NAD/Review/Demo: Orange Brent Hinds Terror!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Guitarjon, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

I got an Orange Brent Hinds Terror recently so here's the demo in 4 styles and review:

This amp sounds a little bit similar to my Rocker 15 Terror but it definitely has it's own thing going on.
    The clean channel has a thick and warm sound with a lot of mids.
    It does not have that bright 'fender' clarity but that could be changed with an eq pedal in front of the amp or in the loop.
    Since it only has one knob (level) you can't really tweak it much.
    I really enjoy the breakup of the clean channel though and it sounded great with the bridge pickup of my strat, not really ice-picky but more round and almost sounding like a humbucker.

This amp has very nice drive sounds on the dirty channel as you'd expect.
    It has a nice and raw sound with roaring mids and raspy highs (in a good way).
    The bottom end isn't huge sounding, so I'd say the low end is nice and tidey.
    For this reason and the lack of gain it's not the best amp for metal but it can definitely work, especially if you pair it with a good cab.
    With the gain set a little bit lower the upper mid frequencies come through better.
    It can definitely sound plexi-ish with the gain at moderate levels.

Overall it's a very cool amp with great attenuation features for the bedroom guitarists out there!
    If you're looking for a versatile Orange amp with it's own unique tonal characteristics, this could be the amp for you!
    For really heavy death metal etc. I wouldn't recommend this amp although like I said, it can do those things, just not as well as some other amps.

2. primitiverebelworld

primitiverebelworld SS.org Regular

The last tone is totally Loomis from The Enemies of Reality! The mids, the familiar snarl from that record and his tone in a whole from this era...Correct me still...
    Your playthroughs rock as at the previous time. They make people to get new guitars, amps etc. This is not a small achievement!

Guitarjon likes this.
  3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

IIRC this amp's Orange's take on an old Plexi, since Brent is an old-school Marshall fan. I wonder how it sounds being boosted with an SD-1?

Guitarjon likes this.
  4. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

I haven't tried it with a boost pedal but I imagine it would work well.
    I would advise about being careful about cutting low end from the guitar signal as the BH doesn't have a huge amount of hefty lows.
    It does have them in the distortion characteristics but not so much in the post-power amp eq curve, if that makes sense?
    I haven't used an SD1 in years though but if it has nice low end you should be good!

5. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Sounds good. You didn't record the cab, but rather use emulation?
    Personally, I'd prefer to hear that with its corresponding package cab miked, to be able to get the complete vision of the artist and amp designer for this line.

Guitarjon likes this.
  6. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

I used a loadbox and IRs of 4 different cabs.
    The Brent hinds amp doesn't have a matching cab but in the fourth clip you can hear it through IRs of a 4x12 Orange with greenbacks.
    Sounds huge!