Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

"Reboot?" I'm starting to lose track of what that even means anymore. Is Rhodes in it for 2 scenes at the beginning to establish continuity before the plot is then just a retread?

I never watched the infamous remake from ~10 years ago. Remake #2 seems pretty quick.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

You're thinking of Dawn of the Dead, this is the one with Bub the zombie.

3. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Uh, no. There was a Day of the Dead remake. And, by the way, it was fucking horrible. Just like this one looks.

4. KnightBrolaire

ohhh that piece of shit with mena suvari pretending she was in the national guard. Yeah that was really bad.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  5. wankerness

Yeah, I guess? I'm thinking of something everyone hated that I didn't watch. I have no beef with the Dawn of the Dead remake, I saw it in the theater and enjoyed it.

Anyway, I got a big ol' list of zombie movies off IMDB and sorted by my ratings, and there's only a handful I even put at 7/10. Looks like best to worst (not ranked within numbers):

9/10
    Cemetery Man
    Dawn of the Dead 78
    [REC]
    Dead Alive
    8/10
    Plague of the Zombies
    Night of the Living Dead '68
    The Beyond
    Return of the Living Dead 3
    Re-Animator
    Evil Dead '82
    Evil Dead 2
    Rabid
    7/10
    Day of the Dead
    Zeder
    Messiah of Evil
    Night of the Comet
    Zombi
    City of the Living Dead
    Zombieland
    28 Weeks Later
    Return of the Living Dead
    Night of the Creeps
    Pontypool
    Creepshow (this one's a stretch)
    Girl with All the Gifts
    Evil Dead 2013

I guess Train to Busan makes the top 10. There aren't nearly as many good ones post 2000 as I thought!

Rosal76 likes this.
  6. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

+1. Good list.

If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend you see this movie from 2013 called, Contracted. It's not your typical "a lot of zombies attacking lots of people, lots of gore, lots of shootings, lots of chaos in the street" cliche that you see now in zombie movies. At first, it may come off like movies like Outbreak (1995) and Contagion (2011) as they have similarities but I think Contracted did really good as a small budget movie.

Oh, almost forgot. Ya gotta put Shockwaves (1977) on your list. I freaking love that long scene where they showed that Nazi zombie underwater!!! Being a fan of special effects, I'm there looking for the tube for the actor to breathe air from! LOL!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  7. KnightBrolaire

+1 Solid little twist on the zombie genre. I dug Contracted

Rosal76 likes this.
  8. wankerness

I've never heard of contracted. I'll have to watch it.

I've seen Shock Waves. I found it kind of dull apart from some good creepy water zombie shots. I really love the score, though.

9. fps

fps Kit

Also saw 3 Billboards Next To A Dog In Wisconsin, or whatever it's called. Really good film.

10. wankerness

I've been starting to blast through the Golden Globe/Oscar nominees finally. I think "The Phantom Thread" is the only other one I'm particularly interested in. The Darkest Hour sounds substandard by all reports and gay male romances (Call Me By Your Name) just don't do it for me. Well, I guess I really liked Moonlight, so maybe I should give it a chance.

The Shape of Water - 7.5/10
    The Post - 6/10
    Three Billboards - 7/10
    I Tonya - 6/10
    Lady Bird - 9/10
    The Disaster Artist - 6/10 (though this one's off the Oscar list for non-movie reasons, woo)

So, this is kind of a weak year. Usually I end up loving at least a few of the best picture nominees.

After looking back through my ratings for movies from 2017, Logan, Mother! and Colossal are right behind Lady Bird and The Big Sick, which were my easy two favorites. Get Out and Raw are also right up there. I have issues. Blade Runner 2049, War for the Planet of the Apes, and Gerald's Game were also really good. Last Jedi, Killing of a Sacred Deer, Thor Ragnarok, Kong Skull Island, John Wick 2, A Ghost Story, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Wonder Woman, It, Lego Batman, Baby Driver, Spider Man Homecoming, Dunkirk, Fate of the Furious, were decent to pretty good. The only movies I saw that I disliked were It Comes at Night and Alien Covenant. I need to rewatch a few of these that I don't feel fully confident in my opinions of. I think Raw, Dunkirk, Get Out and Blade Runner will improve. War for the Planet of the Apes, John Wick 2 and Alien Covenant could go either way.

I need to rewatch The Shape of Water, I was expecting to love it, and maybe I would have without massively overblown expectations and the added barrier of going to see it last night yesterday at 10 pm after finding out that was the last day it was playing within 50 miles!

11. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

The Handmaiden

I didn't realize Park Chan wook released a movie in 2016. And I actually had the BluRay for sometime, but never bothered to watch it until the other day. And had I watched the movie back in 2016, I would have rated it as my favorite movie of the year next to Hunt For The Wilderpeople. A movie adaptation of Fingersmith revamped to 1930s Korea setting, this is a beautifully filmed/acted mystery/thriller story that you'd expect from Chan wook.

12. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

13. wankerness

Nah, test audiences have been ruining things for decades. If anything, post-film ratings would have even less impact.

How many people are in that facebook group? 10? I most definitely don't doubt they can make a huge dent (just look at TLJ), but I don't think there's THAT much tribalism. Unless now DC vs Marvel is going the way of Fox News fans vs everyone else.

14. KnightBrolaire

meh they might tank it for about a day but it'll correct pretty quickly. User scores tend to crystallize after a certain point on both metacritic and rotten tomatoes, thus offering a pretty good metric for if people like the film.

15. Bloody_Inferno

Black Panther

A three-peat victory for Ryan Coogler is what I've been calling this after seeing Black Panther last night, but the movie is so much more.

This movie is fantastic in every aspect. The plot is self contained and almost exclusively set in Wakanda: and the fictional nation is beautiful: lush vibrant, colourful and culturally rich that the setting tells it's own story. The cast is fantastic, each character fully thought, and the plot isn't your typical MCU song and dance (probably helps that Civil War quickly gets his origin story out of the way, that I didn't know much about this plot). The MCU bad guys are getting better since yesteryear, but Michael B Jordan as Kilmonger takes it up a few more notches as one of the best in the canon.

Yeah there's still a few flaws like some dodgy CG here and there (thought it's shot extremely well to disguise it for the most part), and I'm getting weary of SUV car chases in every action movie this decade, though the Busan scenes also look amazing.

Ok, it's another Marvel CU movie I rave about, and of course it's going to make a ton of money just by being one. But Black Panther is special, and damn great.

Oh, and for the curious, Fruitvale Station and Creed are awesome too.

16. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Tried to watch Chappie as my wife is a Die Antwood fan ( I despise them) and we both like his other movies ,well district 9 anyway .

was woeful .even my wife agreed and we turned it off an hour in. Die Antwood duo were terrible in it . bad decision

17. Spaced Out Ace

Sorry, but I thought it looked like shit. Can't believe people are getting up in arms over this shit losing it's 100% rating or whatever when it looks that fucking terrible. And I thought Avatar looked like CGI smeared shit on a big screen.

18. Bloody_Inferno

Did you watch the movie?

19. Spaced Out Ace

Nah. Watching the horrendous previews of stereotypical cars flipping after jumping on them in slow mo, shit looking CGI during fight scenes, entirely fake scenery, and other stalwart hallmarks of MCU feces perpetrated on the populace was more than enough for me. No matter how much diversity these films have, it's the same shit in every MCU film. How people enjoy seeing the same film over and over and over and over again is beyond me, but if that's what you're into, have at it. Half of the shit in the trailers looked like a video game.

20. Bloody_Inferno

:yesway:

Well, yeah. Were you expecting Citizen Kane from a genre based entirely on comic book superheroes? :lol: