NAMM 2014: ENGL Invader II Press Release

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by MAJ Meadows SF, Jan 23, 2014.

1. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

[​IMG]

From ENGL (via Guitar World and Premier Guitar Magazines):
    The ENGL Invader II features an improved channel design with two Clean channels and two Overdrive channels, all switchable between a HI or Low Gain mode plus a Sound switch that changes the character per channel. That’s a total tonal variety of 16 basic sounds.
    As an option, ENGL offers the new ENGL Sound Wizard Module E-16. This module is a tone hunters dream come true. Inserted in the back of the amp, the module offers 12 sound options for all 16 basic sounds to customize and fine tune the desired tones.
    • Channel 1: Bell like Clean to Class A Crunch
    • Channel 2: Warm Clean to British '70s Crunch/ Classic Rock
    • Channel 3: / Rhythm to NU- Rock / Metal Rhythm/Lead
    • Channel 4: Classic '80s Hot Rod Overdrive to ENGL Invader Signature Leads.
    Preamp:
    • 4 channels, 3 stage EQs incl. logarithmic treble curve,
    • Sound Switch for all channels
    • Separate gain & volume controls for each channel
    • HI / LO Gain switch for each channel
    • Noise Gate with Threshold adjust
    • 2 parallel FX loops programmable via MIDI
    • 4 x ECC 83 / 12 AX 7 preamp tubes.
    • Tuner Out activated via Standby switch.
    • Volume Ratio Control to balance volume between HI/LO gain modes.
    Master Section:
    • 100 watts ( 4 EL 34 tubes)
    • Master A / B switch
    • Presence & Depth Punch control for poweramp soundshaping
    • Electronic Tube Protection circuit and Powertube Monitoring System.
    Outputs:
    • Midi IN / THRU, ENGL Z 9 Footswitch
    • 2 x ¼“ jacks for ENGL Z 4 footswitch
    • 2 x FX Send
    • 2 x FX Return
    • 2 x FX Balance
    • Speaker Outs, 2x4, 2x 8, 1x 16 Ohms
    • Midi programmable functions at a glance storable on 128 Midi presets in any combination as needed:
    • Channel switching
    • Master A / B, Sound, FX Loop 1 & 2,Noise Gate, AmpMute
    • Dimensions & Weight 71 x 27 x 29 cm, 21 kg
    Price: TBD
    Availability: February 2014

Consider me interested. I f*cking miss my Invader 150, and there seem to be some very useful features here. It might be a very cool amp, and hopefully not more than what they go for now (though I wouldn't be surprised). Between this, all the Randalls, and that Dual Dark 50/100 from Orange,... so much for downsizing my rig! :lol:

I have an Ironball, which absolutely kills. Right now the Randalls that have mixed 6L6/KT88s is in the lead, but we are in SERIOUS need of a full demo for full tonal range, and also an "Ola" playthrough with old school DM and modern metal riffage. Hopefully something will emerge this weekend, and better pictures too!

2. themike

themike Chug Life

Wait - it covers "Nu-Rock" tones? Sold :lol:

All joking aside I had an Invader 100 and it was killer. Once you figured out how you need to tweak it to get what you wanted, it was awesome.

3. MAJ Meadows SF

Yeah, I don't even know what that is, so it must be revolutionary, right?
    I can't wait for the full blown German language video reviews of this :lol:

The Invader was my dream amp, no doubt about it. But now I want one with KT88s, or a new version of the Savage 120 (their forums say no dice at least for a while :noway:).

4. MrPowers

MrPowers SS.org Regular

I'm really curious as to how much this thing is going to cost. I've been gassing hard for one since I saw the first pictures of it.

5. Krucifixtion

Krucifixtion Duncan Hills

Love my Invader 150. Will there be any significant voicing changes on this model other than the updated features?

6. MAJ Meadows SF

I'm hoping so. It seems like the clean/crunch channels will be different than channels 1&2 on the original. I loved channel 2: big mids, bright but not harsh, and if you scooped it a little, push the depth punch and gain it had a Savage 120 voice. Awesome hard rock an prog tones. Channel 3 I called the dying fetus channel. Ugly and awesome. Channel 4 was entirely too much so I only used it for soloing. It's very, very hot.

So it looks like the new model will have a more crunch oriented channel 2, channel 3 will be the modern metal, and oddly enough channel 4 is aimed at being like a classic 80s lead channel voiced after the old Invader lead tone. Huh.

I gotta hear this in a thorough play through. There's a lot of ability to tinker with each channel, so I'm guessing yes you will get new voicings from this one. I'm hoping for some more grind, depth, and throaty tones (ie. tight but big lows, low mids).

7. Krucifixtion

Yeah the thing I love about my 150 is that without changing any of my channel settings much I could go play a Death Metal show and mostly stay on channel 3 and use 4 sometimes for leads and then turn around and play more alt/rock stuff with channel 2 and still keep the same clean settings and still use channel 4 for higher gain solo stuff.

It would be cool if they tweaked channel 3 a little more. Made it a little less scooped and a touch more raw/less compressed and it would be insanely awesome.

8. Fretless

Fretless Knob Fiddler

So. Awesome.

9. MAJ Meadows SF

I agree. The one drawback to the Invader is the compression. I wish it was more adjustable so you could get that raw, throaty, hair on the balls roar the Savage 120 has. It almost softens the distortion a bit. Obviously, the louder you crank this thing the better it sounds, but I don't think I was ever able to really push the tubes to the maximum just because of how ....ing loud it is as a 150w amp. ENGL always has a sort of cleanliness to their tone, which I like for the fact that the low end on all their amps never gets loose or breaks up. But I do want more roar, more low mids and a touch more upper mids/highs to scream. I really think if they mixed powertubes they could achieve this.

The black front face is f*ckin' awesome.

10. xzyryabx

xzyryabx SS.org Regular

That's not an amp...that's a computer!!!
    count me out...I'll stick to my 2 channel ironball w/ 8 knobs!!

11. MAJ Meadows SF

I agree I love the simplicity and tone of my Ironball as well! It's a serious little ass kicker. The Invader may have a bunch of nobs, options, and 4 channels, but it looks average compared to the Meathead/667. That thing scares me, despite it being pretty awesome.

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Doubt your Ironball will sound anything like or as versatile as the Invader. :fawk:

13. Krucifixtion

I will be re-tubing the entire amp very soon and I was considering doing KT77's, but I am going to ask the tech near me if it would be possible to mix KT77's and EL34's. I'm not sure what the best configuration would be, because you can't match 3 power tubes and another 3 power tubes. So, I wonder if I could run 2 EL34's on the outside and the inner 4 as KT77's or some kind of combination like that.

14. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

Am I buying knobs or an amp? :lol:

15. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr SS.org Regular

Sounds like you want a Fryette Pittbull :lol:

16. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

I'm buying 20 of those.

17. MrPowers

MrPowers SS.org Regular

I'm a fan of simplicity as well, but this head looks like a studio musicians dream. Considering I love Engl's gain tone and loved the clean tone on the original Invader, this head is probably my dream head.

18. Thorerges

Thorerges SS.org Regular

Has anyone actually had a chance to try this? i tried an ironball and become sold on ENGL, i don't even know what I'd do with this.

19. MrPowers

MrPowers SS.org Regular

I played one when I was out in Colorado at Drumcity Guitarland. This thing KILLS. It can almost do any sound you want save for some very specific boutique stuff. And it does all of it better than any other head I've ever had the privilege of trying. If you need versatility, this is it. And I didn't even try it with the sound wizard module installed.

That said, I can get some of the same sounds (Channel's 1 and 4 on the Invader II) out of the Engl I have currently (Victor Smolski). If I ever have the money, I will own one of these.

20. viesczy

viesczy SS.org Regular

With these out now, the original has dropped a few bucks... that is something to consider--the original at the discounted price vs. the version.

Derek