My second SK "7-th fan" guitar (question, pics,... the process as it goes)

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by tuttermuts, Nov 6, 2017.

1. tuttermuts

tuttermuts SS.org Regular

Huzzah! HUZZAH!

The time is finally here where I get to share with you guys the process of having my second fanned 7string built by the amazingly capable hands of a certain "Stijn Kenens" http://skluthier.be/

The first one (link in my sig) was enough to convince me to sell my parker fly and go full 7string, haven't looked back I gotta say.

So like I did last time I wanna run over some specs, get some input from you guys, and as it develops share some pics with you guys as wel (oh goody!). We're aiming for a stage version of the last one, that's a bit darker in looks, but at the same time still has that classy organic look.

So what are we looking at:
    -Mahogany/Ebony Neck
    -Mahogany wings
    -Wenge Top
    -Ebony fretboard
    -Black hardware
    -Brass nut
    -scooped lower horn (for the pinky to wiggle around in)
    -Dunlop Straplocks sunken into the body
    -That typical ibanez styled upwards slanted input jack (because my inner teenager secretly still wants to be Steve Vai somehow...I play black metal)

That said, here's the questions we still gotta tackle:

-Top load or string thru? (the internet says everything and nothing at the same time, topload=> easier bends?)
    -Has any of you guys have expierience with the hipshot fanned fret bridge?
    -pickups! Holy crap I can't make my mind up, there's even a seperate topic by me about it
    -Vol/Tone knobs (we want something black, and not too typical, like something you'd find on an old moog perhaps?)
    -Neckthrough visible through the front or cover it up with the wenge (we're pretty set on showing the neck, some pretty piece of naked neck)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  2. tuttermuts

tuttermuts SS.org Regular

So apparently my old topic from the previous guitar is gone (probably due to the forum being renewed recently)
    Here's the first one [​IMG]

And here's some wood. 23377071_10155898962819228_1321017801_o.jpg
    This is just for the purpose of getting an idea of the colors. (Btw little factoid, I'm not sure but I think that might be the same piece of mahogany used in the guitar from the guy from triggerfinger).

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  3. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

this should be epic

please post lots of pics

tuttermuts likes this.