Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

watched The Predator. I honestly thought it was going to be a completely terrible movie like AVP Requiem, but it moves at a damn good clip and it's got great gore/action and humor. It was a good fun dumb action movie. There's some really stupid movie logic (like how the soldiers keep using small arms against the super predator even when they know it doesn't do anything). Olivia Munn's character is fucking ridiculous though. She somehow magically transforms from evolutionary biology professor into a gun toting badass by the midpoint of the film. At least she did a good job in this movie, unlike in xmen apocalypse (still salty that they cast her as psylocke).

BTS likes this.
  2. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

eeeemmmm

it was an ok movie, borderline cheesy tho. Like it had all the elements to be cheesy AF but somehow the director managed to keep it in track... Like it was a few explosions and a tilted camera at 2" above the ground to be a Michael Bay stupid popcorn shitfest

Like maybe by its own it could ahve been a better movie, but with carrying the "Predator" flag it came up reaally short. I was expecting a thriller kinda movie, not a sci-fi/comedy because "if jokes works for Marvel, it should work for us....right?....genius!!.."

one thing I did despite was the soundtrack.

and her character being ridiculous is not as bad as the way they used "get to the choppa!!" line I havent *facepalm* so hard in a cinema before

and soooooo many other WTF moments

Putting that aside, I jsut saw "Upgrade" and wooow that was a movie!, nice action thriler with a hint of sci-fi without going overboard, bit "indie" feel to it. Amazing camera work for the fights and with its good amount of gore.... Plus the end oooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...... so awesome to see people breaking out of "Hollywood script #43" cliches

3. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

^ I've been meaning to watch Upgrade for a while. All the great reviews make me think that Leigh Whannell hasn't lost his edge, and that it's a much better Venom movie than the current Venom movie.

4. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Honestly, I put it above Infinity War and MI6 for my movie of the year, it's that good as a film. (I also took those down half a star in my own ratings for the amount of movies you needed to see before each, so it's not entirely apples to apples)

A-Branger likes this.
  5. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Subspecies II. Just started it while getting ready for the day.

6. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I just watched Howl's Moving Castle.

I thought it was pretty good! It had interesting and endearing characters, the story kept me engaged and the film was very pretty aesthetically speaking. It felt a bit random and not always entirely clear on things but I kinda liked how you could just go with it and be like "aha, okay..." rather than "yeah, that makes sense".

I've also seen Spirited Away by Miyazaki and that one I didn't really dig. Howl's was by far better I thought.

7. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Watch Princess Mononoke too, those three are my favourites from Miyazaki.

synrgy likes this.
  8. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

Neil Breen's newest film Twisted Pair. It's as stunningly incompetent as anything he's done and is hilarious because of that. He misspells "detective" as "dectective" twice in the ending credits and that really feels like a microcosm of the film and his output as a whole.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  9. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

When he makes a film with Charles Band, then I'll care. :lol:

10. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I feel like those Best of the Worst episodes with his movies might be all I need. Confirm/deny?

11. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Yeah, that one is definately on the to-watch list!

synrgy and Metropolis like this.
  12. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

I had high hopes for this movie but it really let me down. I enjoyed all the non-AVP predator films, but this one is going into the trash heap with so many other reboot/remakes.

The set up of the film was pretty good, where they give an explanation as to why Predators take the spinal column as prizes and that there's some human DNA in them. I liked the idea of bring back Gary Busey's son to lead research as a tie-in to the previous movies. I also thought they did a great job with the special FX and creature design...but...

The parts that killed it for me were:
    • Too much lighthearted comedy bits...casting Key as a soldier and Thomas Jane with Tourette's syndrome, you can see the gags coming a mile away.
    • the lobotomized predator dog joining the good guys in battle.
    • Taking Oliva Munn's character seriously outside of a lab
    • blink and you missed it death of sterling k brown's character
    • predator language translator box set up outside of the space ship, so the Super-Predator can clearly announce its plan.
    • Main protagonist shits out the invisible cloaking device he smuggled back from mexico 5 minutes before he uses it to rescue his boy
    • The scene where it's no longer a predator movie but is now an iron man marvel movie
    • 8 year old whiz kid now has a desk job in NORAD, still can't make any friends
    I also caught Upgrade about a month ago and enjoyed that one thoroughly.

A-Branger likes this.
  13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

saw bad times at the el royale. it was solid, but way overhyped. It's not nearly as smart or interesting as critics made it out to be. There's one decent twist and some good cinematography/gore but it's a rental/netflix watch at best imo. Not worth watching in theaters, pacing is all over the place. The highlight of the movie is chris hemsworth's character, he steals every scene he's in, plus it's fun to see him play an antagonist.

14. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I just saw First Man at the cinema... because that was the only movie at that time frame I was free... I saw a tinny bit of a trailer so I thouhg it should be fine to watch

OMFG!!!!

best movie Ive seen on a cinema in ages!!!

between the soundtrack, soundFX, camera work, they DO take you in with the astronaut inside the rocket like never before. Sometimes I felt I was on a disney ride...... this movie NEEDS to be seen on a cinema, if not on a really good surround sound settup

put it this way, NeilA was on one of the Gemini missions, they take you from the moment they close the hatch till they reach space, no jump, no cuts, the whole trip, but the camera never leaves the ship. Theres no outside wide camera angle, npe. Just a bunch of tight shots inside the cabin and POV. No music, just an amazing sounf FX of the rocket

also not 100% waht cameras they used, I think a mix of 16mm and 35mm cameras I have read (but not sure if film and old school stuff), but the movie seems like it was filmed back in the day. Footage full of grain, slighty out of focus, shaky in some bits.... Just plain awesome

synrgy and MickD7 like this.