My cheap AKG headphones sound better than Audio Technica ATH M50, so...

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Álvaro QB, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Álvaro QB

Álvaro QB SS.org Regular

Hi!
    I've been using my Audio Technica ATHM50 as my main pair of headphones for some years, but this week I've been using my old AKG K512 MKII and I'm so shocked how different the sound feels.

EQ-wise, the AKG seem to me way more scooped, which I guess is not a good or bad thing, just a matter of taste... but when recording guitars and mixing, which one should I trust? When I got a guitar tone that sounds great in the AKG, it sounds really muffled and dull on M50, and when I got something that sounds good on the M50 it sounds fizzy on the AKG.

Despite the differences in EQ, I've realized that the M50 sound really "uni-dimensional" in comparison with the AKG... I don't know how to describe it and I don't know why (maybe the transients more pronounced?). When I play guitar through the Kemper with headphones, with the AKG it feels way closer to playing a real amp. And when listening to music it sounds more "natural" and spacey to me with them.

What drive me nuts is that the AKG cost me around 1/4 than the Audio Technica, won't the Audio Technica should sound better? :facepalm: I definitely will keep using the AKG from now since I enjoy them more, but I'm worried that if should trust them when mixing a song... I'm not a professional and I don't need optimal results, but if I record a song and show I don't want it to sound muffled and dull on other people gear because I was using some far from hi-fi headphones (I have not decent studio monitors nor I am planning to buy them).

Do you suggest me some budget headphones (<100 EUR or so) that are significantly better than those two?

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

AKG k240 are pretty damn good headphones, plus they seem to be pretty neutral sounding.

3. Álvaro QB

Álvaro QB SS.org Regular

Thank you!

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I concur. A couple years ago, I picked up 5 or 6 different pair of budget headphones and those were a cut above the rest.

5. shnizzle

shnizzle johnny

when it´s a matter of taste, just use what you know or prefer. if you want to keep using the AKG´s from now on, get to know their sound by listening to a lot of music with them. then you´ll get a feel for what your guitar tones and mix need to sound like on those. that´s why using reference tracks is so important.

6. cw2908

cw2908 SS.org Regular

My cheap computer speakers that look like they're from the 90s sound better especially at volume than my home audio set up .

7. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

I'm a big fan of the Sony MDR-7506's. Tried out many more, but I keep going back to em.

8. Malkav

Malkav Washing your dishes.

AKG K240 owner here and yeah they are surprising for the money, super pleased with mine :)

9. auntyethel

auntyethel Skommeling

Also have the K240s, they are amazing for the price and beyond. Super comfortable as well!

10. NickS

NickS Carvinite

I've had a pair of those for a couple years, and have tried a few others, but the Sonys have a very good neutral sound and don't seem to "color" the signal much at all. Which I think is very important in
    looking for a good studio/recording set of headphones.

11. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

I think that's why I prefer them so much. I try other headphones and certain frequencies always sound kinda 'off' after using the Sony's. Either they are just that good or my ears have just adjusted to preferring the sound over the years, but I have yet to demo another pair of cans I like any better.

12. NickS

NickS Carvinite

I bought mine after doing a little research and talking to a few studio/gear nerds, and they say that this set is one of the gold standards in the kinda entry level tier of studio quality headphones.

13. Drezik27

Drezik27 SS.org Regular

I'm in the AKG K240 army as well...great headphones. I use them to mostly through my Axe FX and to mix late at night. The difference between these and my studio monitors is almost negligible.

14. will_shred

will_shred not that good.

I'll just chime in and say that for mixing the M50's are really disappointing. The mids are definitely scooped, and the low end is boosted. I wouldn't trust them for mixing, though they might be nice for listening. I have no idea about the AKG, my main cans are Focal Spirit Pros. I got my dad the M50 for his birthday, and compared them side by side to my Focals.

15. BlasphemyMadeFlesh

BlasphemyMadeFlesh Buried in the mix

I like AKG equipment as well, their microphones are incredible.
    What do you guys think of the Sennheiser HD 280 PRO studio headphones? I recently got a pair and am blown away by the sound quality. But I never owned a pair of "pro-headphones before" besides an Audio Technica ATH-T22, which I got for free in some kind of package deal.

16. coffeeflush

coffeeflush SS.org Regular

MH 50 are over rated garbage for the price that you pay for them.
    Lot of better pairs for cheaper out there, both for mixing and listening

Their build quality is impressive though