My proposed (rough idea) mixing chain, suggestions please:

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Chris, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

So as I've said, the 2101 is my preamp, and through my cabs I absolutely love it. Unfortunately after trial, error, more trial, more error, directs, mono, stereo, mics, mic preamps, compressors, voodoo, ancient indian tone prayers and more - I can't get it to sound like anything other than bottled ass when I try to get it recorded.

I live in an apartment, so cranking and micing really isn't viable. I worked with Josh on my tune Midwinter (on my music page) and am pretty happy with how the tone of the backline came out. The solos, meh, but I was using someone else's gear in someone else's house on a unit I didn't know, so the last thing I wanted to do was spend 3 hours tweaking all of his gear to nail my exact tone.

That said, we used a GNX3, and since I love the straight dirty tone and am moderately happy with the solo tone on Midwinter, I'm pretty sure that if I fuck with it a bit I can get "my solo tone" out of it as well as the stomping heavy rhythm crunch that we already got with it. Thus, I'm buying a GNX3.

So my setup, guitar wise, is going to look like:

GNX3 -> USB Audiophile 2/2 -> PowerPro -> Sonar

The powerpro's basically a headphone amp and allows for 4 outs. (Josh can correct me where I'm wrong here). I have a DBX compressor that I really like, and I plan on running that outboard, so that once I have a track down I can run it out, compress it, and then run it back in.

Since the GNX3 is small, USB and digital, I'm pretty sure that with some patience I can get it to a point where I can come in, hit record and just play without spending time fucking with tone for so long the vibe goes away.

On the drum side, I have a PMA-5, which I'll just run into the powerplay for drums, as well as a Behringer dualfex "expander". I've no idea what an expander is supposed to actually do, but I do know that the PMA sounds a lot more badass through it with a little tweaking, and it makes me happy. :)

So that being said, what, if anything, do you think I should change? I can't afford a MOTU, so 2/2 is basically as far as I can go and for about $150, the Audiophile is pretty easily ebay-able and upgradable if I get to the point where it limits me. My Preamp/Processor is a tone I'm happy with, and I have an inline compressor for outboard mixing. (I hope that's the right term).

Other than a solid set of monitors - what would you buy next? I'd also like a small mixing board in the mix somewhere, maybe an 8 channel or so, for playback and general control of sources. (Hey, my computer is also used for video games ya know!) :D

I'd like to keep it relatively inexpensive, since I'm saving for a house, a set of v-drums, and a Swan at the same time, so components in the sub-$500 range are what I'm looking to get.

One of the first non-guitar line things I'll need is a decent cardioid mic and a means to record it smoothly, so suggestions there would be helpful as well. :)

- CQ

2. Josh

Josh Guest

Don't run any inputs through the PowerPlay...that should distribute your outputs for monitoring. :)

3. Chris

Did we use the GNX for my vocals on For You?

4. Josh

Josh Guest

Nope, that was dry and all processing was done in Sonar.

5. Chris

No shit? I would have sworn I had reverb in my headphones, aye? Is that the benefit of being able to run the track out and back in, or am I way off the mark?

If all I need is an audiobuddy and a mic for that vocal tone, I'll be a happy guy. :D

6. Josh

Josh Guest

The first few nights I think I ran it through the 2112 (I still had one at that point). In Sonar though, you can live monitor effects....which is what we did on the final cut if you had reverb...because it was the mic, to the audiobuddy, to the compressor, to the soundcard.

Everything beyond that was just effects in Sonar. :D