My string journey ending at the NYXL 1074

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by shadow070, Nov 17, 2017.

1. shadow070

shadow070 SS.org Regular

Since i got my RG2228 i have been trying different sets of strings from different company's.

When i got it, the strings the guitar came with where quite good. I think its the standard ibanez strings. I guess a 10 to 74 set.

Since then i have tried:
    *GHS: (i tried 2 types, dont remember which on) i didnt like the balance of tension and string thickness. My tone was to focused on the high freq. and resulted in a doll sounding guitar tone.
    *Earnyball: The slinky and cobalt. Here i got a much better balance from tensions and freq. compared to GHS. I wasn't happy yet, there was still something missing.
    *DR: 10 to 75. I dont even remember how this one was, i think i swapped it the next day.
    *D'addario: The XL series, simply put, lifeless.

So here is the deal. Quite fast, i think my third time changing strings i got the NYXL 1074 from d'addario. After that set i have tried all the others, i just had to try them out. The NYXl is plm. €24,- and the others around € 12,-. Money isn't an issue but it would have been cool if a cheaper set also would have been as nice. So my findings as i have put them above are collerd because i tried them after i already found my go to set.

I really liked the NYXL series and here is why. I get more top freq. as is stated by them. The notes, chords... they pop, sound full and alive. The balance in tension and thickness between strings i have found the best.

If you havent tried the NYXL1074 yet, please do!!! It might not be for you but damn it works for me.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  2. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

Which tuning do you play on your 2228?

3. shadow070

shadow070 SS.org Regular

Drop E
    i love the looseness of the .74 and dont feel the need to go higher.

4. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

ok thanks, i just checked at thomann and there is also a 009-080 set. Have you tried that too?

5. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Nice!
    Funny enough, I had always hated the tone of my Gibson LP (Menace series with special edition 498T pickup with brass studs/slug) until I threw on some NYXL's. They gave me the midrange the pickups were lacking and helped tame the boominess as well. Now I can't not buy NYXL's for that guitar, lol

6. robski92

robski92 SS.org Regular

The 009-080 set is the only one I use with my 8 strings. (I play in drop E or drop Eb)

7. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

I love how a 74 feels down to Eb, but I feel the rest of the set is rather imbalanced.

The 64 is WAY too tight for me on the 7th string, and 10-54 is a little too thick for my first 6. 9.5-46+56+74 or 9.5-48+58+74 is what I usually rock. But I'd love for Stringjoy to start making 76s. This is generally in Drop Ab low Eb or Drop A low E, but it handles standard fine as well as Drop G low D.

It's nice to see someone else appreciating the feel and tone of a 74 gauge string. So many people on this forum go for 80s, 85s, or even 90s and I honestly don't understand it. I used to use a 90 but the tonesucking is real once you go up too far in gauge. 80 is the max I'd go unless I was consistently staying at D or below.

8. shadow070

shadow070 SS.org Regular

I just got two new packs again.
    The 09-80 is for the longer scale guitars. I did try it in the beginning but swapped it oud the next day. The strings where to loose. A longer scale guitar would benefit this set best. I think its best when used for the 28inch scale guitars like the M8M.

It really depends on the guitar and pickups. For my UV777BK u only use GHS boomers, i cant stand other strings in it.

The NYXL is not as cheap as the others, but the tone and much longer life makes it worth every penny.

My brother doesnt like these strings, so its really a personal taste.
    My rig is simple and shines due to the strings now.
    My signal chain:
    Rg2228 straight in to my amp
    Diezel Herbert
    Engl 1X12 V30 (a damn very old one)
    In mu serial loop i have a big sky and a flashback delay

I just swapped my mxr carbon copy with the flashback, wanting to try something else and i can tell you, thats one of my worst gear swaps ever.

0.80 and 0.85 i have tried:
    Better note clarity and no flub
    In the end i just loved the tone and feel of the .74 more.
    I guess i just love the string hitting the fretboard and loosenes in tone, especially when playing clean.

Im happy i found my perfect strings.
    If you havent tryed them yet, please do, you might like them as much.

9. Glades

Glades SS.org Regular

You guys are incredible!

I can't tell all these tonal differences that you guys are finding between different string brands. Some feel different yes, but sound?

2 strings in the same gauge = I more than likely can't tell which brand is which by tone alone.

An ernie ball slinky and d'addario in the same gauge sound identical to me. How can you guys tell?

10. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Formula of different kinds of metals affects the sound, some are brighter, and others sound more dull because of that. That also affects to other qualities of the string, like staying in tune or resistance of corrosion. Differences get more audible especially if listening happens in any kind of studio enviroment. Another thing that affects significantly to feel and sound is core thickness and shape in wound strings or possible coating/treating.

Feel of Ernie Ball's is more soft and grippy than with any kind of D'addario nickel steel strings. D's are brighter and have harder feel, and I suppose there is little bit more tension in them. But in comparison of various string brands it would be very hard to tell which is what and so on.

NYXL's are definetly really bright and have kind of "3D" sound in them, they sound more lively I would say. They also stay in tune very well, but normal D'addario EXL's are enough for me, because I just can't justify paying two times more for NYXL's.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  11. AkiraSpectrum

When it comes to NYXL's the differences between regular EXL's and Ernie Ball's is much more pronounced. NYXL's have a tighter low end and more high-mids.

When it comes to regular EXL's and Ernie Ball's (Slinky's) the D'addario's are brighter and tend to have more lows and highs, while the EB's tend to be warmer and have a more even EQ.

12. AkiraSpectrum

I agree with you on every point, except perhaps for the tension aspect.

I once received the tension values for EB's Slinky's 10-46 on a 25.5" scale. The tension values were actually almost the same or higher tension than D'addario's. The EB rep said that the 'perceived' tension of EB's is lower, even though their actual tension may be higher/similar, and this is largely due to the construction (design) of the strings.

Metropolis likes this.
  13. Toejam

Toejam SS.org Regular

This. It's a nice, balanced set. I'll sometimes custom order LaBella strings in the same gauge or sometimes add an 82. Anything lower than an 80 is too floppy.