My first seven string, Agile, Carvin, or other?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Josh Geohagan, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Josh Geohagan

Josh Geohagan SS.org Regular

I'm looking to join the sevenstring legion, and I have a few questions regarding the purchase of my first sevenstring.

I am aware that the Winter NAMM is arriving relatively soon, and that is really what's holding me off on making the decision to buy one now. What can I expect to see from guitar companies in regards to sevens? Should I wait to see what will be arriving?

I have seen around the forums here that people absolutely love Agile. I can understand why with the options offered with such low prices, but I was curious of the quality of the guitars, and if they genuinely feel like a quality guitar.

I have also been extremely curious of the Carvin DC727, and I have heard great things about it, but I have noticed that Carvin has been some new stuff to their options concerning this model, and I was wondering how much more is expected to come within the following year in regards to sevenstrings.

Thank you if you took the time to read my post, and thank you in advance for any advice, tips, or answers you are willing to give.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Go Carvin if you have the money. The quality of materials and craftsmanship on the Carvin is EXTREMELY better than those on the Agile. Agiles are fantastic guitars for the money, and really good in general, while Carvin are AMAZING for the money, and wonderful guitars at any price point.

3. zeal0us

zeal0us InstruMentalHead

^ Wisdom at its finest!

:fawk:

4. Empryrean

Empryrean Undecided forever

you can't fight that logic:lol:

zeal0us likes this.
  5. Josh Geohagan

Has there been any news of Carvin getting more involved with producing more models of sevenstrings? I know that they offer almost double the options with their standard guitars, and I was wondering if some of the things they offer will later be available for their sevenstring models.

Would it be a good idea to wait for NAMM to pass so I a better perspective of my options? I have no problem with waiting.

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

There haven't been very many rumors of 7-string option for 10' on the Carvin forum.

What in particular did you want them to offer on the 7s, that they don't already do? Just curious.

7. lurgar

lurgar SS.org Regular

Just note that Carvin's pickups are smaller than a "normal" sized passive 7. Some have had luck with sanding down the plastic baseplates of Dimarzio pickups to get them to fit in the stock Carvin routes, but I didn't have that luck and had to have it enlarged by a pro. That doesn't mean I'm unhappy with the guitar, it just is something I wish they would at least look into more.

8. Koshchei

Koshchei Banned

I recommend the Carvin if you can swing it. PS. SS frets are really nice :)

9. Josh Geohagan

They offer different fretboard radii for their standard guitars, different headstocks, more body shapes, just things like that.

10. reptillion

reptillion SS.org Regular

27 inch scale please

11. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man Contributor

Carvins are so good for the money that its almost unbelievable.

12. kmanick

kmanick Contributor

the Carvin 7's are very nice , the Loomis is alos very nice.
    I'd wait for NAMM to see what jackson comes out with and go from there.
    If they play their cards right I have a feeling that a lot of jackson 7's are going to be sold

13. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man Contributor

This is seriously the ONLY issue I have with Carvin... if they had normal pickup routes, I'd still own a few of them.

14. Josh Geohagan

Yeah, I was hoping that Jackson would put out some nice sevens. I'm pretty excited about this, because my soloist is one of my favorite guitars. I have already heard about the soloist models, but I am pretty much sick of Rosewood. I am really hoping that they come out with a RR7 with an ebony/maple board.

15. HaloHat

HaloHat 7 string Baritones

For Real!

26.5"-27.5", get me in there somewhere Carvin please, way over due on this. On six and seven string Carvins as an option.

I hate to say it but it does not appear Carvin is going to do any thing new on 7 strings? They have had the same model with two p-u and control choices for what now, 10 years? This while the 7 string market has grown without question. A good example in the interest is this forum! SS.org always has LOTS of people here and a lot of world wide membership.

Why Carvin does not go after this market a little more aggressively I don't know? Ultra V 7 string, X220 7 string, CT, CS and more would all be awesome especially given Carvins options. What worries me the most is the Carvin employee [in a position to know] who told me Carvin will "NEVER" offer a baritone scale guitar. But that person is not a Kiesel family member so there is always hope someone in the family will see the light or take the lead. I hope.

Also, +1 on the Loomis. I have had mine since the first were released and it is a great guitar, especially for the money. Being that it was one of the first production guitars, there was an issue with the frets. Both DCGL and Schecter took care of the problem super fast and without any runaround. Excellent customer service the only time I needed it. No problem with the guitar since.