Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Thor: Ragnarok - Decent Marvel movie. I enjoyed it. I had a couple of little nitpicky issues with it here and there, but all was forgivable with plenty of everything I love about Marvel movies. I'd watch it again, easily.

The House - Hmm. As expected. My biggest complaint is that the trailer for the movie was just a condensed version of the movie, aside from a cameo and a couple of jokes that were amusing-ish. It wasn't boring, but I just felt it didn't try to raise the bar in any way.

Spy - This had me laughing out loud twice. Some good humour and entertaining action. Don't expect anything out of the plot or overall acting and you'll probably really enjoy this one. I was happy to see Melissa McCarthy in a role where she wasn't a "derp comic relief derp" nor an obnoxious stock character, and thought she did a praiseworthy job (for it being a comedy). Jason Stratham, on the other hand, played a pretty one-dimensional angry-dude character, but he did such a good job at it that he ended up stealing the show. The rest of the characters were quite unremarkable. I'd recommend it, though, if you like modern comedies.

2. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Justice League

After long umming and arring for quite some time, I decided to finally go against the popular opinion, and bought myself a Dimarzio Tone Zone 7 for the bridge of my RG1527. My long quest of trying to find the closest 7 string pickup to my favorite set (the Dimarzio Breed), I've gone through a few contenders: first the Blaze Custom, which was too boomy for me, the Crunchlab 7, which I found flat and uninspiring, and currently a D-Sonic 7, the closest but still no cigar, or Breed if you will. The Tone Zone 7 has always been downplayed in this sight, and quite a few 7 string players, namely metal players. But I'm not going for that uber tight low end (I have the Evo7 on my RG1527M for that), so I finally took the plunge and ordered one. I also ordered an Air Norton 7 to replace my Liquifire 7, namely because I ordered the pair in brushed chrome covers. Thought I'd give my guitar a new look as well. Looking forward to having them installed and playing them when they finally arrive.

Oh yeah, Justice League. Justice League is a movie in which popular superheroes gather together and do stuff with cube shaped mcguffins and finally come together against a big bad guy in the end, which is certainly a positive thing. Booya.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  3. watson503

watson503 Los Cochinos

Brawl In Cell Block 99 - Vince Vaughn as Bradley Thomas, a wrecker driver turned drug courier who ends-up in prison...great film, highly recommend.

No Beast So Fierce - I went into this one not having a clue about the film, man is released after 20 years in prison and is looking for his son who he has not seen in years. Great watch and the ending is really twisted.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

Slumber Party Massacre- good stupid slasher fun

Spaced Out Ace and Rosal76 like this.
  5. fps

fps Kit

Not necessarily, just a lot of movie-goers are justifying their purchases, equating the film with the rest of their evening, and haven't seen all the other films their choice is a derivative knock-off from. Not always the case of course, and comedies especially are notoriously undermarked, just adding a coupla thoughts.

6. KnightBrolaire

with a larger sample size it's a better indicator as to whether the film is enjoyable imo. ie jigsaw has 25000+ ratings and the overwhelming majority liked it. This happens all the time with horror films/comedies, though occasionally the critic consensus mirrors the audience one. I'd rather trust 25k people who paid money to watch it than a critic who likely saw it for free and doesn't even like horror. Without the ability to cull outliers (like 0-1 or 5 star reviews) it's hard to say whether their ratings are justified (jigsaw is at a 4.7/5 avg from the audience). If you really want a good idea then rotating between metacritic and rottentomatoes/ collating their data works best.

7. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

+1.

I can't remember too much about the first movie but I absolutely love the 2nd one. So much I had to buy the DVD.

8. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

It's more believable since Saw 5 and Saw 3D are down around 50%. That's way higher than those two deserve, but that's still a huge difference.

RE: Slumber Party Massacre, a big part of what's amusing about the first is that it was directed by a woman and is loaded with subversion of bimbo slasher movies (like, Sorority House Massacre). It's a ton of fun. I still haven't watched the sequels, but I hear good things about 2 all the time.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  9. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Since I got the Xbox One X, and I have a 4K TV, figured I may as well get some 4K Blu Rays. So, I got Blade Runner and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. Not only are they both great (well, its been said enough with Blade Runner of course), but the 4K really is noticeable. Both great looking movies look even better.

10. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Blade Runner is supposed to be one of the best discs. I can't really justify a 4K set considering my living room setup, but it's making me want to move to a new apartment!!

11. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I'll tell you what, I had to resort to eBay just to find Blade Runner on 4K. Even the regular blu-ray has been hard to find.

12. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Justice League

I thought it was enjoyable. I didn't really have any problem with the movie. I probably have low standards compared to everyone else, though. To me, a movie is good, even if it's considered bad by an overwhelming majority. Basically, I like what I like and fuck everyone else's opinion. 2edgy?

13. KnightBrolaire

Justice League was good stupid fun. Steppenwolf was a pretty lame villain and the ending was weak but I still liked it.
    Murder on the Orient Express- Haven't seen the original to compare but this was pretty enjoyable. Branagh chews scenery like no other as Poirot and it's a solid whodunnit film. The cinematography/set design was fantastic. The long tracking/panning shots are awesome, they're everywhere in the film.

14. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    Saw Justice League today and while I usually can't stand anything involving Zack Snyder or Joss Whedon I actually enjoyed it and felt it was a step in the right direction yes the villain was lame and more a plot device than actual character but the villains in most of these movies aren't up to snuff when compared to the source material anyway.
    The opening scene is a nice callback to Tim Burton's 1st Batman which is cool but the first half hour after it was garbage that just kept jumping from scene to scene but once it got going it was pretty solid and unlike the Avengers which seems to revolve around Iron Man being a prick to everyone all of the team got a moment to shine in this and I really enjoyed the dynamic between them quite a bit.

15. Bloody_Inferno

Bad Genius

This was a pleasant surprise. The mundane premise of high school kids taking exams and turning it into an intense heist-style movie is something I'd expect to see in an anime, but the commitment Bad Genius makes into doing so, and pulling it off so well, is impressive. Awesome heart pumping fun.

16. Bloody_Inferno

Jigsaw

A bit late to the party with this one. And certainly haven't bothered to keep up with the continuity after Saw 2 (maybe saw 3 as well but I forgot). I still think the original Saw is my favorite (possibly my Melbourne home bias and I've gunned for James Wan and Leigh Whannell since), but I thought this was alright. It's still no Saw 1 but it's another Saw movie.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  17. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Ragnarok!

I can't recall the last time I had that much fun watching a movie in the theater. I laughed more than I laugh at most 'comedy' films. The pacing was near-perfect (save maybe a bit of meandering in the third act) and I love that they simultaneously raised the stakes while lightening the mood.

*edit* Also, WOW @ the trailer for Black Panther.

18. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

The founder

thought the first half was interesting and entertaining in setting it up . then it really didn't go anywhere .kind of a weird movie. I thought Keaton was great in it though . and he was the reason we watched it