NADx2 peavey VTM120 and long over due Crate XLP Pre!!!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Gmork, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

NEW AMP DAY!!! plus long over due NAD!!! two for the price of one!

1 - Peavey VTM120 head.
    recently found while browsing a little music shop run by an elderly couple during a visit to Ontario. been GASing hard for one and seeing as its somewhat rare to find one i HAD to get it and mail it back home to BC :D
    been jamming at home but only very quietly and it sounds AMAZING! no joke! of course i boost it and have an eq in the loop. its reeeeally good! total "brootz"! very 5150-ish. ridiculously loud just at 1 vol.
    has that very aggressive grinding low mids thing going on. almost a mix of 5150/vh140. (i own both btw)
    without the boost and eq its a decent amp, but with it id say its perfect!
    it has tiny dip switches for popular hotrodded marshall mods that can push it into (when boosted) serious death metal territory. loving it. and this is essentially the lowest volume (without it sounding super thin and completely void of lowend....you know, right after that when it starts sounding normal).
    so i CANNOT WAIT to get it to band practice (which was cancelled today :mad: ) apparently these are very mod friendly. i want to add a resonance knob so i can get rid of the eq. my only real complaint is that its only 1 channel. obviously id like to add another. in the end if im being SUPER realistic 8.5/10. and can only get better!

2 - Crate XLP 1u SS preamp (crate gx-130 (close clone to ampeg vh140) in preamp form)
    bought this a while ago here on SSO from jorgercrosa ! (THANKS AGAIN)
    so obviously its stupid brutal. very close to the ampeg vh140 but not exact. tons of low end. and agressive low mids. not quite as grindy/mean and in your face as the ampeg. but a serious beast none the less for sure!
    as usual for me i do boost it for tightness.
    its naturally has almost like a neck pickup kind of fat lowend to it. a little round and squishy. this is not a bad thing. boosting this sound has wicked results, fat but very tight and articulate even with gain on full. id say its a bit on the dark side though so an EQ in the loop helps bring it out front with some sizzle (as james brown would say :D )
    ive played it through the power section of my vh140/jsx (which i sold) as well as my mag44 and they all sound really good. i have gigged with the XLP/mag44 numerous times since ive had it and have loved every second of it.

thanks for reading. my next venture is finding a peavey rockmaster pre and peavey classic 50/50 power amp (for its resonance/presence controls!)
    so hopefully ill be back here talking about those sooner or later. :shred:

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  2. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

is this in the wrong section or what? lol

3. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Usualy pics or clips are required to draw a crowd.

4. Thanatopsis

Thanatopsis SS.org Regular

I had a VTM120 since early 97 and loved it. If I had the choice I probably would've gotten a 60 though, even though it wouldn't have been that much quieter, the 120 was just obscenely loud. It was stolen and ended up getting replaced with a Rockmaster & Classic 60/60. Since you mention getting a RM next, one thing I felt made a major improvement is replacing the .001uF at C14 with a .0022uF. As much as I loved the VTM, I definitely like my current setup more. When you get the Rockmaster, do you plan on getting a power amp for it or using it with the VTM running into the loop return? I wish I had owned both at the same time cause I'd love to hear how it sounds with the VTM's power amp.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

:agreed:

Need pics/clips or it's a Spider/POD 2.0

6. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

ill run it into my ehx magnum44 until i track down the peavey 50/50 (need those resonance and presence controls!)

7. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

LOL gotcha . pics incoming!

8. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

seems weird that i cant edit my post later on, so i guess im stuck adding pics way down here. but here they are!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

Buddy of mine has the VTM60. It's a beast, so this is probably even more so.

Fun amps, I must say.

10. monkeysuncle

monkeysuncle SS.org Regular

2 rad pieces of gear for sure. Have a "like".