My Favorite Kemper Profiles

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by AntonioPetrole, Oct 5, 2017.

1. AntonioPetrole

AntonioPetrole SS.org Regular

Hey all,

I decided to put together a video of my favorite Kemper profiles I've found so far for recording. I hope you find something cool/new from the ones I demo'd!

Drezik27 and Masoo2 like this.
  2. Drezik27

Drezik27 SS.org Regular

Love it, always on the lookout for new profiles.

What's your opinion on the Brian Hood pack in general? I'm interested in the pack but everything I've tried from STL Tones hasn't been good, in fact I'd say it's been pretty awful actually. (Free pack and the Protone EVH 5150 III pack)

3. AntonioPetrole

Hey man. I agree that a lot of kemper packs out there are a bit disappointing. Most of them have way to many profiles at every mic position imaginable and it muddies the waters. With that being said, I really like the brian hood pack right now. The 5150 tone (first in the video) is probably my favorite 5150 profile I've found. It's super clear, has good weight to it, and there's barely any harsh frequencies.

I like the Will Putney pack as well, however it has too many options and his guitar tones usually aren't super flattering solo'd (but he makes them sound amazing in a mix). So I'd say those definitely require a bit more elbow grease.

Drezik27 likes this.
  4. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Do you find that the Putney pack really puts you in the ballpark of the tones being copied by the presets?

That's one of the things that has always put me off about the Kemper being used to copy whole tones rather than just amps+cabs. Like I'd love to be able to nail the Counterparts, Knocked Loose, Thy Art Is Murder, or whatever else Putney tone (did he even make a profile for Reflections or Trade Wind?), but does it actually work in practice?

5. AntonioPetrole

Hey man. Honestly I think it depends. I think the Desolation (Dear Desolation profile) profile is pretty much in the ballpark of what that tone is in that record. I think the thing with Putney though is that he's an absolute wizard when it comes to mixing. Even with his guitar tones, he sums like 9 different amps/mic setups to one signal that ends up in his DAW. Usually his tones aren't ultra flattering when you hear them by themselves, but the way he delivers the rest of the elements (his drums sound like a bomb hitting a metal trash can in the best of possible ways) really nails it down. With that being said, the Putney pack has something like 100 profiles in it when in reality all we want would be like 15-20 (at least in my opinion).

I'm really digging the Brian Hood pack at the moment. Will is hands down my favorite producer/engineer, however i just don't feel like I can do much with most of the profiles in his pack. Again that could be limited to my small amount of experience but it's an opinion regardless. I hope this answers your question!