NBAD - Vintage Bittersweet Peavey

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by stevexc, Nov 27, 2017.

1. stevexc

stevexc Laura Like Butter

Now that I'm starting to piece this out I figured I might as well post a New Bass Amp Day thread.

Joined a new band and decided I needed a new, gig-worthy amp to replace my Rumble 100. Sold my HD500 to (originally) buy a PF-500 but came across this steal on Kijiji (Craigslist, eh?). Pic first:

[​IMG]

Peavey MkIII 400 head, a Peavey 1810, an unlabelled 1810-style cab, and a 1x15 cab... all for $300 (CAD)!

First, the good. The head sounds great, and is in pretty good shape, which is nice given that it's over 30 years old. No footswitch so I can't take full advantage of the two channels but that's okay. Feature set on the head is pretty decent given the era - great sounding line out, built-in limiter, switchable active EQ, bi-amp option.

Onto the bad. This isn't quite what I paid for, unfortunately. The head was supposed to be a MkIV (although there's not a huge difference between the two from what I've seen), the 1x15" was supposed to be a 1x18", the Peavey cab was supposed to be all stock, and the unlabelled 1810 was supposed to only have a blown 18" speaker (which the 1x18" was a replacement for). The seller, of course, has been ignoring my emails so I'm kinda SOL.

The Peavey 1810 wound up having an aftermarket (albeit decent-sounding) 10" that's just slightly too big for the grille to fit over top of, and the other 1810 has a blown 18" AND a blown 10". My plan is to sell the 1x15" (which'll be tough given the state it's in), then buy a Peavey Scorpion 10" for the Peavey cab and whatever 18" I can find for the other cab, swapping the aftermarket 10" into it as well. That should give me two beefy cabs to use for live shows.

Either way, I'm happy with what I've got (that actually works). It's settled in quite nicely into my gear corner.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Randy and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  2. dax21

dax21 SS.org Regular

Happy NAD. Those Peavey heads are old as hell, Mk3 is from the late 70s iiirc, but they will last forever and are near indestructible. I had a different Mk3, one without the graphic eq that was rated at ~150w, ended up selling it because it wasn't loud enough for bar shows without PA support. Model from your pic should be putting out 300w at 2ohms, those are quite louder.

You can easily find a footswitch schematic, it's not difficult to make/rewire. Neat thing about those heads is that you can not only switch channels but also combine them. So if you are into distortion pedals and stuff, you can rig dirt into one of the channels and run a parallel output into the other and blend them since you can set individual channel volumes.

3. stevexc

stevexc Laura Like Butter

Yeah, judging by some of the dates on the head itself it looks like an early 80s unit, 81 or 82. I've heard some really good things about the build quality on these. Looks like 200w at 4ohms and 310 at 2 which should be loud enough, especially with a pair of 1810 cabs.

As for the footswitch, Peavey did send me a schematic for it but it's a bit over my head what with having no electronics experience. It'd definitely be cool to use some of those features but I'm not upset over it. One day, maybe!

And some awesome news - the head and two 1810s only cost me $200, as I just sold the 115 for a cool $100. Not a bad deal!