NAD! Randall RD1

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by primitiverebelworld, Dec 31, 2017.

1. primitiverebelworld

primitiverebelworld SS.org Regular

Look what santa brought...

I smell new tolex! And tubes!

Ready to rock!

After some time(4 years) with HoTone HeartAttack I decided to go tube again and change my practice sound up a bit. All and I mean ALL youtube demos sounded convincing enough to get this amp so I did. After 6 hours of playing I say you this: Its 4 kg heavier than Vox Littlenighttrain which had the same tube configuration - so it must have bigger transformer and internal loadbox also counts. Good things both. It is a true bedroom amp - when I rock at my jamming place I have volume on 7 out of 10 to match my backing track and hide guitar string noise. Heart Attack at 5w SS is louder! Its incredible because their weight difference is 11x. The tone stack is the main thing to find your sound(I will try EQ in the loop certainly). The left position has the most mids and is the least saturated. The rightmost is really scooped and saturated with heaps of low end(too much but you can not out-eq them without external pedal probably). The middle one is...well something in between. Tone shape knob(the big black one not TSS) acts like guitar tone knob and usable position is actually only on 6-7 out of 10. I like the left setting on TSS the most(usable) because it has mids and is a lot clearer and more dry than others. It needs clean boost still even with EMG 57 that my axe has. But I can play both rhytm and lead with bridge pickup on this setting without compromising low end chug and solo tone smoothness. Middle and right settings do not actually need a boost and are really good for death metal and sludge black metal or old skool trash - lead tone gets icepicky but it may have something to do my single pup guitar and chinese V30. My choice of music is my own creation in the veins of TBDM, old In Flames and old Soilwork reincarnational covers and I have found my tone actually(for now at least). FX loop works cool and no pops while switching.
    Recommendable as a practice amp. But all those hybrid mini heads like Dark Terror, Joyo Zombie and even 5w HoTone are certainly louder. But mine is all tube :)
    Have not yet tried XLR out because no cable atm. If any of you has - do I need one with mono or stereo plug end?

PS. Looks like I have to somewhat disassemble the amp in order to check or change tubes. If any of you has done it would you please confirm that I must undo 4 srews at the bottom and remove all the knobs - then slide it out of the tolex shell...?

2. sylcfh

sylcfh SS.org Regular

You just need to remove the cage and the feet.

It also makes a great power amp. The loop is instrument level, so you could use anything.

3. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

Pics are not working, but congrats!

4. primitiverebelworld

primitiverebelworld SS.org Regular

Oh I fixed the pics - they were private :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  5. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

congrats! thanks for the review!