N amp+cab D !!!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Gmork, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

rsz_21fotor_154710459644293.jpg my (basically mint) Randall T2 arrived today!! Came from a music locker in LA owned by none other than thee douche cringe fest band KISS!!!
    Talked the bay seller down to $380 US!!!

Yesterday found a 100% MINT mesa recto 2x12 for $550 CANADIAN (aka $415 US)!!!

-1st impressions.
    Randall T2: i havent done it any justice since ive only played it at home as quietly as humanly possible but what i gather is that it has very cutting mids, a kind of raw 5150 grind but darker and a very deep punchy thick lowend which im just DYING to hear FOR REAL!

Ive read others descriptions that it does its own randall thing but kind of lies somewhere between the 5150 and dual rec and being a former owner of both id have to agree. And thats a GOOD thing!

Really seems like a seriously aggressive beast from what i can tell from these pathetic volumes lol.

I have to add that imho this is one of the most attractive amps ive ever laid eyes on!

Mesa cab:
    Its the famous mesa recto 2x12 cab... Its great duh!!

Clips asap!

2. gunch

gunch chungus

HURRY SLUT

Bearitone likes this.
  3. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Congrats on the amp. It was a VERY sad day when I sold mine but even if I still did have it, I wouldn't be able to really let it rip like it needs to.
    I guarantee you're gonna love it once you get that thing cranked up. Even more, the onboard boost works just as good as a pedal.

4. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Still somewhat confused by the midi footswitches capabilities since im completely new to midi in general. So its only compatible/useful if i have midi capable pedals right?

5. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

One of the best cabs around IMO :yesway: I've never played a T2, but I got to borrow a Randall V2 at a show when my Rectifier blew a fuse. Very cool amps, cool aesthetic, and a pretty unique sound. Congrats on the deals!

Gmork likes this.
  6. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

The randalll uses a 7 pin midi footswitch as far as i know.

Does anyone know if i can get a different footswitch for it that only has one footswitch? I only need to be ableto switch from clean ch to higain ch and would always have the fx loop engaged. That 4 button footswitch takes up so much unnecessary room

7. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Congrats on two cool pieces of gear!

To be clear, are you saying this amp was an amp used by KISS (likely Paul Stanley)??
    If so, that is super cool in my books!

8. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Yes thee kiss! The bay seller which is a legitimate store has tonnes of stuff from a locker that was owned by kiss. And sorry about bad mouthing them but i cant stand em lol but it IS cool/interesting none the less though not sure if kiss actually played the amp but at very least owned it

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  9. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Ha ha, no need to apologize (how Canadian of you--lol--I'm Canadian too so maybe I should also apologize, lol)! Not everyone likes band X, it's all good :)

Yeah definitely a cool history to it for sure. Love to hear the history of gear, adds to its mojo.

Be sure to post how you like the amp when at gigging volume!

Solodini and Gmork like this.
  10. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Took the T2 into band practice tonight. Was dialing it in (pretty loudly) for about 5 minutes when all of a sudden NO SOUND, not even speaker hum. Still powered on and looking fine but just zero sound. Plugged straight into amp and still nothing.
    Used my backup amp no problems, cab is fine.

What a bummer.

Ive been playing it without any issues almost every day for the past week (but only at extreme LOW volume.

When i got home tonight i tried to troubleshoot it. What i found was the fuse looks fine. Tried plugging straight into fxloop return still nothing. Open it up and the single poweramp tube (i think), was not lit up.

Can high volume push an old tube over the edge?

11. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

For those of you who are experienced with this specific amp can you recommend tubes please, whatever is thick, beastly has some presence without being harsh.

Figure ill try retubing it before taking it to a pro

12. Wookieslayer

Wookieslayer OOOAAARWWWRR

Hey dude! Came in to say congrats on the amp! I used to have a T2 and just responded to your profile comment last night.

Anyway when I had my T2 something really similar happened to mine. I was playing at volume and then the volume was going in an out and then nothing! I swapped the 12AT7 in the buffer of the power section and even the v1 slot 12ax7 to a known working tube but it didn't seem to make a difference. Gave the amp to my tech to fix it and he said it powered up and played loud and well just fine :scratch: He even looked inside and saw no traces of blown fuses or burnt traces. Then we took the amp to our practice spot and she kicked ass again. Not sure why it did that, but I attributed to shitty power in my bedroom. Amp never gave me problems after that but I ended up selling it for a Vegas trip :lol: and held on to my V2, which I still have.

FWIW I have a Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG+ in the v1 slot and a Penta Labs 12at7 in the buffer. These were recommended to me by Doug from Doug's tubes and before I swapped for them I think the amp had a mix of JJs and EHX ax7s.

I never had the footswitch for my T2 either so I ended up purchasing a Tech21 MIDI mouse which worked fantastic even just for switching channels and keeping the loop engaged. The MIDI mouse can be had for like 50-60$ used. Found mine on musicgoround. Also this pedal uses a regular 5-pin MIDI cable.
    http://sevenstring.org/threads/new-pedal-day-w-video-and-new-cd-too.195591/

Good luck hope you get the new amp working!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Gmork likes this.