Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I just saw COCO over the weekend

must say, Pixar, you did it again. Beautiful visuals, made me tear up at couple of times too. Pretty basic on the characters, the comedy relief and the pet animal, blah blah. Not sure if the twist at the end is stereotype, but I didnt saw it coming. Either way a pretty good film

also F#* you Pixar, wheres my before movie short film????..... those are usually the best :(

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder

Life- A good stupid creature feature. It was really well done but the alien itself isn't anything amazing. I did like some of the kills though. It actually has some good sci-fi mumbo jumbo dialogue (I always thoroughly enjoy hearing people try to rationally explain something like an alien).
    Warcraft- A bloated, kind of boring movie. I thought I'd like it but the weird mix of CG and practical effects like paula patton's terrible orc makeup just threw me off. Definitely didn't help that the characters aren't particularly interesting. it did have some ok fight scenes but most were ridiculously slow/pathetic imo. There's no oomph when people clash with the CG orks (which is a complaint I also had about the hobbit trilogy).

3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I have heard several times that Life is a lot of fun and since it came out at about the same time as Alien Covenant a ton of people were saying it was a much better Alien movie than the official one! I can't make myself watch it, though. It's been sitting in my "mainstream junk to watch" pile for quite some time now :D Warcraft is also in that pile!!

Finally got around to watching Colossal, and loved it, the plot did NOT go in the directions I was expecting. It's a contender for my favorite movie of the year.

The "rough concept" is that Anne Hathaway is an alcoholic that one morning wakes up on a park bench, stumbles through the park by her house, gets home, and sees on the news that a giant monster in Korea materialized and made exactly the same stumbling motions through a city block as she did through the park. She confirms that it mirrors her actions, that it only appears if she's in the park at a specific time in the morning, and that it vanishes when she walks out of the park area.

That right there is one of the weirdest concepts I've ever heard for a movie, but it isn't just some stupid gimmick that the screenwriter came up with and then called it a day. The plot and characters are great throughout and it subverts tropes of a different genre entirely in its main arch, and man oh man is it weird and surprising and dramatically satisfying. Anne Hathaway is so great in it.

4. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I really enjoyed Covenant, probably my 2nd favorite in the Alien franchise, but Life is basically a love letter to every self-contained sci-fi film where good intentions go horribly wrong; but in the end it ends up being average, nothing bad or offensive to it, but no reason to re-watch it unless you want a lesson in like, Horror Sci-Fi 101.

5. KnightBrolaire

^this. It doesn't really do anything really poorly, but it also doesn't do anything really amazing either. I did enjoy how it kills the first scientist though. People have been joking/posting theories that the alien is actually the venom symbiote.

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Just watched the American vandal documentary on Netflix. Crazy how the original guy got away with it.

And now on to Black Mirror. (Sort of) can only watch like 1-2 episodes at a time. Gets a bit dark.

7. wankerness

Covenant is on a lot of top 10 WORST OF THE YEAR lists. It's also on a few best of the year lists. It's really polarizing. It's not necessarily a love-it-or-hate-it movie either, reactions are all over the place. I was in the middle somewhere. I was sort of interested in what it was trying to do, but didn't like it either.

8. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

I liked Covenant, but I wanted to love it.

I was among the few who was really into Prometheus. Not to say I thought it was a 'great film', persay, but that I was genuinely interested in where it was going. I liked Shaw as a flawed-but-steely heroine, and I was really looking forward to seeing how she would handle whatever she and David discovered upon arriving at their destination.

When the answer to 'where it was going' turned out to be 'nowhere, really', and the answer to 'how will she react' turned out to be 'she won't', that deflated me quite a bit.

Still, I genuinely enjoy Scott's vision and execution. The films are really pretty, and they succeed in transporting me out of my present reality, which - really - is my primary motivation to watch movies. The concept of David and his obsession with transcending humanity - as an origin for the franchise - is interesting, and 'realistic' (to me), even if it gets a little muddy in the presentation.

The extras/bonus-features on the blu ray do help flesh it out quite a lot. I understand 'haunted house in space' and 'three-plus hour epic' don't make for good bedfellows, so I'm not suggesting the film would have been better if they were all included in its runtime; I'm just suggesting that they help further flesh out David's perspective and motivations, along with that of the rest of the crew - for those who might be interested.

9. wankerness

I don't love Prometheus, but I somehow find it interesting enough that I've watched it 3 times. Covenant seemed a lot less interesting even though the small loudmouth internet contingent who says Prometheus is the worst movie ever (see also: Star Trek Into Darkness, The Last Jedi) says it's a lot better. I think a big part of it was what they did with Shaw. I didn't like any of the characters. They might not have been as stupid as in Prometheus, but they were considerably more boring to watch. The visuals were a lot uglier. And that flute scene was unintentionally hilarious.

I plan on revisiting it when the blu-ray ends up in the 5 dollar bin. I've seen it for 10, but that seemed like too much. Sounds like the extras are good, though, huh? I'm used to shitty EPKs being the only extras on big-budget movies. If they're actually worth watching then maybe that 10 is a fair price.

10. fps

fps Kit

I liked it when they were just out there with the alien running around. I liked loads of it. The ending was such a boring retread that it soured the rest of the experience.

11. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

agreed. when it felt like an alien movie it was cool.I really didn't rate how they tied it all together with David .felt like they were reaching way too hard to make it all fit and be "intelligent"

Aliens is in my top 5 movies of all time, and it is the complete opposite of "intelligent"

12. KnightBrolaire

All the Money in the World- Christopher Plummer plays John Paul Getty, richest man in the world, whose grandson gets kidnapped. Plummer is utterly compelling as Getty. He manages to make getty look seem like both a family man and a narcissistic cheapskate who wants to win at any cost. Mark Wahlberg and Michelle Williams are great in it as well, but Plummer is the star. If you're in the mood for a good drama, watch this.
    I, Tonya- Margot Robbie was fucking perfect for playing tonya harding. She manages to come off as tough, vulnerable, dedicated, egotistical, and snarky all in the span of the film. The tone is kind of dark and ridiculous (which if you've read anything about the real story, is the perfect tone for the film). Alison Janney is an abusive demanding mom who pushes tonya too hard, and she owns the role, just spewing venom and abuse. Sebastian Stan is pretty funny as Harding's husband, but the funniest character is Paul Hauser, who plays shawn. He's a delusional slob who lives with his parents, but claims to work for the CIA as an espionage consultant along with some other equally ridiculous claims.

13. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

watched war for the planet of the apes .

me and the wife both loved the first one

2nd one liked on initial viewing then kind of went cold after a 2nd view

so we were a bit hesitant to watch 3rd. but we both enjoyed it . had a few story points that could be debated but all in all ,worth watching. Woody Harleson def added something to it in his usual way

14. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

so finally saw "IT" the new one, oooooooooooooMFG!!! what a movie. Im not much of a fan of horror, and usually end up watching them because I cant find anything else. And I get surprised when I see a good film and not a jumpscare fest.

but ooooohhh this was such a well made film.... I got bit annoyed at the kid from stranger things, almost wish they dialed back his stereotype personality to be a bit more believable, I had couple of friends like that were everything its a sex joke..... and I felt bad for the fat guy, though he was gonna get the girl and make something different o a movie for once :p

but what amazing "horror" film. I dont get scared anymore, Im too into analizing everything, compositin/lighting/VFX/sound/ect ect. I know everything its fake. But if you have a girl who gets scared easily, then this is a movie to watch ;) hehehe

10/10 would watch again pretty soon

15. KnightBrolaire

Hesher- i finally watched it and after years of putting it off. I hated it. Joseph gordon levitt is entertaining but the overall the film meanders and feels pointless. Jgl's character is only entertaining because he's a anarchist/uncouth lout.

16. wankerness

I would give it a 6/10. It has some of the same issues as the awful TV version, namely they compress the timeline so much that it's no longer believable at all that they form such a strong friendship, even though the kids here are really well acted and their interactions are great. They should have left in a couple things to give it some more days, like most especially the iconic "Bill races to beat the devil" thing with them riding away from the werewolf on Silver. That scene is so important symmetrically with the ending scene with Bill and Audra, as that one's called "Bill races to beat the devil Pt. II" if I remember right. Ah well.

My biggest problem with the kids is taking away Mike's historian thing and giving it to Ben. So, his defining character trait is changed from that to "black guy." He's basically Barrett (FF7). I am curious if he's going to be working in the library in Part 2, or what they're going to do with that. They can't really switch him with Ben and have Ben the guy left behind working as the town historian in the library. Well, they COULD I guess. That would be interesting?

I HATED that kid in Stranger Things this season so much that I couldn't react to him on his own merits in this movie. I think he's fine, I just spent at least the first half the movie hating him because of ST.

Beverly is done SO well in this movie it's ridiculous. Well, until certain plot developments that aren't in the book that needlessly turn her into a damsel in distress. She's really great, though.

I didn't like Pennywise, at all. His look is just silly and they stick a ton of attempts at jump scares in and he's just way too sinister and "edgy." Like, the first scene flops IMO, since unlike with Tim Curry, any kid in his right mind would run away screaming with that monster clown with a gigantic alien forehead sneering "Take iiiiTTTT" at him out of the sewer. Ah well. It was a step in the right direction with everything but that stupid clown design.

17. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

The TV version isn't "awful."

18. KnightBrolaire

the only real redeeming part of the tv version is tim curry's performance as Pennywise imo

19. wankerness

Yeah, it's really not good at all. I watched it about a year ago in prep for this movie. Tim Curry is great to the point of being iconic, and he dwarfs the guy in the new one, but a bunch of the other actors/characters are just laughably bad (even the big name in the cast, John Ritter, and Olivia Hussey who I like). Sean Green and Emily Perkins' presence in the kid cast are amusing to me, but they both suck for the roles. I kind of like adult Bev even though she's not at all the character in the book. The whole thing is so damn neutered and the plot is so heavily compromised even besides being practically G-rated. And MAN, the confrontations in It's lair are so bad. "We couldn't figure out how to represent anything in the book's climax, so we'll just have them all punch a shitty giant spider."

There's a huge contingent of people that grew up with it that are convinced it's a masterpiece, but it's kind of Goonies syndrome where they're blinded to its flaws if they saw it at a formative age and not that impressed if they didn't. (I think Goonies is way better, but I did see that one as a kid!)

The new one is compromised in a lot of ways, but it does a ton of stuff right that this one failed at, and the acting is just night and day better with the kids. They actually sell the dialogue! And their friendship isn't represented simply by a bunch of really awkward arms around the shoulders.

20. KnightBrolaire

goonies syndrome is a perfect description. I first saw IT as a kid and it scared the shit out of me (at the the time) but since then I've watched it a couple more times and it's pretty pathetic overall. Goonies is still a solid film imo and has more balls than the 90s IT did. Hell, Thinner is a way better 90s steven king movie as far as the execution. That's one stephen king story I'd love to see someone else take a crack at.