My solo project, Animus! Check it out!

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Dylemus, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Dylemus

Dylemus Metalcore-ish Player

Hey guys, I have a new solo project coming up! Writing, recording, mixing, and mastering all done by me. I had help from a friend on a couple songs though. Here's a playthrough of one of the songs from my upcoming debut album. Let me know what you guys think!

If you guys like what you hear, the album is up for pre-order here:
    https://animusproject.bandcamp.com/

2. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

I think your compression is acting really strange in these staccato riffs.

3. Hajtosek

Hajtosek SS.org Regular

For me the background rhythm guitar sounds incredibly artificial and it's tiny bit too quiet.

4. Dylemus

I did have some trouble with the compression. It would always either clip, or make everything sound way too "flubby", if that makes any sense lol. I probably didn't leave enough headroom for the guitar in the mix, so perhaps I kinda over-compressed it?

Maybe due to the overcompression? And I do agree with the artificial tone, I'm not too happy about that. I used BIAS FX, which is all I really had lol. That sim really lacks a good low-end, and I had a really hard time getting a nice beefy tone. I just discovered that TSE X50 sim, which makes me sad LOL. But thank you guys for the feedback! I really appreciate it.

5. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

Yeah I'm not a pro of compression or mixing either, but when there are rests in your riffs, and then the guitars come back in, they are louder than they should, maybe it's overcompressed, or maybe change the attack/release settings. I don't know really.

6. Noxon

Noxon Is a Lurker

Try setting the attack time really short, and if your comp has the feature, try using the auto release. I do that frequently to a decent result. I also try to keep the ratio relatively low... Like, 1.5:1 or 2:1 at the most. I've found that you don't need as much compression as you think. A little bit goes a long way.

7. Dylemus

Ahh, alright, I'll give that a try. I've actually been doing kind of the opposite, setting the attack way high, and the putting the ratio around 4:1. I'm totally overcompressing lol. But thanks for the tip though, I really appreciate it!