Musicman JP7 BFR questions..

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by IronGoliath, Jun 9, 2012.

1. IronGoliath

IronGoliath SS.org Regular

Well hay there gang! Since the ESP LTD AW-7 I ordered won't be here until August I am cancelling that order to snag myself some Music Man win.

But I am just curious; yo.

How is dat feel?

Any complaints about anything regarding paint being chipped or sub-quality parts? And on that note any horror stories?

Are the tremolos like vintage trems or are they dive-only and don't lose the tuning of the guitar?

Is this the perfect guitar sans the trem for someone who likes changing tunings a lot?

Where can I get a BFR in Canada if anyone knows?

I played a JP6 the other day and I was totally blown away as I usually hate unfinished satin necks but DAT FEEL BRO. I just wish I could have tried a 7 string but then I might have bought it then and there hah!

2. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Dont buy one if you like trem wanking.

3. IronGoliath

I hate, with a fiery passion, the 'Steve Vai enthusiasts' of the world.

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Good? :scratch:

Not when new.

Nope. Only made with great stuff.

There were a few runs of BFR JPXI models which had some finish defects from the factory, but those were all sorted out.

The JP trem is of the two-point, floating, non-locking variety. Basically, it's a floating trem like a tradiitonal FR, but without the locking or fine tuning facilities. It's a great, well engineered unit.

Not exactly sure what makes a guitar better or worse for changing tunings, you're going to have to alter string gauge and intonate on any guitar if you want it performing it's best in a different tuning.

EBMM has a dealer locator on their site.

5. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Also arent bfr's like 3k? You might want to look into customs in that price range. Try and snag a used kxk.

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Man, you would think after being here how many years you'd actually learn yourself a thing or two. :lol:

:wub:

You can snag new BFR JPXI and JP12 models for ~$2500. While there are some decent (notice I say decent) customs in that range (which will take a year or more for delivery) and some great used customs, you're not really going to find anything that feels exactly like the JP, not to mention have the same bridge.

7. IronGoliath

Unfortunately I do not have the ability to constantly intonate and change string gauges as I need to because of the fact that I play in different tunings whilst playing live as opposed to playing at home. And strings get expensive :D But at the very least I could block it if I really can't be bothered. Which doesn't sound really ideal; it sounds lazy to me. But anyways.

Hearing that it is a two point unit and that it's well engineered does sound cool even though I am not a whammy man; at least I can suppose it is built well (And after trying the jp6 it seemed incredibly stable) But the fact that there is no kind of locking mechanism.. I dunno. I suppose I should try one out just to see anyhow. I'm used to my esps floyd. Or lackthereof, as I blocked the shit out of that.

And I'm not a custom guitar kind of guy. :) The waiting and the potential for disappointment and all the lead up - I am fine and comfortable without approaching a custom luthier for a little while at least.

8. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I feel offended by this. :(

9. IronGoliath

:lol: I didn't mean everyone who likes Vai, hell, I like Vai too! I just don't want to hear the whammy pierce my ears with harmonics through every lick

10. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Oh ok, yeah it would be kind of hard to find a custom, but you can definitely luck out. He wouldn't have to wait for a KxK if he bought one used or in stock either. I actually think there's a guy here in BC from Kamloops with a kxK. Might be worth hunting him down and trying it to see if you like the profile more than the bfr?

11. TheFashel12

TheFashel12 ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

You can always intall a tremol-no if your not gonna drop tune too far :shred:

12. Erazoender

Erazoender Aliens

Just get a Carvin already dammit :donnie:

13. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Oh and L&M carries loads of EB stuff, they can probably order one in for you and if you don't like it you can return it easily that way too.

14. JoeyBTL

JoeyBTL SS.org Regular

JP guitars are high quality and any good thing you hear anyone say about them is true, but if someone says something bad its highly possible they aren't lying. The reason I say this is because I've owned 2 now and each one I returned because of problems that shouldn't have been there if quality control paid attention.

The first was a redburst JP6 that I bought last year. Overall it was an awesome sounding guitar and I honestly wouldn't mind having another but mine has a few high frets. High to the point that notes would fret out on bends without the action even terribly low. I took it back to Guitar Center and they even sent it back to EBMM to have the frets leveled and when I got it back, it still wasn't perfect so I didn't feel like dealing with it anymore and returned it.

The second one is just recent (a week ago). I bought a JP12 6 string at Guitar Center. About a month ago they had juuuust got a 6 and a 7 in and I played them and loved them. The 6 I played just felt awesome to me, and I'm picky with guitars, but had to think on it. So I did, and then went back to buy it, but it was gone so they had to find me another from another store. I got it and it felt pretty good but when I got home to play it the very first thing I noticed was that the open high E string buzzed terribly. Also to me it felt like it didn't have the same mojo I guess, but that couldve just been me turned off by that string. I took it back and the tech tried a few different things and the only thing that really helped was making the action pretty high. Way higher than a JP guitar should be capable of. We determined that it was basically either a nut cut too low or the first fret was slightly too high. Either way, I returned it.

I'm not saying this is going to happen with one that anyone else will purchase because a lot of people love these guitars, and besides those problems with mine I definitely can't say that they were great instruments. The JP6 problem is one thing because they produce more of them but the JP12 being a BFR and a brand new model, you would think that something like that wouldn't happen. I didn't get another because it will be another 3 months before they get any brand new ones and I didn't want to attempt to find one at another store again. It put a bad taste in my mouth for the guitars, even though I still like them, but I just thought I'd share.

15. IronGoliath

That's a pretty good story to read man thank you for sharing. That's the kind of post I was hoping I was going to receive when I made this thread. Cheers.

Everyone and their puppy has a Carvin now, there is even a thread about it, D. :p

16. Erazoender

Erazoender Aliens

But come on, semi-custom for such a reasonable price ;)

Though fair enough you need one NAOW.

17. Rook

Rook Electrifying

I've had three JP's in my possession, a standard JP6, a JPX and a JP7 BFR and they were all perfect. I have however played others in stores and the like an having the nut cut very deep seems not to be so uncommon.

18. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

I have come to believe that JP specifies a slightly low nut. Both my JPX and JPXI have had a little open string buzz. I sent my JPX in and had it fixed but left the JPXI be. If you listen to some good live videos of JP you can hear a little buzz on his clean playing. For some reason I think he likes his guitars set up that way.

19. Ryan-ZenGtr-

Ryan-ZenGtr- SS.org Regular

I've had a few (3 or 4 can't remember) older EBMM JP's and worked on a BFR Baritone. Great guitars. Have no concern about the bridge, it really is a game changer :squint: .

I've got a lot of Edge's and Gotoh floyds, the JP's bridge can do everything and it's very easy to setup and tune.

I made a tutorial thread on how to replace the piezo, should it fail in the distant future. It's around here somewhere, use the search if you need it.

^ It wasn't a very popular thread (with very detailed pic story and instructions) with some JP owners (hint hint; YellowV :D ), as it discussed quality control and customer service issues which I encountered from EBMM direct at that time, so I don't bother much talking about JP's around here anymore.

The older ones were a little smaller in the body, perhaps there's more detail too it which I haven;'t kept up with.

The metal flake colours really need the right lighting to pop, without they can look a little plain, but in the right light they look great.

I got rid of all of mine in the end, although I did enjoy them at the time. The piezo is useable, if you have the right outboard they sound (regualr electro acoustic setup).

@IronGoliath

Yeah, I know what you mean. Around the time when Flexable came out...
    "Wow, how does he do that?"

Now, not so much... :eek:

Still, whammy sounds good in the right contexts.

20. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

I had no issue with your repair thread. IIRC you had an older JP that you were working on for a customer. It was out of warranty and being worked on by an unauthorized tech. Who knows what before you saw it. I wasn't really sure what you wanted them to do for you then and I'm still not. You bashed how guitars that are pretty well know as some of the best in the business had soldering done by first day noobs and such and used cheap rosewood etc. I own 4 now and have owned a few in the past and none have had issues like you described. Sorry if I dissagreed with you.