MXR Modified Badass vs Super Badass

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by KnightBrolaire, Oct 5, 2017.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

I'm looking for a versatile/clear OD that works for metal/other genres. The super badass really intrigues me since it has hi/mid/low knobs (a feature that more ODs need imo). Anyone have any experience with them? I'm also looking at a BYOC OD2 or Keeley Filament, so if you have experience with either of those I'd appreciate some input.

2. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Isn't the Super Badass a distortion pedal rather than an OD? In this case, I'd still choose the Custom Badass Modified OD. It's one of the finest OD out there.

Spinedriver likes this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

yeah it's technically a distortion but I figured with with the extra controls it offers it should work well for a variety of situations. It seems to work fine as an OD too though.

4. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I've had a CMBadass OD for a long time now. I find it to be incredible.

The bass knob has a huge range, and the tone knob works like a standard tone knob should. It also has the "bump" switch that basically shifts the whole EQ spectrum downward which is awesome for overly bright guitars and/or amps.

Finally, I like the asymmetrical clipping. It's a subtle difference but it adds some harmonic overtones and sounds a little grindier than a TS; and on lead lines that translates into a richer, more musical tone.

5. KnightBrolaire

Cool, thanks for the input. I think I'm going to try and snag a CMBadass and a super badass and then just return whichever one I like least.

6. KnightBrolaire

I caved and bought both. Super badass has more gain on hand and clips faster (duh it's a distortion) but it's also super versatile due to the hi/mid/low knobs. Both have a nice slightly gritty tone comparable to my od808x. The bump switch on the CMBOD doesn't make a significant shift for me personally (probably because I favor darker amps and bumped up lows/mids to begin with). Both are plenty capable of doing the clean boost route as well (though the super colors the tone just a little more). Both hold up pretty well when compared side by side to my od808x. Basically the super badass can do anything the CMBOD will but has the added benefit of being more versatile. I'll keep playing around with them but so far the super badass is my favorite.

Bloody_Inferno likes this.