NAD: Ampeg SVT-II

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by cardinal, Sep 15, 2017.

1. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

i like this a lot:
    [​IMG]

Had been using a G-K 800rb, which sounds great. But the SVT is what's I've always wanted (Mike Starr!) and man it is awesome. Warmer but plenty of very pleasant cut on the top end. Blurps and pops in all the right ways. Of course, first thing I played was the intro for Alice In Chains Would?.

Pretty early production. March '89.

But terrible to move. OMG it's heavy. Even with the rest of the guys helping, definitely understand why Class D has been so widely embraced.

Harry, thraxil, stevexc and 2 others like this.
  2. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

Holy smokes, that must weigh a ton. Does it live in the carpeted corner or do you have to tow it back and forth to gigs / rehearsals every time?

3. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

I suspect it's going to live there unfortunately. It's so damn hard to move. The cab is easy enough to move only if you're ok with dragging it over stairs and curbs and such, which is pretty hard on it. Why don't these have side handles??? Wonder if I should just add some. That would make it so much easier to handle stairs.

And the head... I'm not superman but I generally can carry around reasonable amounts of stuff without complaining... that head does not weigh a reasonable amount...

Love the way it sounds but I'm kinda bummed at the impracticality of it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Fuck. Heaviest amp in the world, but one of the best sounding bass rigs next to the old Mesa tube heads.

What are they? Like, 90 pounds?

5. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

It feels like it. I think I've read the amp itself is about 70+ pounds, and that headshell case can't be weightless.

I knew it'd be heavy but I'm a bit stunned at how difficult it is to carry around. (TMI but my knee is messed up right now which makes even carry groceries a PITA, so I'm just grumpy about carrying anything right now I guess).

6. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

^ actually I just read that the SVT-II is 85 pounds. Add in that headshell and we're easily over 90 pounds. Makes me feel a bit better knowing that it feels so heavy because it is so heavy.

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

If you ever plan on gigging, maybe find the preamp version?

[​IMG]

8. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

Yeah, I was thinking that the preamp was what I really wanted. I think Rex Brown used that with a Crest CA9 power amp. But the full amp came up for a nice price, and it really sounds good but OMG I can't move this thing.

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

Only problem I would see is that you don'g get the 300W power section, which is also a key to the SVT sound. That massive, heavy, inefficient power section is one of the best sounding power amps for bass, IMO. :lol:

10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've got one of those, and I really like it. Beats the Sansamp that it replaced. The IIP + a Crown power amp has been my setup for the last year or so. Sound guy spontaneously complimented me on the improvement the first time I took it to a show. I'd love to hear it through a tube power section though.

cardinal likes this.
  11. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

The SVT definitely seems to be a bit of a Frankenstein design that happened to get the job done.

12. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

I imagine these things and similarly heavy Ampeg's have been a contributing factor to many a bass player's shoulder tendonitis/rotator cuff problems/spinal injuries :lol:
    Very cool nonetheless:metal:

cardinal likes this.
  13. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

Yeah, it's a bit of a raw deal, especially for rock/metal bassists. Bass guitars themselves are heavier than guitars. The equipment is heavier. And you get buried in the mix anyway. And it seems like none of the audience cares about you.

14. HeHasTheJazzHands

Jason Newsted made the news about 10 years ago because he broke his shoulder trying to lift an SVT. :lol: He says thats why he became a painter. Couldn't play bass for a year.