My indecisiveness is killing me

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by BMO, Oct 20, 2018.

1. BMO

BMO Geetarist

Yo! I know we have a VS thread but I feel that thread takes a while so thought I'd make my own post. I ordered a custom ESP LP copy that unfortunately got sold from under me and I was refunded. I've also decided buying from Japan is too much of a hassle for my needs currently. However, after some testing necks and body shapes in person I made a decision on a few models I'd like to own and wondered others' opinions on em. What I got down on the GAS list are

Fender Jim Root Jazzmaster

USA Charvel (or even a used custom shop)

USA Schecter

ESP Eclipse

OR as a last option but while I do want a high tier built guitar instead of a plain old workhorse, I COULD get a Jim Root Tele AND a MiK schecter prototype as a sort of 2 for 1 thing

Opinions? Thoughts? Wisdom? Fun facts? Limericks? All are welcome if helpful. Thanks!

2. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

All of those guitars are fine.

But USA schecter/charvel - what body style? Given you've got a JM and a singlecut on the list...

3. BMO

BMO Geetarist

For Schecter I’d say either hollywood classic or avenger. With Charvel I can go for either strat or tele shape, but lean more towards tele.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

Personally I'd go schecter or ESP, since I've played some of their higher end stuff and was super impressed (especially by ESP EII guitars, those are awesome for the price).

BMO and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  5. BMO

BMO Geetarist

I’d definitely be getting their higher end stuff for sure. For Schecter I was looking at the avengers for sale at DrumCityGuitarland, and ESP I was looking at a 4 knob full thickness Eclipse or an ESP logo Horizon. While EII is on par with them quality wise, I refuse to buy a branch of a brand that doesn’t have their logo on the headstock. It just (in my own personal opinion) to me seems like they don’t trust the craftsmanship enough to slap their own name on boldly and proudly.

6. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Sounds like you have GAS. Money burning a hole in your pocket and a desire to buy something, without any sort of clue what you need. You've named a bunch of guitars which are pretty different to each other in pretty critical ways.

The JR Jazzmaster is an ok guitar. The neck is C shape. 22 frets. EMGs. 25.5 scale length. It has a flat Fender-style bridge, similar to hipshot. I didn't like the sound of it - very dark.

Whereas an ESP Eclipse (assuming ESP original) is probably about 3-4x the price of the Jim Root. It also has a tune-o-matic bridge, 24.75 inch scale, 24 frets. It's hard to find a more different guitar, lol.

If you want a solid, versatile guitar to absolutely rock out on, I'd recommend an ESP E-ii Horizon. They aren't as expensive as full-on ESP Original series, but the quality is there. They are really comfortable guitars, versatile, and sound great.

7. budda

Since you dont know, do this:

Used mij charvel so cal
    Used ltd H1000
    Used LtD EC1000
    Used schecter MiK strat.

It will come out to the cost of one on your list, or less.

Only now you can spend a ton of time narrowing down which one you like best. Maybe it takes a year -thats ok. Then you sell them all and get the nice version of the one you like.

As was stated, your list is all over the place. Those guitars arent similar. No one can say "oh well this one" because they are the same level of quality +/- a little bit. You gotta pick.

BMO likes this.
  8. BMO

BMO Geetarist

Essentially my criteria going into my next guitar was a comfortable but somewhat fast neck, has active circuitry or can be rewired for such, has been proven to be a good metal guitar, and is comfortable to me in body shape and bridge. The Jim Root, schecter avengers I looked at (and have tried schecters similar), Charvels and Eclipses I've all tried in person have suited my needs perfectly. I was just curious what anyone thought of either of these. Pricewise though, I'd be going used for the Eclipse, as I see many on sale well under 2k with ESP logo, as well as used for the Schecter. Plus as I have stated before, I am not a fan of the EII series. I understand fully the quality is there, but I would like to own a guitar that either the brand currently or has previously and proudly placed their actual logo on the headstock. It's my own opinion and I am sure I am wrong, however it's just my opinion going into that matter. Don't think I'm shooting you down at all or any of your opinions, I just personally have a disdain for the EII series for that reason. Plus, while all these guitars are different on paper, in my hands they all get the same job done that I seek.

9. budda

Grab a used horizon then.

USMarine75 likes this.
  10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

you can score older ESP standards/customs for less than a new EII a lot of times.

11. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Eclipse I is always the right answer.

Dineley and USMarine75 like this.
  12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Why not take elements of all of them that you like and make your own from scratch using a kit build?.

More personal, more rewarding and then more likely you will bond with it and not regret "choosing one of the other" choices once you have one.

13. budda

All good, except that last bit. Tastes change and what you like now may change in 5 years (maybe less, maybe more). That's why "find me the best possible amp/guitar!" threads are pointless. Forums can help you find good gear that suits needs right now.

That's part of why I suggested buying good used guitars, and spending as much time as needed until you know which one you want the nicer version of.

It has the added bonus of him getting 4 guitars :yesway:

14. silverabyss

silverabyss

I see those sometimes on Reverb, both ESP and LTDs but I've never seen an LTD higher than a 400 series, did that version of Eclipse predate the 1000 series designation?

Liked my EC1K but having no forearm contour kind of sucked :ugh:

15. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I believe they did. The Eclipse I was pulled from North America around 2001. It remained in the rest of the world though.

The LTD Deluxe came out around 2003/2004. So it missed it by a few years.

silverabyss likes this.
  16. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Well, yes, to be totally honest it's a silly reason! ESP do put their "actual" logo on it. It's called E-ii, and at this point everybody knows what that is. They do also put ESP on the 12th fret, and "made in Japan" on the back which LTDs don't have. If you want an ESP, then you pay premium prices for it. In my opinion, I'd rather they did this than Jackson/Ibanez slapping their name onto hundreds of different £150 POS import guitars.

In which case, just find a used ESP Horizon or MI/MII for a similar price. That gets you the 25.5 inch scale, fast neck and versatility. Eclipse can also work, if you like single cuts.

17. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

IMO a good USA Charvel is better and faster playing than an ESP. From the radius to the bridge (assuming you're comparing to a TOM)

There is a 2005 Reissue on Reverb right now for about $1k and that is well worth every penny IMO.

Ive never played a USA Schecter but I really really want to.

18. BMO

BMO Geetarist

That reissue does seem quite nice and I do love the pointy headstock, but that color is just a huge turnoff for me as well as that big dent on the body. I prefer black or dark colors like purple myself, and I got bad OCD so that dent would frustrate the hell out of me. Don’t wanna sound super picky, just I’m a simple man when it comes to color and a complicated man when it comes to condition of a used guitar.

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  19. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

That is one of the worst colors I have ever seen, I have to admit haha.

They play so good though.

BMO likes this.
  20. BMO

BMO Geetarist

For sure lol! If it didn't have that huge dent and I trusted my ability to get it done, I'd just vinyl wrap the body. But alas, big dent and impatient shaky hands hahaha!