Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I hate how Fulci is synonymous with splatter in most horror fans' minds. Don't Torture a Duckling and Lizard in a Woman's Skin are masterpieces of their si genre and have much more coherent plots than their counterparts (ex, Argento's Deep Red). The Psychic is also damn good. Yet everyone just knows him for the gates of hell trilogy and Zombi. Bleh.

I really like The Beyond, though. It's kind of freeform and moody. It has great set pieces and looks good and has great atmosphere and it's held together by the fact that the leads are adorable and clearly like each other. One great thing in the movie that got past the editor is a shot where the lead starts pretending to reload his handgun like a musket by putting bullets in the barrel and the female lead looks at it and starts laughing. They left him starting to do that in the movie cause I guess they thought it was serious! It's in the elevator.

The one aspect of that movie that I don't like is the awful tarantula scene, it's so long and so stupid that it upsets the mood, but it's kind of funny.

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I hate how Fulci is synonymous with splatter in most horror fans' minds. Don't Torture a Duckling and Lizard in a Woman's Skin are masterpieces of their subgenre, the giallo, and have much more coherent plots than their counterparts (ex, Argento's Deep Red). The Psychic is also damn good. Yet everyone just knows him for the gates of hell trilogy and Zombi. Bleh.

I really like The Beyond, though. It's kind of freeform and moody. It has great setpieces and looks good and has great atmosphere and it's held together by the fact that the leads are adorable and clearly like each other. One great thing in the movie that got past the editor is a shot where the lead starts pretending to reload his handgun like a musket by putting bullets in the barrel and the female lead looks at it and starts laughing. They left him starting to do that in the movie cause I guess they thought it was serious! It's in the elevator.

The one aspect of that movie that I don't like is the awful tarantula scene, it's so long and so stupid that it upsets the mood, but it's kind of funny.

Basically, the plot is of no importance. It's vaguely got a plot, but it's much more an exercise in mood and style. The three movies I mentioned above prove that he can really do plot well if he wants. Don't Torture a Duckling and Lizard in a Woman's Skin are easily two of my favorite Italian horror flicks, and I'd put them at #1 and #2 on my list of Gialli any day. DTAD I think was the first where he really deployed the splatter, but it's used in a completely different way there in the scene where it happens.

EDIT: COOL, you can't delete posts anymore. I hit post twice on my phone. Guess I'll just fix the latter post now that I'm on a computer.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  3. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Boy, I sure did not give any fucks when The Florida Project was over. If Seinfeld is a show about nothing, TFP is it's movie equal.

4. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

King Arthur . well he Ritchie'd the fuck out of that

In the past I have enjoyed some of his styling's. like lock stock and snatch allot . the Sherlock Holmes movies were watchable as far as big budget action movies go

King Arthur was just too much of everything to the point i found it unwatchable in parts

5. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

I watched Black Panther on Thursday last week. It was... good. Certainly in the upper half of Marvel movies. However, given the hype surrounding it, I can't say I wasn't disappointed. Killmonger was a very good villain... when he was on screen, which honestly wasn't nearly often enough. The themes that the movie was purporting to explore were certainly worthy of exploration, but I honestly felt it didn't go nearly far enough. Maybe that was in order to make it digestible for a wider audience, but I simply found that I wasn't challenged by it in the way I was hoping.

Also, they changed Vibranium from being simply a nigh-indestructible metal into a ridiculous Macguffin with all sorts of ridiculous properties, including magical healing. I didn't like that.

One thing that bothered me over the course of the movie was how they tried to explain Wakanda's isolation for basically all of recorded history. They state that Wakanda has always been roughly 50 years ahead of the rest of the world, technologically speaking. However, this explanation bothered me enough that it pulled me out of the movie, because even a cursory examination of history reveals that it doesn't really make any sense. Wakanda is hidden from the world by a cloaking shield at this point, but the timeline implies that such a shield must have been invented in the past 50 years, because it clearly hasn't been created in the real world yet. However, 50 years ago, America already had the SR-71. The only way they could have stayed hidden from a spy-plane prior to the invention of a cloaking shield would have been to shoot it down, and that clearly didn't happen.

Yes, I realize that there's an argument to be made for the "alternate reality, doesn't have to follow real history" angle.

EDIT: I've also seen quite a number of people saying that Killmonger is the best Marvel villain since Loki. No. He's certainly one of the better Marvel villains, but he's nowhere near Loki. I found Zemo to be more compelling than Killmonger.

6. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

While I do think that Killmonger is an upper tier villain in the canon, I somewhat agree. He's incomparable to Loki as Loki has had a few movies to develop. He is comparable to Zemo though: both sympathetic driven by their own personal grievance. Then again, I'm one of those guys who found the Red Skull as a great villain for exactly the opposite reasons. But then again (again) I also think the best villains of the MCU are Wilson Fisk and Killgrave.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire self-appointed sso pickup tester

Zemo was nowhere near as interesting of a villain as killmonger was imo. The vibranium itself isn't what heals people, it's their ridiculous tech. They have optical cloaking, sound dampening footwear, localized energy fields, nanite microsurgery capability, shockwave cannons, nanofiber/composite fabrics,etc. If you read the comics the film is relatively true to them as far as tech goes, though wakanda is shown as even more advanced in some of the comics. Tchalla and his sister rival tony stark and reed richards in intellect and engineering genius in the comics. I think it's been argued that Tchalla is even smarter than tony/reed at points. He's literally the African Bruce Wayne.

8. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I just saw the new Pixar movie, Coco. Best movie I've seen in a LONG time! Highly recommended.

jwade likes this.
  9. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Black Panther - I liked it allot. wasn't sure i would cause I wasn't super into the character in civil war. but to be fair I wasn't really that into civil war in general

to me the last spider man and black panther feel allot fresher than everything that came after the first iron man

10. MickD7

MickD7 SS.org Regular

Mute- Duncan Jones’s “spiritual” sequel of Moon. The story has some interesting moments and the cast was solid as well as the cinematography. For fans of Blade Runner especially with the neon sci fi look. Paul Rudd turns in an awesome performance in this, showing more of an acting prowess in this over any film I’ve ever watched him in. Give him a few more roles like this and it could be really promising. 4/5 will require a second viewing

The Pianist- What a gut wrenching movie, Adrian Brady was in his absolute prime in this and his heart and soul are put into the performance. I’m not a huge Polanski fan at all, I’ve seen some of his films and zoned out. This may be his most perfect film ever. 5/5

Whiplash- I’ve seen some talk about this film and the portrayal of Jazz and Jazz music. For me this film could have switched out any style of music and still have been as enjoyable. JK Simmons is an absolute beast of an actor in this. Miles Tellor holds his own really well against JK as well. I really enjoyed the way this film caught the ensemble moments when the bands performed in particular, is it an accurate portrayal of Music education? I’d say 50/50 whilst I’ve never had anything thrown at me at a rehearsal to say that I haven’t seen my far share of personality traits like that of Simmons in the film would be a lie. 5/5 because of JK Simmons and Miles Tellor

Wolf Of Wall Street-I had put this off for a while, DiCaprio and Margot Robbie are solid but I have to say Jonah Hill was the real jam in this one. I had moments that I enjoyed in this film and have heard many argue that DiCaprio deserved the Academy Award for this over The Revenant. Solid Film and story. Will require a second viewing

The Revenant- I’ve watched The Revenant at least 4-5 times now. 3 of those viewings in the same week. Why? The film speaks for itself it’s a masterpiece of cinematography and the characters in The Revenant are solid the standout performances in this by the cast are so much more interesting and each time I’ve watched it the nuances at DiCaprio, Tom Hardy and probably the most underrated actor in the film Domhnall Gleeson. Gleeson is an actor I think could take the next step into being a powerhouse actor. Hopefully he gets some more roles like this in the future. I still think his moment in TFA for example is something more solid then most expected he’s got this intensity during that speech that commands you to listen. 5/5

In The Heart Of The Sea- I don’t know what went wrong with this film but I’d say the bulk of its problems begin and end with Hemsworth. Is he a good Thor? Yeah I guess, is his 30 seconds in the first JJ Star Trek cool? Yes. Beyond that I can’t really see how his acting keeps getting pursued. Especially given the other actors that got shafted with side characters in this perhaps this biggest waste of Cillian Murphy in film since the Nolan Batman films. Other notable performances from Tom Holland, Brendon Gleeson are good but who ever chose Hemsworth as the lead picked the dud on this one. 3/5

11. KnightBrolaire

:yesway: Revenant, Whiplash, Pianist, Wolf of Wall St. are all really great films. Wasn't a fan of In the Heart Of the Sea, the CG looked a bit too obvious and it was a pretty tedious film overall imo.
    I just watched Detroit last night and it was very intense. Way too much shaky cam for my taste (god I wish that fucking trend would stay dead) and they draw out the Algiers Motel incident for way too long. It's well made and focuses on an interesting time in history, but the film doesn't flow well at all. 3/5

MickD7 likes this.
  12. KnightBrolaire

this looks like fun.

13. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

Been waiting for this movie for a while now... At first it was called "the band named impaled rectum", but they changed it after a while.

14. fps

fps Kit

Watched The Revenant. Another Inarritu film I admire but don't love. Amazing performance by Tom Hardy.

15. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Bought the 4K blu ray for Blade Runner 2049, so tonight has been watching both movies back to back. These movies were made for 4K.

16. RND

RND SS.org Regular

I just saw The Butterfly Effect with my friend last night. It was a really interesting movie concept. I don't think any of the "sequels" are any good, so be wary of that. I also think you should be aware of whether you are watching the director's cut or then normal movie... If you're feelin' down, I'd suggest the normal version for sure!

17. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

Alien:Covenant- Enough sci-fi visuals to keep it not entirely a 1-by-1 all die, unkillable monster flick I guess. That David is a son of a bitch. I hope the 2019 sequel to the sequel to the prequel is maybe more interesting and less predictable.

The Revenant (2009)- The other un-related Revenant. Sleeper flick, very entertaining. Great twist on the Undead genre. Great humorous moments. Recommended.

18. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Thor - Ragnarok

I liked it . is pretty much the prefect Friday night beer and pizza movie at the end of a hard week . def played for laughs and it worked

Liked the kiwi humor incorporated into it. Taika Waititi did a good job with it

19. KnightBrolaire

Revenant is seriously underrated. Really fun B-movie.

I watched Game Night a couple nights ago and it was surprisingly funny. I enjoyed it.

20. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

Watched Get Out the other night. I was left wondering why the movie was majorly hyped and nominated for some many awards. I guessed the plot very early on since the girl was very sketchy and weird from the start. It was still good just not nearly as good as the hype.