My band's first "real" recordings (raw & unmixed) FFO: If Fugazi liked grind

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by broj15, Jul 6, 2016.

1. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

https://soundcloud.com/user-994285562/sets/handsaw-demo

So we impulsively decided to do some live recordings at practice the other night. Here's all the info on the recording method:

Gear:
    Zoom R24
    SM57 -x2 (guitar)
    SM58 - (vocals)
    Audix drum mic's (cant remember which model. 1 snare, 1 kick, 2 overhead condensers. Bought them on sale for ~$250 iirc. so they're meh)
    Bass was DI'd (ampeg portaflex head)

Enviorment:
    Our practice space. Concrete floors, painted plywood walls/ceiling, approximately 25' x 15'. Not ideal for recording.

Mixing:
    None. Our vocalist may have adjusted the vocal levels to keep them at a relatively consistent volume (volume of the spoken word sections was lower then the screams obviously).

Like I said, this was all recorded live, 2 takes per song. We threw these together because we didn't have any recordings at all and were tired of people asking us what we sounded like. Also the guitars sound like shit... We tried messing around with EQ and mic placement for a couple hours and still couldn't come up with anything close to my live tone (if someones got a good resource for micing guitars that would be great).

If y'all got time give it a listen.

silverabyss likes this.
  2. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I dig this

3. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

^^^ Thanks! We've been going at it for about a year and half and are kinda going through a transition phase as far as our sound goes so any input is appreciated.

4. cwhitey2

You're welcome!

My 'band' is in the same situation :wallbash:

We really don't have a set style and we keep writing songs in different styles :lol: Our sounds is all over the place.

5. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

^^^ nothing wrong with that. While we're all pretty strongly rooted in hardcore/post harcore/screamo our collective taste ranges from post rock, slowcore, shoegaze, noise, grind/PV, metalcore, etc. We just try and mix all our influences together but still try and sound like "us".

6. cwhitey2

Same boat here!

Everything from black metal to sludge to post metal to ambient noise :lol:

7. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

^^^ All things are great separately and can only get better when combined :lol:. DO IT!

8. cwhitey2

Im listening to your ep again and I must say it reminds me of Fear Before the March of Flames...which I think is a good thing!

9. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

^^^I can definitely see where you could make that comparison. Though they aren't a band I listen to on the regular but I do like their first 2 albums a lot.

Edit: And thanks again for the feedback. I know this kind of music doesn't get much love on here so I wasn't sure how this would go over.

10. silverabyss

silverabyss _(:3 」∠)_ Contributor

The riffs are really good

11. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

^^^Thanks for the feedback! I'm trying to get more technical with my writing. Working with jerkier rhythms/time sigs for the stop/start stuff, trying to incorporate more dissonant chords, and trying to use more of that loud/soft dynamic to make things more "explosive". These are our 3 newest songs but we're trying to keep progressing.

12. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

Listened to this when you first posted it and really dug it. I wish this kind of music got more attention here. Really the only feedback I can offer is that I'd love to hear a proper fully produced studio recording of it. I really like hearing the range of sounds and influences.

13. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

^^^Thanks for checking it out! I wish this style of music got more attention as well. I feel like early post-hardcore/screamo has that perfect mix technical songwriting (without sounding masturbatory) combined with the rawness and emotion of hardcore punk. Only community I've found online that caters to this stuff is CMHWAK and that place moves super slow.