My Recording Studio progress thread. (Updated again - Vocal Booth)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Chris, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

I spent all last night, and will spend the rest of this weekend finally starting on my recording studio. Got the walls painted, ceiling, ran new plugs, and have static-reducing black carpet on the way to my house.

Woohoo!

Pics from night one:

The ceiling was white before, and the whole room was this AWFUL fuckin' sea-foam institutional green color. Yuck!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

Hey man, you a recording geru, check the recording forum, i've got a question there..

3. Chris

Some pics of the progress. Dig the pimp vinyl flooring that was under the carpet. :lol:

Still a lot to do, obviously, but it's coming along. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Josh

Josh Guest

That looks good man!

5. Chris

Today: Finished up all of the trim, touched up a few spots on the ceiling, and tore up that ugly fuckin' floor. Also refinished (sand/stain/poly) the skylights, hung some blinds and cleaned up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just waiting on my carpeting now, but it's going to be over a week until it's installed. Argh! :mad:

Also edited the first post to include a couple pics of the night I started, so you can see what I had to work with (kinda, shitty pics but hey..)

6. Chris

One last touch for today. Time for some beers!

[​IMG]

7. Chris

^^ That's a mirror in the middle, not a piece of plywood. ;)

(had to mention it, someone asked)

8. Goliath

Goliath Contributor

Looking good dude!

9. Chris

Update: Carpet was backordered, so I had to order it from somewhere else. :mad: Hopefully it'll be in this week, then I can start moving stuff in there. Been running cables like a madman lately, and have an electrician coming up to add in some new grounded plugs and breakers. I also tore out the existing lighting and put in some sleek black tracklighting. It's off of a different breaker than the wall plugs, and my thinking is that anything that's less of a draw off of the recording gear = good.

Firewire interface is on the way, and my dedicated Fruityloops box is all built and ready to go (probably not really necessary, but I had the machine and anything that will lighten Sonar's load is a good thing imho). The immediate downside is that I only have an LCD (no-hum!) monitor for the Sonar rig, so the FL box is going to have a 17" CRT for now. Until I can grab another LCD, I'll just be unplugging it when laying down any amplified sources that might pick up hum from it.

For starters it looks like I'll be able to do 2 in 2 out at once, with 3 monitored sources (2x headphones and a the actual monitors).

Today's task: Find a GNX and a cardiod mic.
    Weekend: Finish up refitting the closet (Refit = rip out everything), soundproofing it, ordering up some cv foam for the walls, mounting brackets for the mic and cabling inside, a lighted fan in the ceiling (heh, it's going to be like a foam tanning booth!) and start on a door for it. :)

10. Chris

Carpet's in!

That black line on the rug isn't a flaw in the rug, it's just the shadow of the miniblind twisty-stick thing. ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Vince

Vince Contributor

Looks very very nice!!!

Only thing that looks a little odd IMO is that you have very sharp corners (where the walls meet) that it looks like you're leaving exposed. Are you sure you're not going to put a pad, flat panel, or rounded area in there instead of all the right angles and sharp angles?

I understand if you're ommitting thse things, tuning acoustics in a small room can be a nightmare!

12. Chris

Depends really. Most of my instrument (aside from the odd mic'd acoustic, which is rare for me) gear is directly digital anyways, so the only immediate thing I'll be deadening is the closet/vocal booth.

I do want the room acoustically good for mixing down though, and I'll certainly be hitting you all up for advice once I get to that point.

13. sararose

sararose w3rd.

dude, it's looking totally hot! I love the color themes... very nice ;)
    we all need to make a roadtrip and have a group jam at Chris's when it's all done :hbang:

14. Chris

Hell yes. :D

15. Chris

Slapped up some corner molding. The molding sticking out down the bottom is intentional - there's going to be a phone/data jack behind it, and since I have to fish the wire through the wall, I don't want someone bootin' it off. :D

[​IMG]

16. Josh

Josh Guest

Dude that's lookin' GREAT! Nice work! :agreed:

17. Chris

Mini update:

Wired up the data and phone jacks today, added a new threshold (yippee-doo), and ripped out the closet. It's hard to get a pic of, so pretend you can see an empty closet-shell in this pic. Foam's on the way, 36 tiles, should be more than enough. Having a pseudo vocal booth will do two things:

1. Make my neighbors happy.
    2. Make me happy, since as Josh can tell you, when I sing I make everyone leave the room. I hate being looked at!

Also laid down the key to any good studio: A giant power strip. :D

Gonna move my computer shit in there now, so hopefully my next post will have some new pics.

To do: Install the damn track dimmer, since I keep slacking on it. Cable up the room, find a good spot for monitors, pick up a cardiod and a stand, install a fan in the top of the closet/vocalbooth.. Aw hell, there's a lot to do still. I can't wait to fuggin' get recording!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Chris

And the first round of gear is in!

The lamp on the desk is temporary until I get the dimmer squared away for the track lighting. As such, the pics do the ambient light in here no justice at all. It's absolutely AWESOME. Now that there's stuff in here, it's such a warm, relaxing room and I think that once the lighting is squared away it'll really be a great place to relax and lay down some tracks.

Still a ways to go, waiting on gear to arrive, but the basic stuff's in and I'm absolutely thrilled at how it's coming along. :D

The main console:
    (Yeah yeah, it's a desk, but it's a studio dammit, and I can call it a console if I want to! ;) )

[​IMG]

The left side:

[​IMG]

The right side:

[​IMG]

The very, very appreciated "Right Now Side".

[​IMG]

:D

19. Chris

Also of note: Everything's run into two separate UPS's, and I ditched my second monitor which was a CRT, so the only screen in here is LCD. No hum = happiness. :)

20. Josh

Josh Guest

That looks phriggin' great dood!