Mxr m-135 smart gate

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Ancestor, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Ancestor

Ancestor Contributor

I play with a 6505 and an overdrive pedal. Lots of distortion and way too much noise to control smoothly.

Plugged this in last before the power section. Had to set it pretty high. So far can't get it to work 100% perfectly, but it's a heck of a lot better.

The pedal immediately cleans a lot of the crap out of the sound, and then gradually closes the signal off completely after I stop playing. It works. Not perfect, but it's a vast improvement. Gives the sound a processed feel that I like, too.

I kind of knew what to do already, but I had this set up in about 45 seconds. So, it is easy to use. I'd recommend it to anyone that needs to clean up their sound and can't deal with it using the volume knob/channel switching technique.

2. Goatfork

Goatfork Dovahkiin

I got one of these to replace my Boss NS-2, and I'll never go back! It's really easy to use and gets rid off anything from a little hiss to huge feedback. I use it to eliminate noise from my MXR GT-OD and all of my feedback. It's built like a tank (like anything MXR), it's true bypass, and I'm pretty sure it's all analog -I think all things Dunlop are, but idk for sure.

3. sevenstringgod

sevenstringgod SS.org Regular

Good review man, I ordered one myself and haven't recieved it. Which would yield better results, in front of the amp before a MXR-GT OD or after it?

4. Goatfork

Goatfork Dovahkiin

I found that before the GT-OD it worked a little bit, but not nearly as well as putting it directly after it. I'm using it now as the last thing in my chain before the amp, regardless of the order I put effects in before it. It's great right there.

Also - The one place it doesn't seem to work so well in is in my effects loop. It seemed to cut a tad too much there, even on the lowest setting.

5. sevenstringgod

sevenstringgod SS.org Regular

Thanks man, my signal chain is pretty simple really just the gt od and the smartgate.

Amp>gt-od>smartgate>guitar

I'll give it a go. Thanks. :yesway:

6. Goatfork

Goatfork Dovahkiin

No prob. Let the shredding commence! \m/

7. fc3603

fc3603 SS.org Regular

this one is pretty expensive, is it as good as a decimator?

8. Goatfork

Goatfork Dovahkiin

I don't have a decimator, but I used one once and remember thinking I couldn't control as much with it as the Smart Gate. I think they have equal power in eliminating noise, but you can't be as precise with the decimator.

9. StratoJazz

StratoJazz SS.org Regular

Oddly enough, i found that the Mxr smart gate pairs well with certain amps.

I have 2 Fender super champs i run stereo via a Boss dd-3. I've found that the noise reduction is sort of subpar on this amp actually. The best setting is full.

However, i have a Carvin x-100b half stack as well that seems to work really well on all settings. It completely cuts the sound when i use my Way Huge Fat Sandwich and my mxr custom comp. Usually place it right after the distortion and before the amp.