NBD! Steinberger Spirit XZ-25! Fretless and MOD suggestions?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Goatchrist, May 8, 2012.

1. Goatchrist

Goatchrist Jebus

Hey folks!

So I sold my Ibby SR305 and bought this Steinberger. I like it way better than the SR305, the neck is wider and thicker but it feels good. It sounds good. :) I didn't expect the pickups to be "so good"(for stock pickups). It's in mint condition, there's just one little scratch by the pots.

I will be modifying this bass. I will buy a Moses Graphite fretless neck. I can't wait! :scream:
    I thought about refinishing it, it looks so unspectacular/boring in black. Give me some suggestions. I thought about white or natural.

Here some pics:
    [​IMG]

Scratch:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Family picture! Saving up for the BKPs for the other spirit and the Moses neck.
    [​IMG]

The burst on my GM-4s is very hard to capture.
    [​IMG]

Does anyone have experience with changing to fretless instruments? Is it a big help if I let the Moses guy do fretline markers on the fretboard? Is it too difficult without? I'd love the look of a blank fretboard.
    If you have ideas for a inlay, let me know! Still haven't decided anything!

2. Goatchrist

Goatchrist Jebus

I will be modifying this bass. I will buy a Moses Graphite fretless neck. I can't wait!
    I thought about refinishing it, it looks so unspectacular/boring in black. Give me some suggestions. I thought about white or natural.
    Does anyone have experience with changing to fretless instruments? Is it a big help if I let the Moses guy do fretline markers on the fretboard? Is it too difficult without? I'd love the look of a blank fretboard.
    If you have ideas for a inlay, let me know! Still haven't decided anything!

Opinions anyone?

3. GhostsofAcid

GhostsofAcid SuiƧmez fanboy

That bass would look great in white IMO. That's a pretty cool collection of headless instruments you have. Can't really help with your question, I have no experience with fretless instruments and find the idea daunting :lol:

4. bob123

bob123 Banned

I think putting a moses neck would be a bit over kill, but if the cost's right to you, then do it :p.

Im gassing pretty hard for a fret less bass, but if you' havent been playing one for a while, its gonna hurt if you dont have the fret markers.

I would get a soft gray inlay for the fret markers (simple enough, and wont be super visible). But as for a traditional inlay, Id say keep it simple.

5. Goatchrist

Goatchrist Jebus

Good idea!
    I don't see why putting a Moses neck would be over kill though. I've got one on my other spirit. Feels and sounds amazing!

White with a black Carbon neck would look stunning!

6. davisjom

davisjom SS.org Regular

im a sucker for flamed maple. maybe you could get a nice veneer on it and stain it a cherry red?
    If not, white is always a great idea!
    as for inlays... not really sure. I would check out Daemoness guitars. They have some sick inlays. you may get an idea or two

7. Goatchrist

Goatchrist Jebus

Nice idea, but I don't think that my abilities are sufficient. White would be much easier and would fit perfect to a neck without any inlays.

I'm currently still in contact with Steve Mosher about the Moses neck, I want to be sure the measures fit.

8. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

You can get a lined fretless Moses Graphite neck, it's a $50 upcharge. If you were willingto pay the extra cash and really wanted to keep the board blank but still have fret-lines you could contact them and see about doing side lines only, I don't know if they would do it though.

As for color, white would look amazing with it.

9. Goatchrist

Goatchrist Jebus

I'm actually in constant contact since I ordered my Moses guitar neck. :D
    He told me fretlines won't have an upcharge. :cool:

But yeah sidelines seems like the best compromise for me, I got to ask him that.

10. Housty00

Housty00 SS.org Regular

You have NO idea how bad I've been gasing for one of these. UGGGHHHH I HATE YOU.

11. MetalBuddah

MetalBuddah 0000 00 0 0 00 000

I played one of those guys at my local GC and totally regret not walking out of the store with it :( Also...I have mad envy for that GM-4 :fawk: