My own 1 hour Test.

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Fiction, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

Hey guys, just another tune;

Orange by Zackyyyy on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

This one was a riff I wrote about a year ago (The starting riff) and have never been able to fit anything to it, so today I sat down and set myself an hour to come up with something and this is it. Yet again, my drums are too loud and there's no bass :lol: But I feel like i'm getting better at hearing ugly frequencies floating around in the guitars. The playing is a bit meh, especially those slides. I'm also liking how over the past year I've started to get my own signature sound of writing, it makes me feel all warm inside :wub:

Any critisicm guys?

I'm going to try do atleast 1 of these a week, just to force myself to record something, and to sort of follow how I progress. Hopefully (I know i've said this for the last 4 Recording studio threads) I'll get a bass soon, and turn down the damn drums :lol:

Anyways, enjoy!

Pedrojoca likes this.
  2. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

Bmp

Edit: Lol, Drunken Bumps at 4 A.M

3. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

Really cool musically man.

Mix-wise, it's hollow. I'd look at the attack settings on your snare compressor(s) and cut some low mid stuff out. That will really make it cut more. Bass would definitely help this a lot...

I dig. :yesway:

Fiction likes this.
  4. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

Bump, of the final variety.

Edit: just listened again, it sounded so much better just after finishing it haha, guess my ears were a tad stale. Any tips in how to make a kick sound less clicky and painful to ears haha, also the snare I want a bit more "crack", but any of the frequencies I boost around the high mids/highs section gives it an ugly hiss.. Would tweaking compression help or maybe cut some lower freq to clear it up a bit and allow the snap to come through? Halp, also the guitars aren't as good as they sounded before :(

5. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

Both of those can be helped by trimming fat from lower mid frequencies. :)