NAD x2: Mesa Mark V and 5150 Block Letter

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by TheWarAgainstTime, Oct 23, 2017.

1. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

At least the UL stayed "in the family" so you can probably get it back easily :yesway: how would you compare it to the Sig:X overall?

2. TheWarAgainstTime

Yikes, double post

3. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

The UL is a little more aggressive, has a little more balls. Not the the Sig: X lacks balls. The Sig: X is a more diverse amp though. You can dial in a better clean tone, and some great vintage rock tones.

I love it because I play in a post-metal band, and the Sig: X nails all the tones I need it to.

Yes, thank god the UL did stay in the family...now I just have to convince my buddy to sell it back to me.

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  4. TeeWX

TeeWX All The Br00tz

Excellent pick up!

So you really like the 5751 in the v1 for the 5150 then? I recently re-tubed my 5150 after not having played it for a year and I noticed my gain at anything past 2/10 is overkill on the red channel when using a boost. I had thought about picking up a lower gain tube but wasn't sure. After seeing your post I'm curious. Which 5751 did you use? Have you tried various brands or are they all pretty much going to be the same? The Jan-* tubes seem to be curiously expensive. A regular JJ or Sovtek wouldn't be a bad price to experiment with though. Do you see any reason you'd go back to a regular 12ax7 in v1?

5. TheWarAgainstTime

Yeah, I still keep the gain around 3, maybe 4 at the most, even with the 5751. These amps just have ludicrous gain, but the 5751 helps retain a bit of definition and clarity. It sort of takes away some hair from the input and allows the eq and gain controls to have a slightly more pronounced effect.

I use JJ's for all my 5751's since they were cheap and easy to find, though I haven't tried any other brand to compare. No complaints, though. I normally don't like JJ 12AX7's since they're fairly dark and get mushy, but the 5751 isn't like that at all.

You might also check out some 12AT7 or 12AU7 tubes for lower gain as well. The 5751 accentuates a bit of midrange, but the 12AT7 is fairly flat like a regular 12AX7, but cleaner/lower gain. In my EVH 50w, I use a 5751 in V1 and a 12AT7 in V4 to help tame the red channel.

I might put an EHX or Chinese 12AX7 in V1 at some point, but probably only out of boredom :lol:

TeeWX and KailM like this.
  6. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I, too, use JJ 5751s in both V1 and the Phase inverter position and don't see myself ever changing that [with all the 5150/6505 variants I've owned]. I've always wanted to try a JAN/nos 5751 but I never feel like shelling out $60+ when I get the itch. The JJs sound amazing anyway.

With all 12ax7s, it always sounds over-saturated no matter how low I set the gain. With 5751s, I can actually dial in a little more gain and it keeps its tightness, balls, AND clarity all at the same time. And a bonus is it improves your cleans.

7. TheWarAgainstTime

I'm also curious to try a high end JAN or similar, but I know if I like it I'll end up wanting to get one for each of my amps where I use a 5751 :lol: just like how I use the same Sovtek LPS for all my phase inverter spots

I'm not concerned about cleans for the block letter, but the 5751 has definitely helped a bit with my EVH clean tones :yesway: it lets me put the gain up around 4 to where the sound starts to fill out and have good dynamics, but doesn't have any grit unless I really dig in with my right hand and/or bridge humbucker