My Apology

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by rgaRyan, Jun 8, 2012.

1. rgaRyan

rgaRyan Ermahgerd!

Not many of you probably will care, but I apologize for my somewhat rash behaviour a few weeks back regarding the comment I made about using a trialware program for free.

I was simply stating a fact and it was taken the wrong way by some. I'm sorry if I offended any of you. I did not intend for that to happen.

I hope you guys can understand this and give me a second chance. As a new guy to the forums and the site, I would really like to maintain my membership here and continue to learn more great things in the world of music.

Cheezy, maybe, but it's true. Thanks.

2. nojyeloot

nojyeloot SS.org Regular

Not familiar with the backstory, but takes a man to say this. :cheers:

rgaRyan likes this.
  3. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Apologizing about it is big of you. Kudos.

I assume that, by now, you realize how seriously most of us take piracy. This forum has many aspiring musicians, some of whom both want to get paid for their work and produce music that is legitimately good enough that they deserve to be compensated if they want to be.

It's the same way for software. A lot of people put their hard work into creating, updating and maintaining Reaper. They even recognized that most people take exception to intrusive DRM and thus didn't include any in the software. And then on top of that, to further earn people's good will, they offered it for an *extremely* reasonable price.

In a nutshell, they did pretty much everything they possible could to give people good value. To know that people were still willing to use the software beyond the trial without paying for it is a slap in the face to them.

In the future, please bear in mind that the price charged for a product has nothing to do with how much you intend to use it. I can't go out and drive a car off the lot without paying by telling the car salesman that I plan to simply leave it sitting in my front yard. It's about compensating the people who put their lives into creating that product so that they can continue to make it better, as well as produce more product for us to enjoy.

rgaRyan likes this.
  4. rgaRyan

rgaRyan Ermahgerd!

Thanks guys.

5. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

I too am not familiar with the back story but I can count the times I've seen somebody apologise online for anything on one hand.

6. rgaRyan

rgaRyan Ermahgerd!

I can't tell if that's a good thing or not... lol
    I just felt that I insulted a portion of the community and though I don't personally know any of you, I still felt the need to apologize for my actions.

7. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

It's bad that most people think they can be douchey wankers online.

It's good that you apologised for things.

8. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

I've appologised before, but I make sure and hide it within a long post halfway down a page on an insignifigant thread :lol:.
    No wait, there are no insignifigant threads on 7string, I'm sorry.:noplease:

9. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

10. Randyrhoads123

Randyrhoads123 Got a 7

I really don't see what the problem is in the first place. Reaper is a program that Cockos offers a free trial to. It's the full program and the company offering it doesn't put a time limit on the trial. It would be one thing if someone pirated the software and used it without the company's permission, but that's not the case. The software is put out there for download for free by the company who makes it and some users are going to take advantage of that. It isn't stealing, it isn't file-sharing, is there really anything wrong with that? I do have a license for Reaper because I believe there actually were some limitations on saving/rendering files without one, but is it really wrong for someone to use it for free when they can?

11. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

*Waits for Randyrhoads123's apology thread*

12. Randyrhoads123

Randyrhoads123 Got a 7

Lolno. Mainly because I do not care about internet points/rep....

There are things online that offer a "pay-what-you-want" option like the Humble Bundle Indie Game packs, but that's not really the same thing. You get a bunch of games, all DRM-free, with no restricting factors. Reaper is a full $60 for a license, which is reasonable for a DAW software, but it's still a bit of road bump for some people. If the company allows for their software to be used past a trial period, then people are still going to use it. There's no use in getting mad about it, it's just an emotional appeal with no real value.

If I made an album of music and put it online for free on my website, with a 10 second clip at the beginning that told listeners how I appreciate them for listening yadayadayada, I would still expect most people to download it for free, with some paying a set amount of say $10. Why would I as the producer, be mad at someone or respect them less for downloading, if I put it out for free? Sure it'd be nice for everyone to buy it, but that's not how people work. It's a progressive business model, but I would fully expect most people to act in their own best interest, i.e. not paying.

13. mr_rainmaker

mr_rainmaker Resident Cherokee

14. rgaRyan

rgaRyan Ermahgerd!

Randy, you think I did this for "points" and "rep"? Think again.
    I'm an honest guy, and like I stated above, I felt the need to apologize to the community.

15. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

No. If I'm thinking of the correct post in concern here, it wasn't the fact that the program was being used for free. Plenty of people have stated that they use / advised others about the 'free' status of Reaper and nobody has had a problem with them. It was the attitude of the post - I seem to remember it basically read as "Why should I pay them when they are being kind enough to let me try it free? They don't deserve money for their hard work as developers". That's how it read for me, at least.

+1 for the apology :yesway:

16. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

That's the key thing that is kind of wrong with your post. It is correct that the software doesn't shut off after 30 days, but it clearly states that you must buy a license after 30 days, so if you use it for longer than 30 days, you are using it illegally against the will of the company. Reaper is not put out for free, and using it without paying (after the initial thirty days) is pirating the software.

It is cool that rgaRyan apologized, I have a lot of respect for him now.

17. The Uncreator

The Uncreator Control The Sun

Level Up:

Respect Increased By 4!

Well done my friend

18. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

At first, this thread gave me hope for humanity.

Then, once I read through it, I lost it. :(

19. Randyrhoads123

Randyrhoads123 Got a 7

If that were really a problem for them, they could disable the trial after 30 days like every other software in existence, save for WinRar/WinZip. Speaking of which, how many of you guys have legit paid copies of those? I'm going to go out on a limb and say none.

Guitarmiester likes this.
  20. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

Ah! Who aint in a bad mood from time to time. No biggie. Stay and have some fun.