchable channels with three-band EQ
    Footswitchable crunch on rhythm channel, footswitchable reverb, footswitchable buffered effects loop
    TSI circuit (tube status indicator)
    Impedance switch for 16 or 8-ohm cabinets
    MSDI output with XLR and ground lift switch
    USB output
    Speaker defeat switch
    Headphone output
    Attenuator switch for 20 Watts, 5 Watts or 1 Watt output power

I pulled the trigger on this impulsively, and i did not know what to expect, so far im blown away by it,it retains that classic 6505 sound nice and brutal!

The amp on it 1w setting is still very loud, i am sure the 20w setting would hold up to gig levels of volume easily!! The clean channel breaks up a little early (as expected with a smaller head) but this isnt to much of an issue as this amp is really all about the lead channel. The built in reverb is a nice touch.

At the moment I am running my VFE Focus to tighten up and drive my Axe FX (No power amp or cab sim) which is running a 5150 model, this runs out to the fx loop of the peavey and slaves the power amp into the Zilla.

So far im really enjoying the tones im getting, I feel that I have the control to really sculpt my rhythm sound easily (without having to delve into the axe fx constantly) as I can adjust the Focus to Filter/tighten up my sound pre- amplification, but i can also adjust the Peavey presence and resonance to make sure the cab is reacting they way I want it to after the procesing, this is especially useful when changing between 6 & 7 strings and differant tunings. The Axe Fx runs all my cleans so i can maintain the crystal clear cleans and soundscapes which is great. The most annoying think about the axe fx is not being able to run my midi controller and Axe edit at the same time!!!

I am loving the amount of versatility I now have and the Zilla seems to take the Axe fx + Peavey system really well!

Would recommend both products so far!!!!

Attached Files:

2. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

congrats!
    a 6505 on top of a cabinet with orange tolex always does it for me.:bowdown:

3. beavis2306

beavis2306 Lusts for gear

That cab looks rad. Would love to hear some clips. I'm interested in speaker mixing at the mo sonthat would be right up my alley.

4. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Blackest Of The Blackest

Looks killer! Congrats man!

5. Stijnson

Stijnson SS.org Regular

Nice looking setup dude! Kind of funny you bought the 6505 and then use it as a power amp for the 5150 model in the axe! Is that purely out of versatility reasons or does the axe just sound better?

6. JKM777

JKM777 SS.org Regular

I literally wanted a jam rig! The Peavey provides this for me so i can get down to playing really quickly rather that getting everything else set up.

However when I want to use my Axe Fx, I can get all the tones i want to cover out of the cab/power amp, rather than monitors which is great. It also allows me to midi switch everything (I hate pedal dancing) so using the axe as a pre eliminates that problem.

If i go for jam sessions/live performances, I now have loads of options, direct to PA, Axe fx to cab, axe to cab & PA, just the Peavey. I am about to go over to axe 8 as I want to be able to carry my whole rig on my person if i need to, without sacrificing tone and reduce the size of my rig further.

Currently my axe fx is in a rack, with power conditioner and interface (heavy), i have a seperate midi controller, peavey, cab and guitars. Ill be able to loose a fair few extra bits of kit after the switch, so yh its all about versatility/portability for me!