NBD: After constantly telling myself to get one

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Bloody_Inferno, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

...I finally grabbed it. And apparently Ibanez discontinued the model year I've been told. :( So I'm glad I got the SRF505F.

[​IMG]

I'm really appreciating all the guys at the Bass Workshop part of Ibanez. They're more adventurous and have churned out some interesting models. I remember when the 4 string version of this came out, I really wanted a 5 version. Lo and behold, they did. And with it's discontinuation and my upcoming sessions, I'm glad I got it right on time.

Right off the bat it felt great to play (well, after a setup and some flatwounds strung on). The neck is your typical Soundgear affair, thin and comfy, but the body is made thicker to necessitate a chambered body. It was certainly loud for what it was, and the unfinished and natural burst adds to the classy look.

As for it's sound plugged in, it's a bit of a one trick pony, but what a trick. The tone to get a deep bass and mid focused tone like an acoustic upright bass is convincing enough to get away with in any situation. I didn't get a chance to plug into my main amp rig, but I did do some crappy clips with the bass plugged into a Fishman Platinum Pro DI, right into a JBL speaker. I was trying to exploit how authentic I can get with the piezo bridge through the Fishman.

I'll try to post clips with this through a full amp hopefully in a day or so. :)

Ebony, Hollowway, bostjan and 4 others like this.
  2. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

congrats and happy NBD, but why you are talking about like if these were in production from many years ago?, these only came out last year, did they already discontinued? I though ibanez released new colors this year?

quick look show me the 5 string is gone here in Oz :/ oh well at least you got one

3. Bloody_Inferno

I knew the 4 strings were out for a while but held back thinking Ibanez will release a 5 string model. Then they did exactly that in August. Dunno how I sounded like it's been out for years, it may be my excitement and anticipation to get one, but ok.

And yeah, the model was barely a year old and it's now discontinued in AU. Though there are still some in the wild.

4. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

yeh we always get the worse down here :(

so many pretty SRs in the past that we never saw, plus gutiars. Farck even one acoustic I want now its the only one they dont sell here, and cant order online because stupid CITES and even stupider Ibanez for keep using rosewood

5. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

Congrats! That's a great score. It's a shame all the most interesting stuff only stays in stock for a year.

If you want upright tone and haven't yet, grab yourself a some nylon tapewound strings. They are amazing. The black ones offered by Rotosound/D'addario/Labella. Closest thing to an upright you'll hear. I had em on my defretted AGB205

Bloody_Inferno likes this.
  6. RND

RND SS.org Regular

Dang, I didn't realize it was fretless until I saw the video. The piezo pickup only sounds pretty fitting for a fretless. Nice grab!

Bloody_Inferno likes this.
  7. Bloody_Inferno

Cheers guys. :yesway:

And unfortunately I still haven't had the chance to plug this in the main rig yet... :ugh:

8. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

It looks like we still have them in the US. They certainly appear to have some very nice features. Congrats on the score! Looking forward to hearing some clips.

9. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

Random-ass question, but here goes: Have you played a Rob Allen Mouse? Curious if this hits a similar vibe.

10. Bloody_Inferno

Sadly no. Those things are hard to come by and cost an arm and a leg down this side of the hemisphere. I am curious now especially with that scale length.

11. Bloody_Inferno

Well it took me long enough, but I finally did a short crappy clip on the gram with this bass plugged into an amp. Sure it's only a Fender Rumble, but an amp is an amp. :lol:

Plugged in dry was tough to get the bass to sound remotely useable, especially with my harsh right hand, even a 10 band EQ isn't enough to tame the highs and the clicking from my fingers. I suppose I should just play softer... :lol: But since I recently just got the One Control Crimson Bass peamp, I just used that to cut out the high end clank.