MXR Fullbore Metal

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by GoreNotCore, May 13, 2010.

1. GoreNotCore

GoreNotCore SS.org Regular

Ok this thing rapes. Its badass enough to make a fender hotrod sound brutal.

Its totally analog too, has a little mid scoop button, a noisegate button, and the other controls are simple as fuck. The most surprising part its the pinch harmonics. Ok, combine Zakk Wylde and Dimebag Darrell's pinch harmonics and multiply by 3, thats what it sounds like. So badass. The appearance is so unassuming i never paid any attention to it, but i checked it out one day and it made me shit my pants. I was playing one of those clockwork ltd ec's through it, so the emg's helped. The tone can only be described as head exploding low brutality with a clear sound that cuts babies in half...even with a fender hotrod lol. Im not sure about everone else, but im in love with this fuckin thing. and all from an analog pedal. fuck yea.

Ease of use: 5.
    it is so simple to use, if you cant figure it out, go pick up an acoustic and GTFO:agreed:

Features: 3. there arent a whole lot of features, but at least the ones they have are really badass. the knobs are smooth-turners and have good grippiness and also no foot-paddle with on/off switch under it thing.:agreed:

Reliability: N/A. Havent had it long enough:fawk:

Value: 5. for a hundred bucks it wrecks all other mainstream brand distortion pedals. even beats the line 6 uber metal and its not even digital. and it costs the same. the metal zone and uber metal are 99 usd and so is the fullbore.:agreed:

Customer Support: N/A:fawk:

Sounds: 5. Best natural distortion tone with maximum clarity. better than any digital tone. best way to put it is that it has balls. huge balls.:agreed:

Overall: 5. because 5 is the highest number available.:agreed:

2. stryker1800

stryker1800 Sweet Pickle

I've got one of these things, and it's ridiculously loud and you can do some fun things with it.

3. auxioluck

auxioluck Metal Teddy Bear

Thanks for the review, been looking for a new distortion pedal. :yesway:

4. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

I'm an MXR dealer, but I can't help but be honest and say I think the Fullbore pedal is atrocious.

5. iondestroyer1527

iondestroyer1527 Banned

+1
    i felt like mr.negative saying it but this pedal sucks...imo. every aspect of it is over done and i couldn't get anything usable out of it...a guy was going to sell it to me for $20 and i gave it back saying not for me dude. this pedal has some good ideas but doesn't deliver in the sound department for me.

6. Inazone

Inazone SS.org Regular

For my live rig, I switch back and forth between a Peavey XXL w\ Boss ME-50 effects, and a pedalboard/rack setup based around an ART Xtreme pedal and Peavey Classic 50/50 power amp. I insist on having a spare distortion box of some kind with a midrange sweep control, just in case the unthinkable occurs and something in my rig fails. Being that the Fullbore has a built-in noise gate (I normally use the ME-50's gate or a Hush pedal) that made it a better choice than some of the competition. If it was my primary source of tone, I'd run it through some sort of EQ - the Electro-Harmonix Tube EQ pedal is my favorite - but as a backup, it's fine on its own.

I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars.

7. maliciousteve

maliciousteve Lord Green Fingers Contributor

I tried one of these out yesterday and I really wanted to like it but I just thought it sucked. For £85 I thought I could get a better tone of a Metalzone.

Fair play if people can make it sound good but I really couldn't

8. Iron Beard

Iron Beard SS.org Regular

i had 1 of these for a day and sold it the next day. it sounded horrible imo.

9. median

median Contributor

What is the best single metal distortion pedal? I'd like to get a pedal that comes close to the Diezel Einstein (as that is my absolute fav) but I can't afford it yet.

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Look at the AmpTweaker TightRock.

11. median

median Contributor

The Tight Rock is nothing like an Einstein. The Tight Metal might be closer but even that one is far off. I actually don't think any pedal (besides AxeFx) can get close.

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

You're gonna be hard pressed to find anything that sounds remotely like an Einstein.

13. median

median Contributor

Yeah, I figured so...

14. EarlWellington

EarlWellington SS.org Regular

This really is an awful pedal... I bought it for $60 thinking it would be good and have not been able to get a single good sound out of it. I will never use it but can't bring myself to sell it because there's no way I could talk it up to someone so they would buy it

15. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

I took mine back after10 days, I just could not get a usefull tone out of it. I tried everything even extremes and it just did not work.

My amp is a clean Fender, I went back to the MT2 which I am able to set up for a great tone. If you have not tried one pick it up used, use minimal gain and you will make it sound good.

16. Glosni

Glosni SS.org Regular

Bought it, even though I read a lot of negative stuff about the MXR Fullbore Metal.
    Big mistake. Couldn't get a decent tone out of it that didn't sound like a gorilla giving a rimjob. Used an LTD EC-1000 with EMGs and two PRS SE.
    Now I got a Boss ML-2, much better.

17. CanniballistiX

CanniballistiX Detuned Fury

I've got this pedal as well. Picked it up for $80. Selling point for me was the gate, which would be amazing if it came with another stomper (1 for the gate, one for the dist) to run clean/dist with the gate.

Very tough to get something that I like, let alone love, out of it. I've the gain all the way to .5-1, otherwise it's just too much. I plug it in every once in a while trying to tell myself that it is still a viable option, but am seemingly always let down. Ugh.

18. Shakkyl

Shakkyl The Behaviorist

I think this pedal is god awful. Its distortion is so nasty and not in a good way. It is like they just copied Dimebag's tone and threw it into a pedal, except made it 300x shittier on the way. Just buy a decent hi-gain and throw this thing away. I like my DSL's distortion way more than this thing.

19. SaturdayMorningSnuff

SaturdayMorningSnuff Dogma 2015

I own this, the Mt-2 and does not have that brittle-digital sound like the Boss pedals do. It solved all my tone problems in one fell swoop. I play a nine string Agile 930 EB CA and it sounds like heaven, even when I'm recording sans amp/line in. I didn't even have to set it. It came sounding sweet out the box with 12:00 settings.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  20. Matx

Matx Ninja

Glad you like it. I never got along with mine.