My Bands Debut Album! (Black / Death / 7 string / DIY)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Sumsar, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Hi SSO

My band released our debut album last week, listen here:

Can also be found on bandcamp, spotify, itunes etc.

This has been almost 2½ years in the works, but now it is finally out, and I am pretty proud of it. Everything was done DIY, with myself being incharge of the production and mixing.

So now begins the whole promotion thing, which include spamming my music here :lol:

The idea of going DIY came about as we checked out the pricing of going into a studio, and we figured that for the same money we could buy most of the gear we needed and then just use the rehearsal room to record in.

I hope you guys like it and will give a bit of feedback :)

### Gear Used ###

I thought I would write out what gear we used since we did it ourselves so that others can get an idea for what you can do with cheaper gear.
    Not counting guitars, amps and drums I would say that we spend about 2000$ on gear and ofc a lot of hours learning how to record and mix.

The interface was a Presonus 1818vsl with 8 mic preamps expanded with a behringer ada8000 for 8 more preamps.

For drum mics we used an AKG session drum mic set, which is a collection of cheaper mics. We added a bounch of shure sm57, mostly brought used for about 50$.
    The drums are all real except the kick which is primarily samples we made ourselves of the actual drum kit used.
    The drumset itself is a pearl vision as far as I know, which is not the cheapest but definatly not the most expensive kit you can get.

Vocals was done with a SE electronics 2200a condenser which I grapped used for about 100$.

The guitars was a Jackson SLAT3-7 with a duncan distortion 7 and a Ibanez rg1527 with a dimarzio xn2-7, both reamped through a Engl Powerball mk1 into a old peavey 5150 cab with an mxr tubescreamer in front miced up with an sm57.
    Both tuned a half step up to C F Bb etc. This came about since in a previous band I played with another guitarist who played 6 strings tuned down to C :idea:

Bass was recorded direct and was a cheap jazz bass made fretless but played with a pick.

I mixed on a pair of Adam Ax3 monitors which I (you guessed it) got used for about 300 bucks.

I think thats about it, feel free to ask me questions about anything :lol:

FILTHnFEAR and BrailleDecibel like this.
  2. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Me like! The mix sounds great, but I only listened to the beginning so far.
    The part where the drums were blasting and one guitar was playing rhytm and the other some lead'ish thing sounded a bit off on headphones though - I would've doubled the rhytm and put the other guitar in the middle. But that was just a short little part, and if that's how it was intended, then I guess don't worry about it :)

3. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel K-U-N-fusion!

As Jason Mewes would say, this .... is the maaaaaaaaad notes! Fine craftsmanship, sir.

4. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Thanks guys, it means a lot to me/us.

@p0ke: If you are refering to intro of the first song, then yeah it is what is intended. One guitar tremolo picking chords on the top 5 strings and the other guitar tremolo picking and appeggiated version of that on the 6 and 7th string. I can see/hear what you mean. I think its because the guitars are panned 100% - I think in the future I will go will go with 80% panning just so there is a bit of both guitars in each ear on headphones.

5. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yeah, I figured that much :) I don't think it'll be noticeable listening with speakers anyway. With headphones it just feels like your whole head is out of balance when the other side has a very full sound and the other side only has the highs, if you know what I mean. It's just the intro though, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    I listened through the whole album a couple of times while working yesterday, and I have to say, it's quality stuff! Keep doing what you're doing :metal:

6. Mraz

Mraz SS.org Regular

Nice job! I like what I hear!! You guys are from Denmark, which has a good scene, planning to go around Europe anytime in the future?

I lover the part at 38min because it is so unusual to hear in black metal! .... yeah!

7. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

@p0ke: We will, next release is already in the making!

@Mraz: Thanks! At the time we are only a drummer and guitarist/vocalist (me), but the plan forward is to at least get a bass player and hopefully also an additional guitarist so we can start playing live, which we haven't done yet with this band. I don't know what the possibilities of going around Europe is, but we would very much like to :metal:

8. Mraz

Mraz SS.org Regular

Cool dude! Hah just eeplied to your PM and asked you that again, didn't see the reply here first