My backup guitar is ringing once notes are stoped.

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Erik DePriest, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Erik DePriest

Erik DePriest Member

Sorry for posting so much here but I am having an issue with a new guitar I just got. Its a no name Douglas straight from China as opposed to getting it from rondomusic. I know its not the best guitar but I wasnt expecting it to be this bad. The guitar has a floyd rose in it and part of me thinks maybe thats why? I put foam around the springs thinking that was the issue but it made no difference. Any help/info is appreciated thank you.

This is the guitar.
    30697991_2068323566744268_5847357859062349824_n.jpg

2. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Foam on the springs as you said, and foam on the strings behind the nut on the headstick. Stick a piece of tape or something across the strings right behind the nut.

3. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

If none of that works, it may be a resonant frequency thing.

4. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd certainly uncertain Contributor

Before even opening the thread I knew a floyd was involved.

Not to be a stickler but can you post pics of your springs? You say neither of the suggestions presented worked but I can clearly see one of them has not been implemented in the picture in the OP.

5. odibrom

odibrom .

Tighten EVERY screw and bolt you have there, from headstock to bridge. Those that secure the tuners' pegs are included as well as the nuts that secure them in place. chec the screws for the pickups' rings. Place some foam UNDER the pickups (you'll have to remove them first). Do even touch the truss rod a notch. Check for subtle string buzz due to action too low or bad setup. Search for high/low frets. Lower the pickups a bit...

On the floyd unit, also check all crews, nuts and bolts...

6. Erik DePriest

Erik DePriest Member

Sorry for the book!!

I think its the pickups guys. I have checked everything and these are no joke the WORST/CHEAPEST pickups I have ever seen. This guitar is straight from the factory in China. It is a Douglas before if gets sent to rondomusic. I knew what I was getting myself into just didnt know how bad it would be. I traded an actual douglas that was missing the nut locks and was all sorts of messed up so I didnt take a real loss here. I tried putting in my old pickup from my conklin but its a coil split pickup and it has three wires (red, white, bare) white and bare were just soldered to the bracket so I tried soldering red and the bare (ground) into this guitar and I couldnt get this pickup to work. Not sure what I did wrong or if its just the fact that this pickup has to be run with coilsplit IDK. I am giving potting this pickup a try and it is drying out right now going to see if that helps any. End result is going to be me having to get a new pickup. Its a brand new guitar and the guy I got it from sets them up and shit so its not too bad just a few frets buzz here and there but I will worry about that once I get a pickup in here that doesnt make this weird sound. I have an audio clip of what it sounds like but I can not put links in here and wasnt sure if I could just spllit up the link without breaking rules.

7. Erik DePriest

Erik DePriest Member

Upon doing more looking into it I had the pickup wired up right. I believe its the fact that this hunk of junk has ZERO shielding in it. No shielding paint, no metal tape shit ... nothing. Also, with the pickup from my conklin it doesnt seem to do that weird noise that I was getting anymore it just has buzz (not grounding buzz) but a weird buzz going on from interference.