NAD 5150(script)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by NorCal_Val, Sep 26, 2017.

1. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val SS.org Regular

I thought I'd never own another Peavey guitar amp. The first two amps I owned, 37 years ago, were Peavey. And they were terrible sounding.
    FFWD to yesterday. I traded my "spare" Rivera Duo Twelve for a 5150("script" version).
    After having it for 24 hours and playing through it with my cabs and different guitars, I've gotta say I'm impressed.(I haven't used an OD pedal yet..., so I'll update that in a day or two)
    Everyone knows the gain channel is a beast.(true dat!) But, on top of the raging distortion, I really like how "quick" the attack is on single notes.
    (With the pre-amp gain between 4 and 5)
    The 5150 is not, to my ears, a Marshall wannabe. It has its own thing going on.
    I'm really looking forward to using the 5150 in an upcoming project!!
    A few side notes:
    The clean tone is much better than I expected. Even using the same eq settings as the gain channel, I got a nice, chime-y clean tone. Not harsh at all. I'd be totally fine switching between the clean and the distortion tones.
    The hiss, while certainly present, isn't as bad as I've read about. And, it doesn't really get any worse between 3-6 on the pre-amp gain. With how loud the amp will be played in a band situation, I'm pretty certain I'd never notice it.
    Running the 5150 through my Boogie Recto cabs is just pummeling!! Great note definition, and really nice an' tight low end. I had the master volume at 4, and :deathm::deathm::deathm:.
    My neighbors probably weren't too thrilled.
    Stoked!!!!

2. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

guitar > tuner > OD > gate > 5150 > mesa 412 = :hbang:
    congratulations!

NorCal_Val likes this.
  3. buriedoutback

4. NorCal_Val

Quick question;
    do you run your gate out in front of the input, or in the FX loop?

5. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

I’ve always found the clean channel usable as well. I always use the low gain input though so maybe that makes a difference. Enjoy it man

NorCal_Val likes this.
  6. buriedoutback

i run my tuner/od/gate all out front. It kills the OD noise. I don't find my 5150 to be too noisy otherwise. if you want a dead silent system, gating the fx loop also helps.

NorCal_Val likes this.
  7. NorCal_Val

Yep.
    Using the "Normal Gain" input.
    Although, using the "High Gain" input I'm not noticing much difference in the hiss/noise.(if at all?)

8. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

I think it’s really dependent on the pickups being used and the volume being played at. Most of my guitars are med-hi to high output pickups and the 5150 has always supplied gain for days. Ive always kept the pre gain at 4. I noticed more hiss and general noise in the high input on the red channel so I switched to the low input and have used it with the 5150,6505, and 6505+ Ever since. If I remember right it tamed the high end a tad as well. But I use a 10 band and gate in the loop so it changes all of that.

NorCal_Val likes this.
  9. buriedoutback

^^^^ oh ya i forgot, definitely an eq in the loop. makes a crazy difference in tone!!
    I use a cheapo Danelectro Fish and Chips 7-Band EQ Pedal that I paid $40 for new.

NorCal_Val and DudeManBrother like this.
  10. NorCal_Val

Morning OD testing session;
    Used my ancient Boss SD-1 with the level all the way up, drive off, and tone right in the middle. I got, as expected, a great tone out of the Lead channel. The SD-1 does the "tightening up the low end" trick, but also introduces its "voice" in the high-mid area. Not a bad thing, but it might not be for everyone.
    With the Pre-Gain at 5, I got a very good lead tone. Right at the edge of out-of-control, but still responsive to pick attack dynamics through both the bridge and neck pickups.
    The surprise was with the "Crunch" engaged on the Rhythm channel, the gain at 7-8 with the SD-1 on; a very nice hard rock type of tone. Good note definition, and nice sustain.
    Certainly not "metal", but a tone you could switch between with the Lead channel doing the lead tone.
    Post Gain at 2 on both channels.

11. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

I have always ran a Boss NS-2 in 4CM to kill 100% of the noise while I am not playing. I can't live without it anymore.

Congrats on the rig. 5150 into a Mesa 412 is pretty standard metal rig for a reason, and the price is not too bad on the wallet, either.

NorCal_Val likes this.
  12. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Nice trade! I recently picked up a 5150 block letter and still need to write up a NAD thread. Killer amps for sure :metal:

NorCal_Val likes this.
  13. NorCal_Val

OD update:
    I tried out my ol' favorite Kasha OD pedal with the 5150 this afternoon.
    Didn't like it.
    At all.
    It introduces a weird harshness to the 5150 that is just not good. I'm not sure how to explain how it sounds, other than "bad".
    The Kasha works great with both my Riveras and the Lee Jackson/Ampeg.
    Funny how pedals interact with different amps.:facepalm:

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  14. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

:cheers: Great choice in amps! I have a 6505 head myself which is identical circuit-wise. I have played A LOT of different amps over the years and I can say with certainty that nothing "out-brutals" a 5150/6505. It just has the perfect balance of crushing lows (still somewhat tight), grinding mids, and singing highs.

Interesting that your other OD pedal didn't play well with it. I do think that the SD-1 is a great match for it, and kind of helps get away from the typical TS + 5150 'metalcore' sound. I run an MXR M77 OD which is based on the SD-1 and it definitely is the icing on the cake for me. Having control over the bass frequencies really helps me fine-tune the response of the amp. Finally, I can't say enough how I also agree with some of the posts above that an EQ in the loop REALLY helps a 5150/6505 come to life.

Also, this thread got me to mess around with my lower gain input, which I haven't spent a lot of time using. I feel like it kind of gets you a whole different range of tones -- a little more "hard rock" than metal. I got some excellent cleans last night using that input as well. If you have coil-splitting options with your pickups, a little reverb/delay in the effects loop, and have some patience with EQ and gain settings -- great cleans can be had in these heads -- despite popular belief.

NorCal_Val likes this.
  15. NorCal_Val

OD update:
    I tried out my Protone Bulb OD(the 2 button version) with the 5150 this morning.
    Again, I was unsurprised at the tone that came roaring out of the speakers when using the Lead channel of the 5150. I had the Bulb OD set with the Level up all the way, the Tone at noon, and the drive off.(Playing my '97 "Black and Silver" Universe, de-tuned a whole step)
    The distortion is tight/defined, and feels like a piledriver is working next door. The mid-range is super present without any hint of being nasally. It'd cut through in any band situation. I also tried it with the amp pre-amp gain up to 5; it became a bit more prone to feeding back, but it didn't lose any definition.
    The 5150/Bulb combo; big thumbs up.
    The surprise came when I switched over to the Rhythm channel on the 5150.
    WOW.
    With the Bulb OD pummeling the pre-amp, I was getting a super aggressive rock/hard rock type of tone.(I kept the eq on the amp the same as when on the Lead channel) Much closer to a hot rodded Marshall-type of tone than with the Boss SD-1. Again, not a heavy metal/djent-type of tone, but for application in a rock/hard rock setting, it'd be killer.

16. NorCal_Val

Alright kids, I have a winner.(only by a hair, mind you)
    The J.Rockett Allan Holdsworth OD pedal.
    To my ears, the Rockett Holdsworth OD and the Protone Bulb OD sound quite similar in how they push the front end of the 5150; they give the amp that nice aggressive mid-range and tighten up the bottom end.
    All of the qualities I listed for the Bulb apply to the Holdsworth.
    The reason I think the Holdsworth beats out the Bulb is the eq section, and overall adjustability/flexibility.(plus it's built like a tank)
    With "Level" maxed on both pedals, neither one introduced an unacceptable amount of noise.(actually very little at all) But they both pushed the 5150(with pre-amp gain on 4) into seriously ferocious distortion.
    And, when the Boost on the Holdsworth OD is turned on, holy cr@p. Single notes/leads just explode.
    Alrighty then;
    I've gotta say the 5150 is a really good amp for heavy tones, and I'm stoked that I picked one up.

17. seahawk29

seahawk29 SS.org Regular

5150s are still the king of heavy amps in my opinion. Try the Green channel with the mids cranked up, lows down a bit and moderate gain for a good classic rock tone as well.

NorCal_Val likes this.