Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire what is shred may never die

excited to see shazam and us this weekend.

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I want to see Us but I am going to have to wait weeks, I've never seen a horror movie in the theater that wasn't ruined by the audience apart from niche things like Grindhouse and Drag Me to Hell where the only people there were uberfans.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  3. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Woo!

This is why I'm going at like, 10:30AM this weekend, so that I avoid the dipshits who are too stupid to comprehend what they just saw from what I'm sure will be a horror masterpiece

4. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Ugh, you had to sit through 90 minutes of that dog shit Quentin Tarantino film, Death Proof? I saw it only because I love Kurt Russell, but all I got was more of Quentin's foot fetish garbage and boring dialog. The dude barely has half a movie, then decides to tack on a second 'mini film' that's even worse than the first mini film. That and The Hateful Eight, another Tarantino schlockfest, has turned my dislike for his work to utter hatred. I turned The Hateful Eight off after probably the 20th time Samuel L Jackson was referred as an N word with a hard R. Which was probably 12-15 minutes in? Oh, and before I forget, Kurt Russell punching some woman multiple times. Yeah, fuck Tarantino. Rather watch Rob Zombie, who specializes in trash, or Oliver Stone.

At least Planet Terror was decent for what it was; I think Robert Rodriguez is much better as a filmmaker. I get the feeling that had Tarantino and Rodriguez gone to film school together, Rodriguez would've done everything. Tarantino would've skirted by doing shit last minute and getting help, coasting by because he was seen as "cool." Meanwhile, Rodriguez put in tons of hard work, and picked up Tarantino's slack. I know they didn't go to film school together (at least I don't think they did), but that's the dynamic I get from them.

TL;DR: Fuck Tarantino, watch Rodriguez instead. Better films, and you don't have to deal with foot fetish bullshit and Tarantino's racism.

chopeth likes this.
  5. KnightBrolaire

hateful fucking sucked. I enjoy basically all of tarantino's other films but that was borderline unwatchable for me. It was horrendously slow, plus the fact that they destroyed a priceless martin for real in the film makes me hate it even more.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  6. wankerness

I liked Hateful 8 a LOT more the second time and my initial reaction of misogyny evaporated, it really isn’t playing her getting punched for laughs, I just had a bunch of psychos in the theater the first go-round. As she’s easily the best character in the movie and causes the most chaos I had no issues with her the second time. it’s probably at the bottom of his movies but that’s not that much of an insult. It’s mainly just too long and has at least 30 minutes of flashback in the middle that could have gone.

Death Proof’s climax more than justifies its existence, plus it’s much shorter in the Grindhouse version. The crowd went apeshit at the end, it was infectious. I liked planet Terror more as a whole but it didn’t reach the same heights.

7. Spaced Out Ace

Death Proof's ending was just, "Yay girl power! Amirite, guys?" Likely said with that stupid look Quentin typically has. The misogyny and racism of Hateful 8 and quite a few of his other films is obnoxious. Very few films have been so bad I've shut them off.

8. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Hateful Eight was 3 hours of dogshit, and yeah I agree with Spaced, the racism and misogyny was played up to the point of being uncomfortable. Also Kurt Russel sucked in that movie and couldn't suspend my disbelief in the slightest.

That being said, I like every other Tarantino movie. A lot. Inglorious Basterds is one of my favourite movies, and Django was damned good and I can watch those over and over. But after Hateful Eight now I know that he doesn't shit gold so it left a bitter taste.

Started watching Season 7 of Game of Thrones last night before the new one is out. I dunno what they did but that season just has a completely different feel to it. The whole thing just seems cheesier and more played up? I dunno. Season 6 was probably my favourite and the Battle of the Bastards is right at the top for best episodes of the show. Maybe I was just coming down off of that high and Season 7 just felt different, especially a lot of the dialogue and the time jumps.

9. wankerness

They’re the HATEFUL Eight, what do you expect? Sam Jackson is one of the most outspoken dudes in the industry when it comes to calling out racism and if he didn’t see a problem I’m going to take his word for it over white peoples’.

None of it is played as anything other than, well, Hateful. I hate having to defend this movie. I was hoping that concern trolling would go ignored.

10. Spaced Out Ace

And I've talked to black friends of mine who do have a problem with it. So what does that prove?

11. Spaced Out Ace

Also, me having an issue with his racism is "concern trolling"? Whatever, dude.

12. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Watched The Dirt. I don't think I'd watch it again, but it entertained me for an hour and 45 minutes.

13. KnightBrolaire

US was meh. it was an interesting idea but it's pretty slow starting and has some weird pacing. the film overall was tedious for me, though it did a good job of building atmosphere. the gore is pretty tame imo. Lupita nyongo was awesome. Tim from Tim and Eric was pretty funny in the few scenes he's in.
    the last 20 minutes redeems the film overall but it's a rental at best, like Get Out was for me.

14. Spaced Out Ace

Gimme an R!
    Gimme an A!
    Gimme a C!
    Gimme an I-S-T!
    What's that spell?

Fascist!

(I'm joking; it seems like anytime someone expresses dislike for Jordan Peele's films, you can almost tell "racist"/"racism" are on the tips of the people's tongues that are in defense of his films. Also, I think -- thanks to the public school system -- that people are generally pretty fucking stupid and goofy, not knowing the difference between their favorite buzz words.)

15. KnightBrolaire

People are fucking idiots, they love to throw around -ist words like racist, sexist, fascist,etc in this current climate, without any ability to defend their position or understanding of what a fascist/misogynist/etc actually is.
    Get Out was ok at best, not some great masterpiece of horror with undercurrents of racial commentary like critics made it out to be. US is similar in that vein where mainstream critics were fellating themselves and Peele over how great the film is. The difference is US doesn't have some obvious ongoing social commentary like Get Out and tries to be a bit more of a horror film. It was ok at best.

16. Spaced Out Ace

Before, during, and after writing reviews for Peele films, I suspect it was much the same as the gif of Shawn Michaels mocking a WWF fan by giving a mock blow job. :rofl:

17. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

A Cure for Wellness, one of my new favorites.

18. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Immediate impression of Us, was that I liked Get Out more, but I think Us will get better on multiple viewings and realizing her characters motivations for totally different reasons, etc

Still an 8/10 if you only see it once

19. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I loved "Get Out" so I'm hoping "Us" is good.

20. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I watched Get Out twice in 2 days, and then once more a few days after that, so I'm right there with you on it. If you liked that, then you'll enjoy Us since it has that same overall feel (which makes sense since Peels wrote/directed/produced it), again I think it will require more viewings than Get Our to fully sink in EVERYTHING thats in this one.

Only negative I had for seeing it, was I kept trying to figure out what the subtext is, instead of just going along for the ride.