My first extended range guitar -- 7 string or 8 string? Multi-scale or not?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by pfizer, Oct 23, 2018.

1. pfizer

pfizer SS.org Regular

So, I think I'm finally ready to buy my first extended-range guitar.

I'm by no means bored with my six-string electrics but a lot of the songs I've been wanting to learn (Deftones, Meshuggah, Trivium, Periphery, Korn) all pretty much require an extended range instrument to pull off, at least without changing tunings or string gauges everytime.

My only question is, do I go with an 8-string or a 7-string first? I know some people who say to get an 8-string right off the bat and I can kind of see their point with being able to play both 7-string and 8-string songs with just one guitar.

Any benefits to getting a multi-scale instrument as my first?

I also have a budget of about 1000 bucks, and don't really plan on any gigging as of now. I prefer fixed bridge guitars and passive pickups.

2. Djep

Djep SS.org Regular

Standard scale is fine, but I just bought hellraiser c-8 hybrid before multiscales started to come.
    I would go with multiscale if buying a new guitar.
    They just usually doesn't include eyecandy.
    8-string multiscale :agreed: when kids grow I'm gonna get custom 28"-24,75" multiscale flying-v 8 a combination of my fav guitars.

At first hellraiser c-7 felt huge but it grow on me within a week. The 8 was way easier later.

pfizer likes this.
  3. Aliascent

Aliascent SS.org Regular

A 8 string will indeed allow you to play 7 string stuff. However, try to get your hands on some 8 string guitars (all brands) and play them, because you may find yourself absolutely unable to deal with the width of a 8 string neck.

That definitely was the case for me, and after going through several 8 strings, including Schecters, Jacksons and Ibanezes, I realized I just couldn't cope with the necks and baritone and 7s were better suited to me.

Tl;Dr : 8 string if it feels good for you, 7 otherwise.

Multiscale is another topic, the added tension on the lows / decreased on the high does feel good, its really easy to adapt to and it'll potentially save you from headaches trying to balance string tension on a erg, especially if you only have access to pre made string sets. Drawback : it may be a bit harder to swap hardware.

Hope that helps a bit.

pfizer and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  4. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

In your situation I'd get an 8 string because like you said you can play 7 string songs on an 8 string but the other way round is a bit difficult.
    Multi-scale is cool but for me other features such as stainless steel frets are more important first.

pfizer likes this.
  5. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

I'm going to go against the grain here a little and recommend a 7.
    An 8, while technically containing a 7, will fundamentally play differently. The neck is different, even if you're just playing the high 7 it will sit in your hand different. The way you attack the B string will differ from the way you would on an actual 7. The substantial jump in neck size could potentially cause wrist damage if you don't adapt your technique properly, etc. I think going from 7 to 8 will leave you better equipped and more comfortable all around.

As for multiscale, I recently drank the multiscale kool-aid and I absolutely love it. I'm not sure though if I would recommend jumping on it for your first ERG.
    Maybe it's my background in computer science, but I try to only introduce one variable at a time until I know everything works before introducing another. If you buy a FF7 and you hate it, what do you know? Do you hate it because it's a 7? Do you hate it because it's got fanned frets? Or do you just hate the FF7 combo? It's difficult to tell, and that could potentially block off some future gear purchases down the road that you would have otherwise enjoyed.

I would stay stick with a straight scale 7 and go from there. Especially at that price point, $1,000 can get you a really good straight scale 7. Start introducing multiscale...and you're rolling the dice a little bit more (although I'm sure you'd get a great axe still).

pfizer likes this.
  6. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

it depends on what songs you wanna learn. If 90% of the songs you wanna learn are 7 string songs (or de-tuned 6 strings) then dont jump on an 8

as for multisclae, I got no problem at all when I got mine first. Couple of minutes to adapt and done, now I love my extra tension

pfizer and Aliascent like this.
  7. I play music

You assume that he can make such a purchase every once in a while which might or might not be the case.
    I would even disagree with your advice, sounds like a waste of money to me. And you know, some people change even from guitar to bass (which is quite a substantial difference) without anything in between. Going from a 6 string to a multi-scale 7 for example really is not such a drastic step.

pfizer likes this.
  8. Ordacleaphobia

Guitars have resale value.

9. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

To me 7-string is a good compromise for extended range. I find 8-string far harder to integrate into my playing, still figuring it out. I would go multiscale simply because they feel better to play and you have to mess with sound and string gauges less to get it feeling and sounding right.

pfizer likes this.
  10. pfizer

pfizer SS.org Regular

Thanks so much for the detailed responses people!

Right now, yes, I'm actually deciding on getting an extended range guitar, something which I have zero experience with, or one of the new Charvel DK24 models because I need a 24-fret guitar with a non-locking trem and my current favorite guitar is a Charvel HT San Dimas model. I don't really have a ton of money to spend so it's one or the other for now.

As of right now though, my current choices for a 7-string are either the Keith Merrow Schecters or the upcoming fanned-fret Schecter Reaper models; the KM7-MKIIs are very nicely-specced with SS frets and Seymour Duncan pickups but my concern is that the 26.5 scale might be a little difficult to adjust to. The Reaper models are cheaper, with nickel frets and Schecter pickups but also have fanned frets which might make the adjustment easier.

Any thoughts and advice would be great!

11. I play music

I don't really notice a difference between 25.5 and 26.5, so I wouldn't be worried about this.

If you like the Keith Merrow but want multiscale, I recommend you to look at the Schecter C-7 SLS Elite Multiscale. In my country at least it costs less than the KM7-II and I think it has basically all the cool features of a KM plus multiscale.

12. Lasik124

Lasik124 SS.org Regular

The KM7's seem like good choices typically, I owned one and enjoyed it.

The 26.5 isn't difficult to adjust to, it is not easy to notice. With that I still do prefer the 25.5 if I had a choice.

It can make your tone and feel of the instrument different in a way you may like or dislike as well. Granted you can tweak your gauge of string or try a hybrid gauge to find the right feel for you.

Also I'm coming to this thread late, but I'm another vote for 7. 8 strings hurt my wrist! 7 is low enough for me anyway.

13. Annonnymous

Annonnymous SS.org Regular

Get a 26.5 or 27 inch scale 7 and drop it to whatever you want. Unless you want to play Wonderwall while chugging lol. It won't be perfect but I'd definitely do that instead of getting an 8 string, I just can't play those things. Going from 6 to 7 was easy, and while I never bought an 8, every one that I tried was like a completely different instrument. I cannot adapt to those things.

pfizer likes this.
  14. Ordacleaphobia

I wouldn't worry about the scale length, I went from 25.5" to 27" when I bought my first 8 string and I was used to it within a day or two.
    I'd go for the KMII. Those have a great reputation and as a result, solid resale value. The pickups in there are also night and day compared to the Schecter stock pickups and are in fact what convinced me many years ago that pickups actually matter :lol:

pfizer likes this.
  15. I play music

Schecter pickups are actually very good imo, at least the ones in the Banshee Elite.

pfizer likes this.
  16. Annonnymous

Annonnymous SS.org Regular

The pickups on my Omen 7 were the shittiest pickups I've ever heard/played.

17. I play music

Yep I don't doubt that, totally different pickups than the Banshee Elite pickups.

Annonnymous likes this.