NBD & NCD! ($25 GIO fretless conversion picstory!)

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by guitarister7321, Apr 25, 2012.

1. guitarister7321

guitarister7321 Ibanez

New Bass and new cabinet! I completed the bass the same day I bought the cab so I thought I'd put them together.

I'll start with the bass. I bought this off of my brother about two weeks ago for $25. If I remember correctly, it's a GSR190. It was his first bass and he got it a few years before I even picked up the guitar. For well over a year it was disassembled and sitting in storage.
    [​IMG]

It was in rough shape. The nut had fallen off and the fretboard was lifting off.

I fixed the lifting fretboard with some glue, and re glued the nut. I also wanted a fretless so I removed the frets and sanded the fretboard to smooth it and get all the paint and white out off the fretboard. I then filled in the fret slots.
    [​IMG]

The fretboard now needed to be coated so I picked up some Krazy Glue. Yes. Krazy Glue.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I spread the glue with paper towel, and did 4-5 coats. I used steel wool to get the coat nice and shiny.
    [​IMG]

The body was spray-painted and beat up. I didn't feel like painted one, So I said fuck it and decided to cover the body in duct tape. Also wired it up with one J pickup and 1 vol., 1 tone.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also got new tuners from eBay, the original ones were crappy and one was broken and rusting. Unfortunately the new tuners were too big to fin in the original holes. After a long time of sanding and cutting the hole bigger with a razor, I managed to squeeze one tuner in.
    [​IMG]

That method was WAY to time consuming so I ordered a reamer from Amazon. Now I was able to make the holes big enough in less than 5 minutes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got them all in and strung her up with D'Addario Chromes.:agreed:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

it plays pretty well now. I'm still getting used to fretless, but it sounds pretty good.

Now for the cabinet:

I recently started playing bass in a thrash band and since we'll be playing shows soon, I needed a cab. I only had $200 to spend so I looked at Guitar Center and found this Eden David series D-115 cabinet. It is made in USA and they were only selling it for $170.
    [​IMG]

They had an Eden head to that sounded amazing through it. Hopefully if I sell my 6-string I can pick it up.

Dead Undead, Bigfan, Fiction and 5 others like this.
  2. iron blast

iron blast Northern Winds

nice gear man. Please tell me you will do a proper refinish on this later tho?

3. JStraitiff

JStraitiff Melodic Mamma Jamma

lol @ tape finish. Reminds me of my middle school binder

4. Dionysian

Dionysian More gear than sense

Nice job! Except for that duct tape finish. That is retarded ugly. :D

5. Empryrean

Empryrean Undecided forever

[​IMG]
    please, please do this.

:lol:
    jokes aside, great defret man! I've been planning on defretting my spector for a while now.

6. guitarister7321

guitarister7321 Ibanez

I might, when I have time this summer. The duct tape may look retarded, but it's better than what was underneath. There's a hole drilled through the body and there's a huge chunk of wood taken out of the lower horn :lol:

7. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

I bought my girlfriend that exact color last winter. Weird.

Looks cool man, make some vids! :)