NAD!! swapsies

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by maccayoung, Apr 29, 2010.

1. maccayoung

maccayoung SS.org Regular

this:
    [​IMG]

has magically transformed into...

this!:
    [​IMG]

Here's how this transformation happened (aka - GAS in effect):
    So I'm browsing the internet and I find out that Blackstar have just released the HT-20. At this stage I've had my Dual Terror for a couple of weeks and I'm pretty happy with it. It looks cool, does a mean rock sound, and put a pedal in front of it and it can do a pretty convincing teh brootalz. Still, it can't hurt to send off an email to the music store and ask them if they have any HT-20s in store can it? Surely not, I have an inquisitive mind that's all. I have no intention of buying a new amp, I've just purchased one. Why would a need a new one?

The next day I get a reply stating that coincidentally they've just imported some into the country and they expect them to be in store next week. Even better, it's only $999 for the head (the dual terror was $1499). Great! Fantastic! Wonderful! Spectacular!

At this stage I'm kicking myself. I had originally tried the ht-5 and the only reason I didn't get it was because it was only five watts. I ended up getting the dual terror because it was 30 watts. Something that could keep up with a drummer if I needed it to.

I figure the best way to get around my conundrum is to pretend I never saw or heard about the HT-20, and under no circumstances am I to go into the store and try it out. No, never, ever. That would be foolhardy.

A week goes by...

Well it can't hurt to try it out, I mean I'm in town anyway I might as well go into the music shop. Amps are meant to be played and just because I'm going to play it doesn't mean I'm going to buy it, sheesh.

I'm in the store playing the ht-20 through a Charvel equipped with seymour duncans. It's everything I remembered about the ht-5, a killer overdrive channel, loads of gain on tap. The ISF dial really does work, turn it left it's a US flavoured amp, right and it's British. Oh what's this? They've added tone knob to the clean channel and a reverb. Well what could a single knob possibly do? I bet it's crappy reverb too. Ah, actually the verb sounds pretty good, and for one knob that tone knob surprisingly effective.

Crap, I really want this amp.

Luckily the music store were awesome, they let me swap the Dual Terror for the HT-20 and gave me store credit for the difference! I took a little bit of a hit, but it wasn't too bad considering I'd had the Dual Terror for a month.

So long story short, I'm super stoked. That is, until the next small high gain amp head comes along ;)

2. ralphy1976

ralphy1976 1 less ERGNESS

nice deal!!!!

i have the blackstar dual distortion pedals and it rocks!!! sounds like blackstar are really good, their heads are getting a lot of attention these days!!!

3. CrushingAnvil

CrushingAnvil \m not jesus land m/

Very cool man.

4. Banana Wedgie

Banana Wedgie Bored 13 year old

Nice trade, it seems like a massive aesthetic upgrade (IMO, Orange heads are ugly).

I liked the HT-5, but it wasn't my cup of tea.

But people were cueing out of the door, waiting to try it out, cue jumping a arguing, their cab being better than the Blackstar matched. There was about four or five people waiting, but that's quite a bit, especially when you consider I live in a place where people shun noise pollution. Anyway, everybody in front of me (both of them) bought theirs the next day online.

And if the HT-20 is anything like the HT-5, its gonna be out of stock for the next month after it gets there.

5. maccayoung

maccayoung SS.org Regular

Yeah when I was in the store they said there were only three heads left in the country (including the one I was looking at).

6. ridner

ridner Bastard of Thousands

congrats on the swap. I played an HT-5 and came really close to picking one up. for your sake, I hope they don't come out w/ a better version of the HT-20 :mrburns:

7. Apophis

Apophis Banned

Congrats !!!!